Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pahuffman
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-61.jpg
    Crazy-Horse-Memorial-2.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am thinking more general. ALL of the potential disasters. THE end of the world pin.
    Then you can leverage all the crazy stuff in a single game. Just title it "natural disaster"
    lots of opportunity to get very creative with it

Why on earth wouldn't you title it 'Apocalypse' at that point?

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

When they finally announce that it is:
    Funhouse 2 - RUDY'S REVENGE
    Tagline:
    "Hey, it's only pinball. But now it's personal."
    Then let me know. I'm in!

This would be awesome!...

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Why on earth wouldn't you title it 'Apocalypse' at that point?

Because I am not as creative as you.

Apocalypse is even better as a title. I woudl think that might be a bit controversial.

I like "Total Devistation" but think that may be a movie? I like the nod to Cypress hill

#104 9 years ago

I heard it was going to be called "Ripley's Banzai Earthhouse No good Roadcracker Windzone Coasterblocks"

#105 9 years ago

(Edited by moderator. No political talk allowed per community rules.)

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Please do not bring ignorant politics here.

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Keep the political crap off this forum please. It leads to nothing but trouble.

#108 9 years ago

Discussing politics is actually a violation of forum rules. No, I'm not going to post a link, either.

Got any info on pats game, pinchroma?

#109 9 years ago

Sorry, couldn't resist. Its all that is on the news. Feeling mighty shitty the last few days as my dumbass 18 year old diabetic daughter is now knocked up from a wannabe rockstar that works at Fridays.

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Is the preorder going to be their business model forever?

Personally I hope so. It avoids the bidding wars between buyers who want to be first in line and the problem of being shut out on an LE version of a game. It did'nt save us as much on TH as we did on WOZ, but it still protected us from price increases. He will probably do it the same way as MMR for the future and I don't hear anyone complaining about that although someone probably will after this post.

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Its all that is on the news. Feeling mighty shitty the last few days as my dumbass 18 year old diabetic daughter is now knocked up from a wannabe rockstar that works at Fridays.

Hey, pops - stop calling me a wannabe. I'm telling you I'm gonna be a star, and I'm naming your grandchild Turnip like that douche from Coldplay did.

#112 9 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

Personally I hope so. It avoids the bidding wars between buyers who want to be first in line and the problem of being shut out on an LE version of a game. It did'nt save us as much on TH as we did on WOZ, but it still protected us from price increases. He will probably do it the same way as MMR for the future and I don't hear anyone complaining about that although someone probably will after this post.

One of the problems with this model is people want to be kept updated then piss and moan when update is not to there liking.

#113 9 years ago

What are the odds of a mini flipper?

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

What are the odds of a mini flipper?

Small.

#115 9 years ago

This is the first Jersey Jack that has a serious possibility of me wanting to have it. The Hobbit is looking good but the theme is just not for me. Wizard really is getting better and better with each updated code, still I don't consider it a must have. A new original theme Lawlor with all this new tech is something to get excited about. Wish him and his team the best~

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Congrats grandpa and you should be happy your future son in law has a job.

#117 9 years ago

So I was hoping for real updates on Lawlor's pin.
    I did get an idea though while listening to Alex and Crazy exchange pleasantries.
    I think the majority of the LE features are Dragon related..... Oh goody.

Someone please post here when we know the theme of his pin.

Ill start saving and looking for one ready to ship.

Pat please think 4 playfields. main lower upper and backbox or main lower two uppers etc.

banzai run meets haunted house Also I think you would be the perfect choice for a Muppets pin.

#118 9 years ago

Pat designing a pin for JJP is like me using mouth wash in the mourning? Ahh all better now

#119 9 years ago

Hurricanes hit New Jersey every so often.....

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

If it was going to be that quick he would have already started the preorder list.

$500.00 due NOW.

#121 9 years ago

Pinball machines I played today (so far):

Earthshaker
    Whirlwind
    Funhouse (Sorry Pat, I still hate Rudy, and I always will)
    Banzai Run
    Monopoly
    NASCAR
    Roadshow
    Addams Family
    Twilight Zone

I was too lazy to drive up to Maine to play CSI. Maybe tomorrow. Hmmm, what was the theme here...

#122 9 years ago

Can't wait to see what Lawlor comes up with!! An original theme will be pretty refreshing.

#123 9 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

One of the problems with this model is people want to be kept updated then piss and moan when update is not to there liking.

That is why you wait until you can see and possibly play the game before you buy.
    This eliminates the piss factor and cuts the moaning to somewhere in the 36% range.

