(Topic ID: 78314)

Pat Lawlor joins JJP

By Kevin_LHeureux

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ww.jpg
    Untitled-589.png
    0406-john-pinette-getty-4[1].jpg
    image-327.jpg
    image-87.jpg
    image-188.jpg
    image-896.jpg
    image.jpg
    Neo_still at it.jpg
    FS.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    gif.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider solarvalue.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#203 10 years ago
    Quoted from Melicon:

I believe there was a recent time where Pat said something along the lines of pinball being dead. This leads me to think that the passion is no longer there.

Actually, I was just listening to the TOPcast interview with Pat Lawlor (#64, part 3) in which he explains that what he actually said was that if manufacturers continued to exclusively cater to the pinball community rather that trying to draw in new players then pinball would most likely die out in 5 years. As he explained, this is very different to saying that pinball is dead.

I highly recommend that everyone go back and listen to this interview which Clay did back in 2010, it's fascinating to hear Pat's ideas in the light of what has happened since (i.e. his being hired by JJP).

#205 10 years ago

I made a note of a few things that Pat said in that interview back in 2010 which may give us some idea about the direction he could take in designing his new machine.

Here's a summary:

- The template for the rules of a pinball machine (i.e. that you have several modes which need to be completed before you arrive at a wizard mode) has not changed since The Addams Family in 1992. TAF represents the limit of what is understandable for the new player and all games after it (starting with The Twilight Zone) were too complex to draw in new players (they "drove off the cliff", as he puts it).

- There are two directions in which pinball can go:
    1. Cater to the enthusiast market - which will keep pinball alive for a while.
    2. Revive the product on location by getting pinball to earn again.

- To get pinball to earn again you need to attract new customers, this can be attempted in two ways :
    1. Make games simpler, more like they were in the 1980s - Pat doesn't think this is the right approach.
    2. Be willing to take a risk and do something different, put some element of technological advancement in the games, "a miniature version of Pinball 2000 or video in a game." (He also said that there are other ways to do the Pinball 2000 trick that don't violate the patent.)

- Theme is more important now than in the past, people won't give the game a chance if they don't like the theme.

- He would like to put the rotating lights which were in Wizard Blocks in a game someday.

- At the end of the interview, when Clay says that he would like to see another Lawlor game made, Pat responds: "Me too, that would be fun...I think we need to shake up what the games do first but, who knows, maybe we'll give it another shot here."

2 months later
    #283 9 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

Nice dig at Stern as Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are likely future Sterns

Man, dude can't even make a joke about his own company without someone thinking he is making a dig at Stern.

2 weeks later

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider solarvalue.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pat-lawlor-joins-jjp?tu=solarvalue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.