pb2.jpeg
pb1.jpeg
#1 8 years ago

Hi All,

I picked up a Paul Bunyan a couple days ago:

IMG_0059.jpgIMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0057.jpgIMG_0057.jpg

Thank you, everyone, thank you.

This will likely be a resto-thread that is slow to update (as I have a couple other projects I'm working on), but while I'm waiting on some parts orders for said projects...why not get this going.

So, I'm starting off with an issue that I'm hoping will be easy for everyone but me. My lockdown bar won't attach to the machine.

I'm convinced that I need to extend the screws so they can be caught by the lock-down mech in the cab:

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG

However, I'm not able to unscrew the the screws. They seem to be stuck in place. So when I turned the lockdown bar around, it looks like the screw has a set-screw (or something?) that keeps it from turning (this little hole near the main screw):

photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG

...which I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to unscrew. I tried my assortment of Harbor Freight allen wrenches...

photo (11).JPGphoto (11).JPG

...to no avail. The closer I look at those set-screws, the more I'm wondering...are they even hexagonal in there? ...and how can I get those out? ...and, boy, do I hope extending the lockdown bar screws fixed this problem!

Thanks for any help out there from the die-hard Gottliebers in the audience. This is my first one.

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#2 8 years ago

See You got another Beauty there.

Looking at that Allen set screw, it looks as if one side is rounded out. That's the problem with smaller Allen set screws unfortunately. They can easily strip, or even split. set screw.jpgset screw.jpg You may need to get a set of screw extractors to remove it, and replace the set screw.

It appears to be (mind you I'm looking at the pictures you posted, so I can't exactly scale them) a 6X32 size set screw.
Maybe some here can verify what size is used

BTW I found the lock down bar adjustment screws on Marcos site. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-7408

#3 8 years ago

Hi Gir,

Great to see you over here. Thanks for the suggestion of the...

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

set of screw extractors

I'm still not certain I have the exact right size of allen wrench for the job. I figured I might haul my lock-down bar into a big box store and try a few allen wrench sizes before purchasing, just to make sure I'm getting the right one. However, if that fails me, I might need to look for those...

set of screw extractors

Having never heard of...

...I poked around and found this handy video about how to use...

...which was actually pretty informative.

However, for those who enjoy their handyman advice with a healthy dose of suggestive music, I would recommend this video:

That second video isn't NSFW, but the soundtrack might be. (God bless the internet. Also, Robin and Mods, please don't send this thread to the basement.)

I also looked around for a set online:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRL3WP4/ref=as_li_tl

...but fear I might not get a bit small enough for that little screw. Maybe if the big box allen wrenches don't work I can search for some big box...

P.S. Do you have any recommendations for lubricants to use on this stubborn little guy?

#4 8 years ago

Hi Ryan,

It's difficult to tell from your photos but the lockbar from my Paul Bunyan doesn't look the same? I'm wondering if someone swapped in the wrong lockbar? Edit: My lockbar fits and locks fine.
PB Lockdown Bar.jpgPB Lockdown Bar.jpg

The second photo shows the part that slides in and locks the bar down. Is yours the same as mine?
Locking Mechanism.jpgLocking Mechanism.jpg

Bruce

#6 8 years ago

Hmm. Bruce's has the more typical locknut on screw type adjustment. Ryan, I've honestly not seen your type before. Most (edit: all) of the post-type lockbar I've messed with have the locknut deal and not the set screw. I think you're on the right track with girs suggestion or dragging the bar to a tool shop to get the right size wrench (if that is the problem). Next time I'm at a particular customers house, I'll take a look at their lockbar as well. You have my curiosity.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Is yours the same as mine?

Mmmmm...I think you're right. Looks like yours doesn't have those little set screws. Here's a few more pics:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

It seems to be the right size:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#8 8 years ago

I took closeups of my lockdown bar for comparison with yours.

