Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dmarston
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

294929467_10159855413012492_6700635277014149465_n.jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Just saw this on Facebook, and thought it was worth sharing here too. This is the final message that Pat wrote on Rec Games when Williams closed up shop. I think this is particularly interesting to look at now, since the rumor is that Pat is once again retired from Pinball.

294929467_10159855413012492_6700635277014149465_n.jpg294929467_10159855413012492_6700635277014149465_n.jpg

It's a neat piece of history, and filled with surprisingly touching sentiments and some refreshing frankness. He shouts out a lot of good people, many of whom are still working in pinball today--like George Gomez and Dwight Sullivan, and also the late dear Lyman Sheats Jr too.

Here's the original post, but you need to be a member of Pinball Enthusiast to view it I think. Credit to Teo Grujoski.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159855413017492&set=gm.5624238840942330

#2 1 year ago

Thanks for posting. Good read

#3 1 year ago

Neat, kind of sad to read though. I'm sure he was completely devastated that day.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

I'm sure he was completely devastated that day.

I'm sure a lot of Williams people were.

The writing was on the wall for the other divisions too. Williams Atari, Williams Midway, Williams Touch Screen games.

Hell of a way to start a week after a successful P2K at Expo. People were starting to order parts for Wizard Blocks and were told to call back after the meeting.

What meeting ?

LTG : )

#5 1 year ago

Anybody that hasn’t, needs to watch Tilt: The Battle to Save Pinball. Tons of good info about this era.

#6 1 year ago

Funny you posted this. I have to give a speech on the History of Pinball in a couple of months and I went back and watched George Gomez's famous speech on Pinball 2000 to help me prepare for my speech. I've watched this video literally a hundred times over the years and it never ceases to amaze me how well he told the story of designing RFM. I always found it very inspiring. If you haven't seen it look it up on You tube. I think all the people in that room were on such a high from this new design, including myself as I was sitting in the room that day too at the old Ramada. And then hearing the news a few days later on Monday morning that Williams was no longer in the pinball business, it's still hard to believe sometimes. I'm glad a lot of those people are still around in the pinball world. As George said, "Pinball will survive".

John

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

...you need to be a member of Pinball Enthusiast to view it I think.

All of r.g.p, right up to the present day, can be viewed on groups.google.com and other sources, no membership needed. Try this:
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/search?q=%22I%20will%20miss%20Ted%27s%20thoughtfull%20analysis%20of%20a%20rule.%22&hl=en

New facts about WMS' closure of the pinball division were revealed at Pintastic New England 2022. The seminar will be posted on YouTube soon.
    .................David Marston

#8 1 year ago

Makes me wonder how the business side influenced his Toy Story 4 design and what may have been built otherwise.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jnewton:

Anybody that hasn’t, needs to watch Tilt: The Battle to Save Pinball. Tons of good info about this era.

hands down the best documentary, and overall most informative, piece of video on the topic. IMHO.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jnewton:

Quoted from bigehrl:

hands down the best documentary, and overall most informative, piece of video on the topic. IMHO.

3rd that... If you weren't a fan of Pinball 2000 you will at least appreciate the effort that went into engineering it afterwards. The special features shows video of Gene Cunningham's protos of Wizard Blocks and Playboy

#11 1 year ago

I knew that RGP went way back, but I didn't realize that it went THAT far back. All the way to the 90's. That's crazy.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

All the way to the 90's.

Early 90's. Used to be lots of industry people on it. Over time that valuable resource dried up.

LTG : )

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

I knew that RGP went way back, but I didn't realize that it went THAT far back.

RGP (rec.games.pinball) was launched on November 20, 1990. It was deemed necessary because there were so many postings about pinball in rec.games.video.arcade that protocols were merging to recognize the pinball content. The pinballers said, "We need our own newsgroup" and the (arcade) video gamers said, "We don't want to be over-run by pinball postings."

1 week later
    #14 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

New facts about WMS' closure of the pinball division were revealed at Pintastic New England 2022. The seminar will be posted on YouTube soon.

Now up:

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pat-s-final-message-to-fans-?hl=pinballomatic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.