(Topic ID: 60077)

Pat Lawlor Playfield Designs - Your Favorites?

By Nemesis041

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Tony01
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which of Pat Lawlor's playfield designs do you like most?”

• Banzai Run 12 votes
    6%
  • Earthshaker 10 votes
    5%
  • Whirlwind 18 votes
    9%
  • Funhouse 21 votes
    10%
  • The Addams Family (Either edition) 37 votes
    18%
  • Twilight Zone 68 votes
    33%
  • Road Show 18 votes
    9%
  • No Good Gofers 18 votes
    9%
  • Safe Cracker 2 votes
    1%

(204 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-8.jpeg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I put up a forum post about Brian Eddy's playfield designs not too long ago. I wanted to add one about Pat Lawlor designs, too. So here it is.

I hope I got all of his designs linked and in the poll. Let me know if I missed any.

EDIT: I could only put in up to nine options in the poll, I realized, so I put in only Lawlor's designs for Bally/Williams. Apologies if you like his Stern designs.

#2 8 years ago

TZ all the way, but I do enjoy TAF and Safecracker almost as much.....BanzaiRun is no slouch either with its uniqueness and Safecracker fits in there as well. Argh, I enjoy them all and its killing my checkbook!

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

TZ all the way, but I do enjoy TAF and Safecracker almost as much.....BanzaiRun is no slouch either with its uniqueness and Safecracker fits in there as well. Argh, I enjoy them all and its killing my checkbook!

Heh, honestly, I enjoy them all too. I don't blame you, he's an awesome designer!

#5 8 years ago

Jeez, maybe I should've allowed multiple votes on the poll.

#6 8 years ago

TZ. TZ by far. Very very far. Many toys, four flippers, 6 balls (Including Powerball) and of course, the Powerball. The Powerfield is a very innovative feature, with the magnets, and the game is fast, challenging and very fun. Easily his best. (I love the '60s television series too, Rod Serling was amazing.)

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinball3000:

TZ. TZ by far. Very very far. Many toys, four flippers, 6 balls (Including Powerball) and of course, the Powerball. The Powerfield is a very innovative feature, with the magnets, and the game is fast, challenging and very fun. Easily his best. (I love the '60s television series too, Rod Serling was amazing.)

Powerbaaaaaaaaall

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis041:

Powerbaaaaaaaaall

It's not yours!

#9 8 years ago

th-8.jpeg

#10 8 years ago

funhouse a good game also, but tz still better

#11 8 years ago

I like the one where you hit the jackpot from the upper flipper.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

That would be TZ, I think

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Isn't that all of them?

#14 8 years ago

Taf

#16 8 years ago

Tz, taf,Ngg

#17 8 years ago

TAF for sure.

#18 8 years ago

Did you really even need to post this? It's obviously TZ.

#19 8 years ago

Tz by a hair, a very thick hair over TAF.

#20 8 years ago

I'd have to say Grand Prix/NASCAR, only because I have one here.

#21 8 years ago

If your criteria is playfield design I don't know how BR doesn't get it, for it's time it was hugely innovative. That being said I can see how TZ and TAF will get the votes as they are his most popular games.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

Isn't that all of them?

Probably

#23 8 years ago

TZ followed by TAF for me. I also like Fun House a lot as well.

#25 8 years ago

There really needs to be an all of the above for the single best designer in pinball. TAF is the greatest thing ever made, but it's hard to knock any of his designs.

He is the MASTER of the short and long shot. Many people don't realize/appreciate this fully that even have the game, but there is no one that punishes more for missed shots than Lawlor games. Hard side drains are one thing (STTNG,BSD), but if you miss a shot in an lawlor game, there is usually a short field target there to cut it off, and send it back hard to the flippers or the outlanes.

Quoted from jayhawkai:

Another great point - he is the master at utilizing the upper flippers. You really have to hold and stage more than any other designer.

#26 8 years ago

I love both my funhouse and t/z equally and would kill for an Addams family but out of my price range!

#27 8 years ago

All of the voting options are good. He likes orbits, and there's not a single dud on the list.

#28 8 years ago

I vote for anything with Larry DeMar involved.

#29 8 years ago

I think "Mr. PinballWillBeDeadInFiveYears" is overrated... I do like my TAF though. The Python phrase "Copycat" comes to mind...

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I think "Mr. PinballWillBeDeadInFiveYears" is overrated... I do like my TAF though. The Python phrase "Copycat" comes to mind...

Oh come on, how is he overrated?? There are literally other top designers out there that haven't sold as much as TAF has alone. Man, don't even get me started on this topic - mods close this thread now or I'm going to start flipping tables...

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Oh come on, how is he overrated?? There are literally other top designers out there that haven't sold as much as TAF has alone. Man, don't even get me started on this topic - mods close this thread now or I'm going to start flipping tables...