Bruce

20151202_211616.jpg20151202_211616.jpg

20151202_211732.jpg20151202_211732.jpg

20151202_211820.jpg20151202_211820.jpg

#9 8 years ago

Hehehe, I see someone failed another roll to resist. Congrats on your next project!

-Andy

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

P.S. Do you have any recommendations for lubricants to use on this stubborn little guy?

Screw extractors .... wait ....?

If you're looking for something to use after you've extracted the screw, use any good anti-seize compound on the threads. You can find it in any good auto parts store. just a small amount will help keep the set screw from getting stuck again.

as far as removing the set screw, Liquid Wrench or Prolong work well, but you need to find some way to get it on the threads, and let it set for a while. You are probably going to still need to use ... wait for it ... screw extractors to get the set screw out. Home Depot carries a set made by Bosch that should be fine. they only cost $27 for the set: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Screw-Extractor-and-Black-Oxide-Drill-Set-12-Piece-B46215/203598110

Don't rely on a set from Horror Freight. This is one of those things that you don't want to go cheap on.

#11 8 years ago

I took closeups of my lockdown bar for comparison with yours.
Bruce

Hm! The differences continue on the top of the lockdown bar. Yours have the knobby sides while mine do not.

image.jpgimage.jpg

This next ipdb picture corroborates your findings (with knobby sides):

image.jpgimage.jpg

Another issue of note is that my lockdown bar is PRETTY-pretty tight on either side. I can get it to fit on, but it definitely takes some finagling:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I've never experienced a lockdown bar this tight, but initially assumed that maybe it got bent or something.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I have the wrong one.

#12 8 years ago

Nice pickup, Mr. Claytor. Nice collection you've got going there!!

#13 8 years ago

Fof LOLs, but someone linked this on the "Craigs List Laughs" topic:

detroit.craigslist.org link

Not only is it not a Bally game, but look at what's missing on the cabinet.

#14 8 years ago

Once you are finished with the restore, this would make a great topper ...

Paul_Bunyan.jpgPaul_Bunyan.jpg

#15 8 years ago

Fof LOLs, but someone linked this on the "Craigs List Laughs" topic:
detroit.craigslist.org link
Not only is it not a Bally game, but look at what's missing on the cabinet.

That's the one I bought. Ha-Ha! ...not for $450, but that's the one in my basement now. I was happy to haul off that ole' "Bally."

Quoted from gweempose:

PM me the dimensions! In the meantime I'll measure the vertical clearance of my basement.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

That's the one I bought. Ha-Ha! ...not for $450, but that's the one in my basement now. I was happy to haul off that ole' "Bally."

No way! Looks like you cleaned it up quite a bit since the picture on Craig's List was posted. It doesn't look like the same machine any more.

#17 8 years ago

Another thread to follow, let's do it.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Paul_Bunyan.jpg

How about this one? I've seen it in person many times. It's gotta be almost 25 feet tall.

paul.jpgpaul.jpg

#19 8 years ago

Wait a minute... That's not a putter he's holding!

#20 8 years ago

No way! Looks like you cleaned it up quite a bit since the picture on Craig's List was posted.

I swear that machine is now in my basement, and the purchase included the lockdown bar in question. After noticing the absence of the lockdown bar in the ad, I asked the seller if he had it. He told me he did. ...just didn't mention it wouldn't fit. Ha-ha! Puttin' his best foot forward, I suppose.

Anyhow, I was excited about this game, but the seller and I couldn't come together on a price that worked for both of us. Since it seemed like a lost cause for me, I tried giving it away over in Pecos' Pinball Projects thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-project-pins-for-sale-here-cl-ebay-pinside-and-others/page/5#post-2805873

...by posting these additional pictures I coaxed out of the seller:

pb1.jpegpb1.jpeg

pb2.jpegpb2.jpeg

I mean, the seller wasn't doing himself any favors with the pic he posted on that initial ad:

pb3.jpgpb3.jpg

And as you mentioned...

...his description wasn't exactly spot-on either. Ha-ha!

