Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pahuffman
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-61.jpg
    Crazy-Horse-Memorial-2.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ShaneBolda.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#169 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

I'm happy for Riot Pinball and JJP for having the cojones to do a non-licensed theme. Are these the only two companies willing to try it in 2015?
    -mof

Quoted from Rarehero:

Let's see how they sell. I love Lawlor games (mostly)...it will be a potential hit with people who are already pinball fans/collectors. It's potentially meaningless to anyone else. Ops are unlikely to buy it because it will be expensive AND an unknown. So, it's highly unlikely that it will sell as well as a beloved license - but, should be cool regardless.

Unfortunately... "America's Most Haunted" couldn't sound more gimmicky, cliche, and/or stereotypical of some american trying to come up with a catchy name... Hmmm, let's take a known name or phrase and reword it so it sounds similar but different... Yeah, real original.... That game also looks pretty underwhelming and boring... I appreciate the effort but this ISNT helping non-licensed games...

Similarily, I think Wrath of Olympus looks a little lacking but much better than AMH... The logo looks like something made for a kids toy or a mobile app game... The playfield is lacking toys or more artistic touches but it looks pretty nice... Again though, not really hitting a home run here...

JJP doing a Pat Lawlor original??? Thats awesome and I'm sure will be a hell of a game as long as the name and theme arent cheesy...

Hopefully Riot can do something REALLY IMPRESSIVE with Alice In Wonderland... Thats a PERFECT candidate for a Pin and should leave nothing behind... That could be a masterpiece.. Not sure which license or if its PD at this point... JJP would be able to do a phenomenal job but maybe Riot will do a good job with it...

My point or opinion here is that UNFORTUNATELY the JJP/Lawlor original seems to be the only game at this point that can really push the original game front further... Remember, all the big companies before use to do original games and its sad that people need some licensed themed game based on a movie or band to be interested... What if video games were limited by what movies were made? That would BLOW! The whole point of making games or art is to be original and creative.. not always basing something off of something else... If someone wants to knock off a book or movie with their own take on it, thats fine (not ideal) because they have creative freedom.. It just gets cheesy if its very direct and not done well.... For example, a Dracula game doesnt have to try and be the movie Bram Stokers Dracula... If done well, it can be better... Like Konami's Castlevania for Nintendo... That was and still is an awesome game...

Post edited by ShaneBolda: tag fix

#178 9 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

You do realise that it's satire, right? It's supposed to evoke those known things so that they can make fun of them.

that doesnt make it funny, cool, or good... it makes it just as lame as the stuff they are trying to make fun of..

#179 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballnut3:

Hmmm I saw all sorts of stuff pandoras box, the helmet. And is far as artistic the whole playfield is original hand drawn.
    confused by that comment.

yeah thats what i meant by BETTER than AMH... but as I mentioned there are only a couple toys/objects... MT Olympus is just another level mini-pin thats empty... its just kind of lacking.. the playfield art is pretty good, but the cab art and logo are sub-par for a 2014 pin IMO...

#181 9 years ago

OH

Quoted from pinballnut3:

Hmmm I saw all sorts of stuff pandoras box, the helmet. And is far as artistic the whole playfield is original hand drawn.

confused by that comment.

Quoted from ShaneBolda:

the cab art and logo are sub-par for a 2014 pin IMO...

OH, I would be cool if they just went retro with it, but it looks like its more of a modern original theme and the logo/name REALLY seems ripped off modern app game logos and SPECIFICALLY reminded me of "Clash of Clans"... just feels very copycat to things recently done... and the logo looks very flat/ washed out, doesnt pop at all... im just being critical, but trying to be specific and somewhat constructive

http://clashofclansandroid.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Clash-of-Clans-Android-Download.jpg

https://forum-s3.pinside.com/201308/1075234/127439.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ShaneBolda.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pat-lawlors-new-jjp-machine-progress-update?tu=ShaneBolda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.