5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 327 posts
  • 170 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CaptainNavidad
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ww.jpg
    Untitled-589.png
    0406-john-pinette-getty-4[1].jpg
    image-327.jpg
    image-87.jpg
    image-188.jpg
    image-896.jpg
    image.jpg
    Neo_still at it.jpg
    FS.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    gif.gif

There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I'm very excited about this news, but for those saying this is the first original theme since the 90's, haven't you noticed Spooky Pinball has started production of America's Most Haunted? It's flying right under the radar. I'm not sure if going unlicensed will help sell games as you lose out on that existing fan base. It does make it more interesting to me, though, as long as the theme is a winner. It's better than some flash in the pan summer CGI blockbuster or short lived TV series that will be all but forgotten in 5-10 years.

Well, notice that the licenses being picked these days are NOT flash in the pan movies or short lived TV shows. They're all iconic, nostalgic, evergreen properties that transcend decades (WOZ, Hobbit, Star Trek, AC/DC, Metallica, Avengers, Mustang, etc etc etc)

Lawlor has clout among pinball fans - you'll "sell to the base" with him at the helm. You won't get non pinhead NIB orders like you would with something like Metallica that has a rabid fanbase. Jack's still trying to build location play…so, theoretically - if WOZ is big on location…and then if Hobbit is big on location…operators will take a chance on a JJP original theme - players (and potential buyers) will find it on location and love it enough to buy one. That's a lot of "if"s - but I think that's the logic behind it. Unlicensed requires a more of a long-term plan for success.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Anyone post the vid yet?
    » YouTube video

Wow. I've seen videos of North Korean hostages that sounded more enthusiastic.

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from Melicon:

Pat has designed many of my favorite games to play, but unless he has some new tricks up his sleeves, the news is just average. Games recently produced by Pat were okay and I believe there was a recent time where Pat said something along the lines of pinball being dead. This leads me to think that the passion is no longer there. This game being something incredible would be like an 80's rock band being able to write and play #1 songs this year (not impossible but also not probable). I look forward to what will be produced but I can honestly say that this news is not exciting to me.

you have to remember that when pat said pinball was dying it was in bad shape. stern was cutting to bare bones games.steve Ritchie had left stern and things looked bad for pinball. add to that pat and steve having issues with where stern was going with their designs and forcing the designers to cut corners and build games on crappy themes. hopefully, jjp has the good sense to give pat and team a blank check and free reign to create a great game that will unleash the fury of god on the public and make everyone want to go play pinball again.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I liked the transition from the OMG TEXT IN SPACE to Pat sitting there blinking.

It's obvious that someone is pointing a gun at him off camera.

He had a pattern to his blinking for sure.

--. . - / -- . / --- ..- - / --- ..-. / .... . .-. . / -... . ..-. --- .-. . / - .... . / -.. .-. --- -. . / ... - .-. .. -.- . ...

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, notice that the licenses being picked these days are NOT flash in the pan movies or short lived TV shows. They're all iconic, nostalgic, evergreen properties that transcend decades (WOZ, Hobbit, Star Trek, AC/DC, Metallica, Avengers, Mustang, etc etc etc)
    Lawlor has clout among pinball fans - you'll "sell to the base" with him at the helm. You won't get non pinhead NIB orders like you would with something like Metallica that has a rabid fanbase. Jack's still trying to build location play…so, theoretically - if WOZ is big on location…and then if Hobbit is big on location…operators will take a chance on a JJP original theme - players (and potential buyers) will find it on location and love it enough to buy one. That's a lot of "if"s - but I think that's the logic behind it. Unlicensed requires a more of a long-term plan for success.

you do make some good points. most of the public cant think for themselves so if its a movie,band etc they know it makes sense to them. the flipside to that is funhouse. original theme. it still does well on location and people who are not pinball people will play it because its just so cool. hopefully, they can come up with a game like that that will catch people off guard and get them to put money into it.

#156 5 years ago

Great announcement,somewhat expected.Great times ahead for Pinball!!

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Why don't you just enjoy your Sterns for the next couple years before worrying about this title? They are actually REAL.