#124 9 years ago

"But I am a WOZ buyer and owner (love the game). Yet my drink is safely sitting in its glass. Yup, there have been problems along the way. There were some major miscues and mistakes we all know about. Jack can't blow his nose without people complaining about which nostril it was shipped through. Yet he built an amazing game. I think he learned a shit-ton from building WOZ. And I firmly believe he built a company that can survive long term. He will fix his supply chain issues through the completion of WOZ and through The Hobbit. I'm expecting TH to be a lot smoother just because of the lessons he has had. So why wouldn't I think he can deliver Pat's game. Anyone thinking TH will be as slow as WOZ just isn't looking at reality."

Agreed! This is why hopefully TH and Pat's game won't have delays and technical problems. I think JJP learned a ton in making WOZ and even with the problems is turned out to be a great game. It's the best game I've ever owned. d I believe TH and Pat's game will be incredible. My hope is Pat's game will equal or surpass any of the incredible games he's designed so far for Williams and Stern.

#125 9 years ago

"CraZ seriously calm down before you have a stroke. The issues we're fixed and the games are nearly done. I'd hate to see the grudge you would hold and the outcome of a tirade on something that was seriously life impacting and not a hobby. Based on your commentary in that post though, it's clear how little you do know even with public information. You do know the back glasses are mirrored right? Also we tried to play and work with the P-Roc and it didn't do what we wanted the way we wanted it too. And the light issues didn't start until after games has begun shipping and it took us a bit to isolate the root cause and develop a fix. Again you are spouting out things you know nothing about even though it's all public info that I've provided when asked. Info that you probably chose to ignore because of the aggravation you have."

I'm no JJP crazy defender but I'm not surprised a new company had some tech issues, delays etc with their first product. The key to me is always a company's response to that. I believe JJP work and is working darn hard to make things right. I know they've been responsive to me and I think WOZ is an incredible game and I'm really looking forward to TH and Pat's game. I believe JJP will just get better and better at designing, building and getting games out in a more timely manner. I
    'm so glad they hired Pat and that he's doing an original theme. Can't wait to see what he designs!

#126 9 years ago

I'm waiting for a "Production has begun" photograph regarding Pat's pin to be posted by JJP as was done over two years ago for WoZ.

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from WesleyCowan:

I'm not surprised a new company had some tech issues, delays etc

If JJP had gotten the game out in a reasonable time frame all tech issues would have been forgotten. They took there first money spring 2011 and are just now finishing there pre pay run.

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

If JJP had gotten the game out in a reasonable time frame all tech issues would have been forgotten. They took there first money spring 2011 and are just now finishing there pre pay run.

I think 3 years for a "from scratch" new company is pretty damn reasonable.

#129 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

No, it's been said it wasn't a widebody...nothing has been said about it being standard width/length.

Maybe it is so wide that it will be called a squarebody game!

#130 9 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

You are doing a fine job, keep up the good detective work.

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

I've sat on the sidelines and haven't said a word but it's gotten old real quick.

WOW now thats funny.

#132 9 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

WOW now thats funny.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I'm waiting for a "Production has begun" photograph regarding Pat's pin to be posted by JJP as was done over two years ago for WoZ.

Pretty sure this photo will show up sooner for the Hobbit. Perhaps before year's end. And PL's game in 2015?

#134 9 years ago
    Quoted from WesleyCowan:

I
    'm so glad they hired Pat and that he's doing an original theme. Can't wait to see what he designs!

I'm always here to raise the obvious discussion ... why does everyone think Lawlor's next game is an automatic winner? Grand Prix? Nascar?? Monopoly?!? These are not some of the most collectible games around (despite some folks inevitably showing up to say they "think so and so is a great game"). It could be hit or miss. I really wish we had more talented young blood in the hobby to rave about then relying on old history (no offense Pat, sorry.)

#135 9 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I really wish we had more talented young blood in the hobby to rave about then relying on old history (no offense Pat, sorry.)

Makes sense. We wouldn't want someone with experience designing a new pin. Ugh.

#136 9 years ago

Training for new pinball designers and programmers is already in progress . The Pinball Council consisiting of Master Lawlor, Master Gomez, Master Johnson, Master Estes, Master Sheats, and led by Grand Master Ritchie have each taken one pinball padawan as their apprentice. After 10 years of training the apprentices will be ready to take the pinball trials and have a chance to earn a position on the council.

For over 50 years the pinball knights have been the guardians of mechanical fun and real gaming entertainment. Before the dark times. Before the smart phone games.

