Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MMforever
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MM-wizard-potty-topper.jpg
    th_HillbillyDance.gif
    sucker-born-every.jpg
    caddyshack.bill_.murray.jpeg
    image.jpg
    shit-emoticon-363.gif
    shit-emoticon.gif
    shit-emoticon.gif
    image.jpg
    1739594160_small.jpg
    d1.jpg
    d3.jpg
    d2.jpg
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

Becoming a good enough painter to reproduce a pros artwork would take years of training. Learning how to modify this TP dispenser to house some LEDs would take hours at most.

#52 10 years ago

I feel bad for the people that actually bought these when he announced them as limited edition run.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I'm not an artist. Looking at the topper, there's no way I could have painted it in such a manner. It has an almost translucent black shiny coat. The eyes are well installed and the topper looks great. I would not have been capable of inserting the led eyes the same way. Yea I don't care what the bill of materials are. There was no promise of the cost of the BOM before I bought nor was it discussed. So, sure. I'd be ok with it.

So I take it you're saying you'd buy another one tomorrow if you needed it. If you do, let me know I'll do one for you for $400.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I think that everyone on this board is CAPABLE of doing this mod. Whether or not it's worth 450$ to you to take a few minutes and learn some extremely basic soldering skills, a buy a masonry bit to drill through porcelain or not....your call

I am on the order for a MMr. I decided to buy the topper and see if I can mod it on my own. I am not a handyman but will try to drill the toy and add the LED's per Frax's directions. I will also have the toy painted by my paint guy...

Here is an example of his work ...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-toys-are-all-done-and-painted

I will let everyone know how much it ends up costing me or it was too hard to drill and add the LED's for a newbie. Of course I will try to drill the eye's and add the LED's before I get it painted.

I am not sure which one will look better the Pinball Decals or the one with the candles. Of course I would change the candles for LEDs.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

So do people bitch about the mark up on an expensive painting? I mean the canvas and paint maybe only cost $5.00. How can any "patsy" pay $1000, $5000, $10000 for this art? I suppose anyone can reproduce the painting but they're just too lazy to do so? Not everything is directly priced based on the BOM that goes into it.

Well, painting is certainly a copy-able skill....chinese factories have been doing that for a while now. You get a great reproduction piece of art at a much cheaper price that has a legit texture to it but not physically identical.

I'm not accounting for JUST the BOM, dude. Come on. Even if they're sandblasting the thing down to base and THEN repainting it or hell even glazing it in a kiln (if that's possible?), the labor and materials cost in this conversion is about jack squat. Would it be as offensive if it was 150, 175, or 200? No. Of course not. Would I still be irked? Well....yeah. Because they try to pass it off like it's some special thing that they invented, which is a total crock.

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

I am not a handyman but will try to drill the toy and add the LED's per Frax's directions.

Okay, to be fair, I was mostly being a sarcastic dick with those directions and simplifying it a lot. If you want my actual advice shoot me a PM..I don't know if this thing is ceramic, stoneware, or what... I can definitely diagram out a harness for you that should be easy to assemble for anyone with some flat-faced pliers, a soldering iron, and any experience soldering and crimping connectors...

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballInc:

So I take it you're saying you'd buy another one tomorrow if you needed it. If you do, let me know I'll do one for you for $400.

You should probably make a couple and sell them on eBay then. But yea. I bought one. I paid the $500. It looks great. The price of the objects to make it weren't discussed before I bought one. Why would I get mad now after the fact? I got what I paid for. There was no false advertising. There was no promise that this was an expensive item to make.

I can tell you that after seeing what I got, I wouldn't have been capable of making it myself. And I have extensive soldering skills and do all my own board repair. Those are different skills than doing something that looks aesthetically appealing. I have a friend that has these skills, iamdarris. If I needed another, I'd ask him for help. If there were cheaper options for the same thing, I'd use those. But if no one else is doing something then the item can be as highly priced as it can if it sells. I don't see the problem.

I did put some red light under it and it really makes the translucent black shine.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

There was no false advertising. There was no promise that this was an expensive item to make.

The exact quote on the website:

"This is a custom made work of art for your Medieval Madness Pinball Machine."

Sorry but that's a crock of feces. It is misleading at best. Custom made work of art? It's a bloody toilet paper holder painted black with clear coat on it.

#59 10 years ago

So how many of you people actually bought this? The only one here that did seems to be me. And I'm the only one no up in arms. Doesn't that seem a bit odd?

#60 10 years ago

I'd be happy to take a look at the "electronics" running it, but I'm sure it's probably too much of a PITA to pull out the game just to prove me wrong. Not like PDI shows anything on their site.

Mark, you really expect that you're anything but a minority paying 500 bucks for a topper? I don't think you should be mad about it per se....like you said...you got what you paid for, and clearly you thought it was worth the money at the time you paid for it...no harm no foul. But seems to me like it's pointless for people to order it from them NOW given the current info, and I expect that it would not be that difficult to replicate. Probably the hardest part is getting it uniformly painted and cleared over. Red lights underneath sounds like a good idea on the black one.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

So how many of you people actually bought this? The only one here that did seems to be me. And I'm the only one no up in arms. Doesn't that seem a bit odd?

I have one as well,but I bought it second hand.
    I paid no where near the 500.00
    I like it,looks really nice.
    I wouldn't have been able to copy it myself.

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

So do people bitch about the mark up on an expensive painting? I mean the canvas and paint maybe only cost $5.00. How can any "patsy" pay $1000, $5000, $10000 for this art? I suppose anyone can reproduce the painting but they're just too lazy to do so? Not everything is directly priced based on the BOM that goes into it.

lol at comparing a spray painted toilet paper holder with fine art.

#63 10 years ago

For Sale: Limited Edition 1 of 100 Hand Crafted work of art MM & MMR Wizard Potty Mod Topper.

This brilliant and exclusive mod will delight and amaze your family and friends with every magic poof.
    Tired of watching your balls go down the drain? Worry no more! This magical mod will flush your worries away with it's drain clogging features.

Medieval Madness Wizard Potty Mod is available for the deal of the century.
    Just $599.00 USD. Add a nominal $39.99 more, and the Wizard's ball will come with LED colors that change with every squeeze & clinch of your flipper.

Wipe away your stinky backbox today & order now at www.crappytoppers.com

MM-wizard-potty-topper.jpgMM-wizard-potty-topper.jpg

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballInc:

The exact quote on the website:
    "This is a custom made work of art for your Medieval Madness Pinball Machine."
    Sorry but that's a crock of feces. It is misleading at best. Custom made work of art? It's a bloody toilet paper holder painted black with clear coat on it.

LOL

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/patsy-ultimate-topper-medieval/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.