Long story short, the seller and I kept in contact and last Sunday he asked if I could come pick it up that day. Patience paid off and after getting it home, I was pleased to see some great lookin' plastics under all that dust on the glass:

pbPlastic01.jpgpbPlastic01.jpgpbPlastic02.jpgpbPlastic02.jpgpbPlastic03.jpgpbPlastic03.jpgpbPlastic04.jpgpbPlastic04.jpgpbPlastic05.jpgpbPlastic05.jpg

Some cleaning to be done, for sure, but I'm thinking it should be a pretty decent game once gone through! I'm looking forward to starting in on this project (after my other couple projects). *LOL* For now...here's hoping I can get this lockdown bar to fit.

Quoted from futurepinhead:

Another thread to follow, let's do it.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

How about this one? I've seen it in person many times. It's gotta be almost 25 feet tall.

Let's see, the machine is almost 6' tall. If I build a platform on top of the backbox to accommodate the 25' recommended "topper" that brings us to a 31' (or 3 stories tall, whichever you prefer). Looks like I may have finally found the right accessory for my basement with 4-story cathedral ceilings.

Wait a minute... That's not a putter he's holding!

Well, one side could be used for putting. The other side would be good for dealing with the frustration of those QUADRUPLE OUTLANES(!??!).

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Let's see, the machine is almost 6' tall. If I build a platform on top of the backbox to accommodate the 25' recommended "topper" that brings us to a 31' (or 3 stories tall, whichever you prefer). Looks like I may have finally found the right accessory for my basement with 4-story cathedral ceilings.

See? It'll be a perfect fit

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I asked the seller if he had it. He told me he did. ...just didn't mention it wouldn't fit

Did you ask if he might have the right lockbar? Maybe you can find the correct lockbar in EM parts or on eBay.

Bruce

#23 8 years ago

Did you ask if he might have the right lockbar?

The seller knows next to nothing about pinball machines. This was his only pin, picked-up in a package deal along with a jukebox (which he's still trying to sell...I took pix if anyone is interested, just PM me), and a car(!??!). Anyhow, I'm 99% certain he does not have it, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

... I mean, the seller wasn't doing himself any favors with the pic he posted on that initial ad:OUTLANES(!??!).

At least he was honest in the description, and didn't ask $7K for it and use the "R" (Rare) word in the description.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

But will it fit thru the door?

#26 8 years ago

A stage door, perhaps.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Now I'm starting to wonder if I have the wrong one.

Yup, you've got the lockdown bar for later Gottlieb EM machines. Based on the info at Pinball Resource, it looks like they changed lockdown bar styles in 1971. http://www.pbresource.com/lockdb.html

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

How about this one?

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Looks like I may have finally found the right accessory for my basement with 4-story cathedral ceilings.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Quoted from ForceFlow:

A stage door, perhaps.

A must have for any 4-story basement.

The_Price_is_Right_1975-1996_Door-3.gifThe_Price_is_Right_1975-1996_Door-3.gif

#29 8 years ago

... must ... resist ... urge ... to yell, "A NEW CAR!!!"

#30 8 years ago

LOCKDOWN BAR MYSTERY
----------------------------

Okay, so I took my lockdown bar to the local big box store today.

We tried every allen wrench they had. No dice. Either too small, too big, or the wrench just spun without being able to catch any edges. Nope.

We tried jamming a small flat-head screw driver in there in an attempt to catch an edge and unscrew it that way.

We looked for a...

...screw extractor...

...that was small enough to work on that little set screw. Their smallest one was too big.

We were kind of at a loss for what to do. The employee's only other suggestion (besides taking it to a metal/welding shop) would be to superglue an allen wrench in there and hope it provided enough security/torque to unscrew it at that point. So, I bought...

1d57198e-81ed-4cd6-930c-ec3c96e56d74.jpg1d57198e-81ed-4cd6-930c-ec3c96e56d74.jpg

...a crappy set of allen wrenches and some Gorilla Glue. I haven't attempted this "fix" yet, but thought I'd run it by folks in here first to see if you have any thoughts/alternate suggestions/etc.

