(Topic ID: 78314)

Pat Lawlor joins JJP

By Kevin_LHeureux

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ww.jpg
    Untitled-589.png
    0406-john-pinette-getty-4[1].jpg
    image-327.jpg
    image-87.jpg
    image-188.jpg
    image-896.jpg
    image.jpg
    Neo_still at it.jpg
    FS.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    gif.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#206 10 years ago

i think that premise is deeply flawed. it assumes there is an "on location" customer base to be had. does ANYONE here carry quarters around with them? of course not. even if we did -- we have an arcade in our pocket in the form of a smart phone. we have an arcade at home in the form of various consoles. we have our PCs / iMacs / laptops for browser games. it's not a problem with pinball. random, unsolicited location gaming is dead and over. a few dregs may be left maybe, but it's not ever coming back in that format. leagues and home use are the future of pinball if it's to survive, and i think both need to be aggressively courted and farmed and nurtured by the pinball manufacturers if they're smart.

#210 10 years ago

look - trying to separate random passers-by from their buck in exchange for brightly flashing lights is not gonna work in this world anymore, regardless of theme or ruleset. pinball's future, if it's to have one, is going to have to be more aggressively community / social -- leagues, tournaments, and peoples' basements, or establishments like barcades primarily dedicated to the game. and it's going to have to tie in to the online world and the social networking outlets too.

the model of operators turning a profit by standing up a game or two in the corners of a bowling alley or bar is as outdated a concept as a pay phone.

#214 10 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

The collectors of today grew up playing games on location. If games on location go a way what makes you think there will be new collectors to replace the old men of today.

like it or not, location pinball like we grew up with is never going to be a profitable endeavor ever again. the world has permanently changed in about four or five different ways that have killed that angle.

IF pinball is to survive another generation it's going to have to find another way to reach people and hold their interest.

#231 9 years ago

expos and festivals and tournaments are booming and that's awesome. The Pinball Arcade has also made tons of new fans and re-hooked a lot of people who'd sort of forgotten about pinball.

personally, TPA was my gateway drug. I loved pinball growing up in the 80s and 90s, and sort of vaguely always wanted a STTNG of my own, but it wasn't until I got re-hooked with TPA (and later discovered of Pinside) that I began seriously to consider owning my own pins.

Pinball definitely would have remained semi-forgotten by me if TPA didn't exist. if the only pins I ever ran into were those out in the wild, then around here it means I probably would have encountered maybe one neglected and likely broken pin every couple years or so. that's not going to maintain any kind of fanbase in any generation -- next, current, or whatever.

#236 9 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

If my kids buy back their youth 30 years from now, it will be filled with redemption games.

I'm imagining middle aged dudes in 2035 hanging out in a basement getting drunk and dumping gold tokens into machines that go "ping" and spit out three tickets at a time. woooooO!

#244 9 years ago

once you add the ticket reward to the game, it becomes about the tickets, and not the game itself. the people who want tickets will find the "task" of slapping the ball around to get their tickets a waste of time compared to the machines that will spit out a handful of tickets and only take 5 seconds to "play".

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pat-lawlor-joins-jjp?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.