#137 9 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I'm always here to raise the obvious discussion ... why does everyone think Lawlor's next game is an automatic winner? Grand Prix? Nascar?? Monopoly?!? These are not some of the most collectible games around (despite some folks inevitably showing up to say they "think so and so is a great game"). It could be hit or miss. I really wish we had more talented young blood in the hobby to rave about then relying on old history (no offense Pat, sorry.)

So are you saying that having the designer of TZ and TAF along with the third iteration of the JJP platform and a winning team doesn't increase the odds of a winner? Really CraZ?!? Even I'm not saying it is an "automatic winner". What I AM saying is that when you take one of the greatest designers of all time, combine him with the abilities of a modern platform that has the capabilities of intensely deep rules, you have a better than "hit or miss" shot of getting a great game out of it. Of course it isn't a guarantee, but the entire prospect is exciting to me because I'm a pinhead.

#138 9 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Aren't Grand Prix and Nascar basically the same game?

#139 9 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

So are you saying that having the designer of TZ and TAF along with the third iteration of the JJP platform and a winning team doesn't increase the odds of a winner? Really CraZ?!? Even I'm not saying it is an "automatic winner". What I AM saying is that when you take one of the greatest designers of all time, combine him with the abilities of a modern platform that has the capabilities of intensely deep rules, you have a better than "hit or miss" shot of getting a great game out of it. Of course it isn't a guarantee, but the entire prospect is exciting to me because I'm a pinhead.

I'm also hoping that if JJP gives Pat free rein to create a machine that has likely been percolating in his brain for a while, the result will be something special.

Full Disclosure: TZ, Addams Family, Funhouse and Whirlwind are among my favorites.

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Aren't Grand Prix and Nascar basically the same game

Let us not forget Dale Jr.

LTG : )™
    Disclaimer : NASCAR for USA, Grand Prix for Europe. Dale Jr. For rednecks.

#141 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

I think 3 years for a "from scratch" new company is pretty damn reasonable.

I don't. The ovewhelming majority of new companies fail in the first 18 months. 3 years from taking money is completely unreasonable unless you are talking about something like the crazy horse monument in the black hills:

Crazy-Horse-Memorial-2.jpgCrazy-Horse-Memorial-2.jpg
    #142 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Let us not forget Dale Jr.
    LTG : )™
    Disclaimer : Nascar for USA, Grand Prix for Europe. Dale Jr. For rednecks.

or RCT

#143 9 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

I don't. The ovewhelming majority of new companies fail in the first 18 months. 3 years from taking money is completely unreasonable unless you are talking about something like the crazy horse monument in the black hills

LOL!!! Classic! We drove all the way the hell out there when we did a month-long road trip around the country. Stopped at all the national parks - it was awesome. But when we got to that monument, we drove up to the booth and they wanted to charge us $20 (or more) to drive closer to it. I said no thanks, u-turned, got out of my car, and zoomed in with the camera and got all the close-ups I wanted.

The only thing better was people trying to charge me $20 to see the four corners of states nearby. All BS!!!

#144 9 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I agree with you. Hopefully he will knock it out of the park.

#145 9 years ago

Nothing is automatic. Lawlor doesn't mean instant classic. But I do think it's a bit unfair to judge him based on games made during the dark years at Stern, when the games were stuck with crap licenses and low budgets and everyone was struggling. JJP will probably give him much more free reign with the BOM compared to those years (and a price tag to go with it I'm sure, for better or for worse) and an original theme has the potential to let him work his creativity.

As with any game I suggest keeping your wallet closed until you can play it.

#146 9 years ago

I wonder if the code will be open because it's unlicensed.

#147 9 years ago

I wonder who will be making the "toys" on his game.

#148 9 years ago

Let's hope the money that would've gone into licensing and the profit that would've gone to the licensors goes directly into the game's development and features.

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

I don't. The ovewhelming majority of new companies fail in the first 18 months. 3 years from taking money is completely unreasonable unless you are talking about something like the crazy horse monument in the black hills:
    Crazy-Horse-Memorial-2.jpg 27 KB

Clearly you have no clue what's involved in creating a brand-new pinball system from scratch, lining up vendors/suppliers for hundreds of parts, obtaining approvals from a licensee, designing and programming the new game, building and running a brand-new factory, etc. "Virtual" companies with no physical product can start up, crank stuff out, and disappear on a shorter timescale. Pinball production is not like that. At all.

#150 9 years ago
    Quoted from B9:

I wonder if the code will be open because it's unlicensed.

I wouldn't bet on it

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pat-lawlors-new-jjp-machine-progress-update/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.