The employee had one last thought, perhaps the tiny screw could be drilled out, and just, like, drill it away?. I guess that could work too? Is that tiny set screw really needed? Or is it just to keep the main screw from moving (screwing/unscrewing) slightly? I mean, I really have no idea what the set screw looks like and how it interacts with the main lockdown bar adjustment screw, but I'm guessing it just sort of screws into and bites into the main screw(?). So, I suppose I could do my best to drill into the little set screw up to the main screw, but do my best not to penetrate the main screw. Maybe then I could unscrew the main screw? I guess I could attempt this even if the gorilla glue method didn't work.

Steve-Martin.gifSteve-Martin.gif

Also...

Quoted from Overphase:

Yup, you've got the lockdown bar for later Gottlieb EM machines. Based on the info at Pinball Resource, it looks like they changed lockdown bar styles in 1971. http://www.pbresource.com/lockdb.html

...so I took a look at those (courtesy of Pinball Resource):

gtb-d14008a.jpggtb-d14008a.jpg

...and they look pretty much like mine. The description said (among other things):

- -- ----- -- -
Reproduction Lockdown Bar

These are reproduction lockdown bars(Front Moulding Assembly).
They are a single piece, flat bar!

This lockdown bar can be used as:

~1967 King Of Diamonds - ~1971 Four Square
A replacement for Gottlieb® games. Note - this will change the look of the game versus the welded on end caps!

~1971 Astro - ~ 1976 Surfer
An exact reproduction!
- -- ----- -- -

So, from that description, I'm assuming that even though my lockdown bar might not be stock, it sounds like it should at least fit.

As usual, I'm open to being educated.

#31 8 years ago

Man, you're really starting a lot of projects. How's the wife doing?

v13.gifv13.gif

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

The employee had one last thought, perhaps the tiny screw could be drilled out, and just, like, drill it away?. I guess that could work too?

That would be my why-didn't-someone-suggest-this-already suggestion.

968.gif968.gif

Just take a drill bit and drill that screw away. If you have to have a set screw (which I doubt) you can always rethread and use a bigger set screw.

#32 8 years ago

That would have been my next question. After all the messing around trying to adjust the lockdown bar bolts will it even work? I really hope so!

When I get a set screw that small that is stuck and it's too small for an extractor, I usually go at it with left handed drill bits. Works just like a right handed bit but with your drill in reverse. As it eats away at the body of the set screw, eventually there will be too little left to hold and the bit will screw the rest out. At least that's the idea.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19101406

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

go at it with left handed drill bits

Is there any reason normal drill bits should be avoided?

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Is there any reason normal drill bits should be avoided?

I can't think of any reason why the direction would matter.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

How's the wife doing?

Oh my god, we both cracked-up at this! Nice choice of animated gif. (You know that compliment doesn't come without experience.)

...also, thanks for the drill-out suggestion.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I can't think of any reason why the direction would matter.

If you use a left handed drill bit, they will normally back the screw out before you drill thru it. Of course, you need to run the drill in REVERSE for a left hand bit to work. I used to use this trick all the time back when we had our machine shop.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

If you use a left handed drill bit, they will normally back the screw out before you drill thru it. Of course, you need to run the drill in REVERSE for a left hand bit to work. I used to use this trick all the time back when we had our machine shop.

That makes sense.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Oh my god, we both cracked-up at this! Nice choice of animated gif. (You know that compliment doesn't come without experience.)
...also, thanks for the drill-out suggestion.

I don't usually use gifs but I was inspired by your posts.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

If you use a left handed drill bit, they will normally back the screw out before you drill thru it.

Sounds like the same principle as a...

...screw extractor.

I'm getting really close to just tossing a good ole' 'merican red-blooded right-handed drill all up in that set screw. ...but it is late. Time to sleep on it.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'm getting really close to just tossing a good ole' 'merican red-blooded right-handed drill all up in that set screw. ...but it is late. Time to sleep on it.