Now, calm down, take a deep breath! I have my reasons for saying this. As you have said, TAF was a huge hit. What did he do after that? Copy it. He copied it over and over again. And what did he say at Expo last year? "Hey, look at me, I made the best selling game of all time! It still out earns Stern machines." One of my favorite games, TSPP has the "Lawlor through the pop-bumpers shot" in it. That was the one he was working on and then wasn't working on... It's just that he's stagnant and I called him a copycat because he copies himself. It's an opinion - yours may vary - thanks for being an American!

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Now, calm down, take a deep breath! I have my reasons for saying this. As you have said, TAF was a huge hit. What did he do after that? Copy it. He copied it over and over again.

TAF was a copy of WhirlWind actually, or Funhouse...whichever one came first.

EDIT: Your statement doesn't both me though, I mean it's quite obvious. It's not like he's pulling a Borg

EDIT 2: I put TZ becasue there's just so much there with 4 flippers. I'd go WhirlWind after that.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Now, calm down, take a deep breath! I have my reasons for saying this. As you have said, TAF was a huge hit. What did he do after that? Copy it. He copied it over and over again. And what did he say at Expo last year? "Hey, look at me, I made the best selling game of all time! It still out earns Stern machines." One of my favorite games, TSPP has the "Lawlor through the pop-bumpers shot" in it. That was the one he was working on and then wasn't working on... It's just that he's stagnant and I called him a copycat because he copies himself. It's an opinion - yours may vary - thanks for being an American!

Lawlor copied his games? No way. He has signature stuff, as Ritchie does, but does not copy, like Eddy or Gomez has. How is RS like TAF? How is SC like FH? Signature stuff he made famous is not copying himself like say AFM to MM, for example MB to LOTR.

I guess you getaway isn't from HS, your DW not from Pinbot, and your ACDC not from T2? all of those show more signs of previous games than ANY Lawlor machine.

I'm not even going to get into this discussion any further. Without Lawlow, pinball would have been DEAD in the early 90s. You're welcome.

Quoted from TheLaw:

TAF was a copy of Whirlwind actually

TAF was a copy of nothing.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Lawlor copied his games? No way. He has signature stuff, as Ritchie does, but does not copy, like Eddy or Gomez has. How is RS like TAF? How is SC like FH? Signature stuff he made famous is not copying himself like say AFM to MM, for example MB to LOTR.
I guess you getaway isn't from HS, your DW not from Pinbot, and your ACDC not from T2? all of those show more signs of previous games than ANY Lawlor machine.
I'm not even going to get into this discussion any further. Without Lawlow, pinball would have been DEAD in the early 90s. You're welcome.

TAF was a copy of nothing.

Good lord.

#36 8 years ago

Agreed - pinball god for sure.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Agreed - pinball god for sure.

Duh, I own 2 of them.

#39 8 years ago

I hope that at some point way in the future. We may see another Pat Lawlor pin or two.

I used to think we need some new blood out there.

But there just aren't that many great designers.

We have about 316 million people in the USA right now. And how many pinball designers, 10 ?

The chances of a Pat Lawlor, Steve Ritchie, George Gomez, John Borg, Dennis Nordman, Joe Balcer, Mark Ritchie, and maybe a few others I've forgotten, coming along isn't great.

So I hope we someday see another Pat Lawlor pin.

LTG : )

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Duh, I own 2 of them.

And so does the other guy you're yelling at

#41 8 years ago

For me he peaked with Funhouse, many later top games for sure, but there is a 'completeness' to Funhouse without the over the top of TZ, or that's how it seems to me.

#42 8 years ago

Feel the Power of the Wind!

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

RCT honorable mention.

Yeah dude! Maybe the rules aren't wicked deep, but the playfield design is awesome.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from PurpleTophat:

but the playfield design is awesome.

Yeah it's pretty far out for sure. I enjoy that game a lot.

#46 8 years ago

OP, you forgot CSI and Monopoly. My favorite is Whirlwind, timeless classic.

#47 8 years ago

RCT, like WW have playfields that seem way larger than can actually be physically contained inside the cab. All sorts of stuff going on, and a lot for a silverball to explore. That to me is what makes PF fun.

#48 8 years ago

- In terms of PF design and variety of shots: Roadshow is my favorite. Fantastic example of what use you can make of a widebody. Sadly, the rules do not fully exploit its potential - far from it -
- In terms of innovation and creativity: TZ.
- TAF: my favorite theme and quotes. But not a big fan of PF layout.
- Banzai Run is a special case - I love its vertical PF, but much less the regular one.

let's add that I love Whirlwind and Funhouse too...

Not enough plays on Safe cracker and Earthshaker to voice an opinion...
Overall, could not vote...too hard.

#49 8 years ago

It would help if he made more trashy non fun games

I enjoy "almost" everything he has designed.

#50 8 years ago

I don't think he'll ever return from what I have heard. I think the only chance you will see him again is if JJP really takes off, and maybe 4-5 machines down he might get involved. From what I have heard there is no way he's going back to Stern, and there is no way he's willing to join with anyone new/small.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside