Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dannunz
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180626_115425003 (resized).jpg
    please (resized).png
    8E809816-B247-4809-AE10-C1E2B6D74FF8 (resized).jpeg
    0A6769BA-C8A1-4517-A80C-E0D9AAE5A552.gif
    11D5BD80-BE48-4E43-A841-2985EABC862A (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1666 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20180626_115425003 (resized).jpg
    46ab112ea85fe745199715ca665cdbdebb3fe3a6.jpg
    a63dab32e852c6e6bfff21ce45cfd9e1aa5965c6.jpg
    IMG_1178 (resized).jpg
    2D68BD49-C98F-4599-B7D4-26ED56CAB229 (resized).jpeg
    faris01 (resized).png
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just saying all this doesn't make it so.
    Perhaps you should start a new pinball company and churn out a bunch of 80s style games for $4500. We need more pinball companies!
    I'd advise you stay away from the words "street level" in your marketing though, considering how badly Gottlieb failed with the concept in the early 90s.

I am not a company and no interest.

Just saying it cant be done does not make it so either mr levi

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not a company and no interest.
    Just saying it cant be done does not make it so either mr levi

The burden of proof is always on the imaginary BOM experts who claim to know what producing a pinball machine costs mr hilton

Mafia is basically a large Zizzle and they want $8,000 for it.

#53 5 years ago

BOM isn't even the real "cost" of the machine. Look at the money deeproot is spending now on this big staff. For how many months/years before their actual games will come out. That has to be made back somewhere.

And profit of course.

Not sure why pinball companies aren't allowed to profit from their work.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Not sure why pinball companies aren't allowed to profit from their work.

Who said they aren't?

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The burden of proof is always on the imaginary BOM experts who claim to know what producing a pinball machine costs mr hilton

that is Mr Snow to you

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd advise you stay away from the words "street level" in your marketing though, considering how badly Gottlieb failed with the concept in the early 90s.

I think it's worth noting that part of Premier's problem with their street level series was the pricing to operators. The distributors were not obligated to offer the street level games cheaper, and many either kept the price the same as the full-featured games were or only gave slight discounts. So, when operators were evaluating new games, and Diner and Silver Slugger were about the same price... well, the choice was obvious. That wouldn't happen today (thanks to the Internet everyone knows the MSRP for all pins), but I have no idea if there's a sizeable market today for stripped-down, stripped-price pins that are operator-ready (versus home models like The Pin).

#58 5 years ago
    0A6769BA-C8A1-4517-A80C-E0D9AAE5A552.gif0A6769BA-C8A1-4517-A80C-E0D9AAE5A552.gif
    #59 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

[quoted image]

God I love Clint Eastwood.

My girlfriend hates him. So does my mom. It's a guy thing!?

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

even simple math says that a full cab with paint = 1k
    full board set = 1k
    populated pf w 2 flippers, a few pops, a few spinners, a 4 bank of drops, a bunch of standups = 1.5 k
    various crap I am forgetting = $500

4k for a machine

A real company tosses in scale of production and bring down the cost a bunch.

Work it form the inverse direction, YES a simple classic game is way simpler to build than a Stern Pro. If Stern is killing it will current modern games selling at 5500 then they can surely shave 1k from BOM making a Seawitch and sell a tone of them at $4500. I am amazed they are not doing it TBT. Call it the classic model and offer 1 er year of all their best titles.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Here was his amazing poster art and key chain this year.

Are the keychains still available??

#62 5 years ago

I wouldn't care if it's street level or not, but if they insist on doing games about antique rock bands or movies or toning them down to be family friendly with cheesy artwork, then they will be no different than what else is out there now. I'm hoping they have a different plan than that.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I wouldn't care if it's street level or not, but if they insist on doing games about antique rock bands or movies or toning them down to be family friendly with cheesy artwork, then they will be no different than what else is out there now. I'm hoping they have a different plan than that.

The "family-friendly" rant is your new material?! THIS is what we waited 5 years for?

Might be time to hang it up.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

God I love Clint Eastwood.
    My girlfriend hates him. So does my mom. It's a guy thing!?

Well you deserved an Eastwood gif for that one Levi

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Might be time to hang it up.

Might be time for you to hang it up if you don't care for anything more cutting edge or creative than that.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Might be time for you to hang it up if you don't care for anything more cutting edge or creative than that.

I was gonna say the same thing about "antique rock bands" and "games need more tits."

Surely you have more to offer?

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I was gonna say the same thing about "antique rock bands" and "games need more tits."
    Surely you have more to offer?

Just stick with the games you feel safe bringing home to your mother.

#68 5 years ago

Odin V Levi. West coast v East coast. surfer supreme yelp maybe retired dude v weird energy drink spokesman guy

thats the dream theme.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Odin V Levi. West coast v East coast. surfer supreme yelp maybe retired dude v weird energy drink spokesman guy
    thats the dream theme.

My flight back from Germany, where I saw many antique rock bands and engaged in many family unfriendly
    Activities...

8E809816-B247-4809-AE10-C1E2B6D74FF8 (resized).jpeg8E809816-B247-4809-AE10-C1E2B6D74FF8 (resized).jpeg
    #70 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

even simple math says that a full cab with paint = 1k
    full board set = 1k
    populated pf w 2 flippers, a few pops, a few spinners, a 4 bank of drops, a bunch of standups = 1.5 k
    various crap I am forgetting = $500
    4k for a machine
    A real company tosses in scale of production and bring down the cost a bunch.
    Work it form the inverse direction, YES a simple classic game is way simpler to build than a Stern Pro. If Stern is killing it will current modern games selling at 5500 then they can surely shave 1k from BOM making a Seawitch and sell a tone of them at $4500. I am amazed they are not doing it TBT. Call it the classic model and offer 1 er year of all their best titles.

You are missing a lot of costs here. Employee salaries and benefits, insurance, rent, utilities, machinery, permits, taxes, etc. And, of course, there needs to be some profit built in so they can invest in the business.

Stern is not a good example as they likely have very large economies of scale.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

You are missing a lot of costs here. Employee salaries and benefits, insurance, rent, utilities, machinery, permits, taxes, etc. And, of course, there needs to be some profit built in so they can invest in the business.
    Stern is not a good example as they likely have very large economies of scale.

that is the whole point. Even using simple math it is easy to see how someone that is an actual pinball manufacturer can make a simple game (or reproduce a classic) with very little effort for much cheaper than current pro pricing.

Take a star gazer as a quick and dirty. Art is done so just minimal cost/effort for all that.
    2 flippers, 3 pops, 3 3-banks, 3 spinners, 9 stand ups, and a through are the major parts. This can all be done for $1500 retail in parts on the pf.
    modernize it with a new board set and simplified wiring and lighting and your assembly becomes minimal. No layers of ramps or extra stuff to deal with cuts lots of actual assembly time and people. most expensive part is the 3 bank drops for $150 retail.

cabinet art is 2 color paint and will take less effort

re-program code for the new board set with some junior staff and hell you could even spend a little time refining it to make things slightly different.

Manufacturing scale of course cuts cost down majorly for all these things. If stern can design and build brand new modern Pros with all new assets and a full team of 10+ design people per game, then remaking a classic is going to be less. All simple math, but it also seems easy to put together in my opinion.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Take a star gazer as a quick and dirty. Art is done so just minimal cost/effort for all that.
    2 flippers, 3 pops, 3 3-banks, 3 spinners, 9 stand ups, and a through are the major parts. This can all be done for $1500 retail in parts on the pf.

Isn't that more than deadpool has?

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

that is the whole point. Even using simple math it is easy to see how someone that is an actual pinball manufacturer can make a simple game (or reproduce a classic) with very little effort for much cheaper than current pro pricing.
    modernize it with a new board set and simplified wiring and lighting and your assembly becomes minimal. No layers of ramps or extra stuff to deal with cuts lots of actual assembly time and people. most expensive part is the 3 bank drops for $150 retail.
    cabinet art is 2 color paint and will take less effort
    re-program code for the new board set with some junior staff and hell you could even spend a little time refining it to make things slightly different.
    Manufacturing scale of course cuts cost down majorly for all these things. If stern can design and build brand new modern Pros with all new assets and a full team of 10+ design people per game, then remaking a classic is going to be less. All simple math, but it also seems easy to put together in my opinion.

It does seem so simple! Clearly Stern are morons for not doing this and leaving all that free money on the street! What's wrong with these guys?

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Isn't that more than deadpool has?

sad but... yes I believe so

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Think about all the coils in TNA’s drop target mech and tell me it’s cheaper than a plastic ramp.

Coilgument!

#76 5 years ago

At the risk of getting back on topic...

Dennis can you share whether or not your original theme machine is on track for a reveal next year during the days of deeproot? Is that the hope/intent?

#77 5 years ago

Yea. Can’t wait to see the first game actually for sale.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

Dennis can you share whether or not your original theme machine is on track for a reveal next year during the days of deeproot?

please (resized).pngplease (resized).png

#79 5 years ago

Anyone know what Paul's been up to? Been a long break, and a really long time since his most lauded titles.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

At the risk of getting back on topic...

Dennis can you share whether or not your original theme machine is on track for a reveal next year during the days of deeproot? Is that the hope/intent?

Nope, can't share.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man they are really gettin' the band back together!
    I hear Wayne Neyens is still alive - and looking spry!

Wayne may be 100 but he has more hair than you! love you Levi, it's all in good fun.

2 weeks later
    #82 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Anyone know what Paul's been up to? Been a long break, and a really long time since his most lauded titles.

He did our poster this year.

IMG_20180626_115425003 (resized).jpgIMG_20180626_115425003 (resized).jpg
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paul-faris-joins-the-deeproot-team/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.