Screw Extractors .... I mean, where does one get left handed drill bits? England?

I kid! I Kid!

#40 8 years ago

I would not advise a screw extractor, especially one that small. they are extremely hard and brittle & if it snaps off in the hole you have created a bigger problem.
Oh yeah, & that gorilla glue suggestion was dumb as shit. Do not do that.

Actually, thinking back to my machine shop days dealing with removing amateur mechanics broken off screw extractors & drill bits, I would suggest taking it to a shop BEFORE you mess with it.

1 month later
#41 8 years ago

Ryan, did you ever get those locking posts out?
E

Are you sure those aren't roll pins and not set screws?

#42 8 years ago

Admittedly, I've been a little pre-occupied. So...no, not yet. And, no, I'm not sure they're not roll pins instead of set screws. These are the first roll pins/set screws I've ever seen. Ha-ha! So I'm open to any suggestions. What exactly is a roll-pin?

Thanks for chiming in, Electric Squirrel!

#43 8 years ago

A roll pin is a rolled up piece of spring steel that is tapered at both ends. Tapped in with a hammer. As it goes into the hole which is slightly smaller in diameter than the pin, the pin compresses and that pressure is what holds it in place.
rollpin_(resized).jpgrollpin_(resized).jpg

To remove it, one must have the proper sized punch or something similar.
rollpinpunch_(resized).jpgrollpinpunch_(resized).jpg

To figure out if this is what you have, try to shine light through it. Even the smallest roll pin will always have a small opening in the middle.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Admittedly, I've been a little pre-occupied. So...no, not yet. And, no, I'm not sure they're not roll pins instead of set screws. These are the first roll pins/set screws I've ever seen. Ha-ha! So I'm open to any suggestions. What exactly is a roll-pin?
Thanks for chiming in, Electric Squirrel!

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

A roll pin is a rolled up piece of spring steel that is tapered at both ends. Tapped in with a hammer. As it goes into the hole which is slightly smaller in diameter than the pin, the pin compresses and that pressure is what holds it in place.
rollpin_(resized).jpg
To remove it, one must have the proper sized punch or something similar.
rollpinpunch_(resized).jpg
To figure out if this is what you have, try to shine light through it. Even the smallest roll pin will always have a small opening in the middle.

While having a set of pin punches is not a bad idea and in the coin op business / hobby some day you will need a good set. But they won't help in this case. Those are Allen screws.
1. Roll (or Spring) pins do not have six sided holes. Look at the close up picture.
2. Why would a pin be used to lock an adjustable bolt? And how would you ever remove it if there's only a hole on one side? Pins are used mostly to attach other parts to shafts or links that move (i.E. a plunger link, or a collar on a shaft) Not to secure a part into a non moving position.

#45 8 years ago

Just answering the man's question. For this particular repair, I stick with my (much maligned) original suggestion of a left-handed drill bit.

Side note - if you ever find yourself with a difficult to remove roll pin, do not attempt to drill it out. That sucker is tempered and you will waste a lot of drill bits while it laughs at you. Heat + pressure = success.

#46 8 years ago

It can be taken out with a carbide endmill.

#47 8 years ago

Looking for the proper lock bar might be a better use of your energy..........

#48 8 years ago

Yup. My Gottlieb 300 has roll pins in there.
I bet that is what you're dealing with.

You either need to mill them out, pull them out or push them out.
They are hardened you can't drill them out.

E.

#49 8 years ago

I have also suggested that he probably shouldn't waste time on the lockbar at the moment... since ya know the machine doesn't work and he'll have to fix some stuff under the glass and clean and so forth.

Lockbar is the last on my list.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Side note - if you ever find yourself with a difficult to remove roll pin, do not attempt to drill it out. That sucker is tempered and you will waste a lot of drill bits while it laughs at you.

^^This^^

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paul-bunyan-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.