Why don't you pull that huge brick of "No" out of your ass?

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Thanks for letting me spill coffee over my keyboard, hahaha, .

#159 5 years ago

Pat Lawlor joins JJP...AKA freaking sweet!
    FS.jpg

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'd give you more thumbs if I could for making that real morse code.

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from Part_3:

Pat has the best selling Pin, no one can take that away from him. But Steve is the best selling designer of all time, and Stern has him.
    Pat's Adams Family is 21K + with Gold edition, plus 15K+ for Twilight Zone and 10K+ for Funhouse.
    Top 3 Pat titles, 46K+
    Steve has 19K+ with Flash, an another couple of 17K+ with High Speed and Firepower.
    Top 3 Steve titles, 53K+
    Pat drops below 5 figures after that, while Steve still has and additional 5 different 5 figure Pins after that!
    Anyway, these two are the best, and Pat still has bragging rights on Adams Family, but Steve overall has produced more sales.

This is fascinating and very important. Why not post sales numbers for all their pins so we can see? Especially for all the Stern years, where they don't tell and everything is a guesstimate.

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You are right, JJP and Lawlor do excite the pinball community enough for them to take notice. I'm just saying that with a popular license, you'll still get those guys on board plus likely a portion of the public who otherwise wouldn't care. On the flip side, I doubt a lot of average Joes picked up a WOZ because they were huge fans of the movie, so the door can swing both ways depending on the license. I'm personally excited about another original theme, but I'm a pinhead. This could be the first JJP game I have to seriously consider, but the pricing is going to be an obstacle.

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Please leave my ass alone...

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Thanks for letting me spill coffee over my keyboard, hahaha, .

Don't mention it!

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from stretch2:

Led Zep is coming down the pike with Stern later this year I heard....

Would you actually keep that one stretch

#166 5 years ago

I would totally love a FunHouse II. It could have smaller Rudy & Trudy talking heads, since Rudy's married now. They bought the Fun House and re-opened it with all sorts of new crazy stuff.

The two heads would talk to each other & make snide comments about your playing like Stadler & Waldorf.

#167 5 years ago

So where do I send in my payment plan before the price increase. Get in now before prices go over 8500, and we promise only 1 LE version

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Who said its going to be a widebody?

And we will see the more expensive cabinet decals as well?

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

So where do I send in my payment plan before the price increase. Get in now before prices go over 8500, and we promise only 1 LE version

Don't really care for the pricing trend of pins but it is what it is. Makes me wonder if it's going to be a short lived renaissance between JJP and Stern. Happy to see Lawlor back, however.

#170 5 years ago

Seriously though I really hope that Pat does something awesome. TZ is my #1 and I hope to see something to rival it. But I will not hand a dime to JJP until the game is ready to ship.

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

operators will take a chance on a JJP original theme

Most operators will never take the chance on a JJP 8500 machine. It would take most operator's a decade to pay for itself. And I know an operator that bought a WOZ and it does not earn very well for them.

#172 5 years ago

It's an awesome new day people!

If you love pinball, you gotta love this!

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

--. . - / -- . / --- ..- - / --- ..-. / .... . .-. . / -... . ..-. --- .-. . / - .... . / -.. .-. --- -. . / ... - .-. .. -.- . ...

GET/ME/OUT/OF/HERE/BEFORE/THE/DRONE/STRIKES

#174 5 years ago

.--- .- -.-. -.- .. ... .-- . .- .-. .. -. --. .- - ..- - ..- .- -. -.. - .... . ... .- ..-. . .-- --- .-. -.. .. ... -... .- .-.. .-.. ...
    ...- . .-. -.-- .- .-.. .- .-. -- .. -. --.

#176 5 years ago

What's the legal requirement for something to be "epic?"

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from joestro78:

What's the legal requirement for something to be "epic?"

I just think it has to be super long and drawn out.

#178 5 years ago

Okay, I've updated Pat Lawlor's page on wikipedia to add a paragraph about him joining Jersey Jack, just because I'm a geek. (-:

While there's a wikipedia page for The Wizard Of Oz (pinball), there isn't one for The Hobbit (pinball) or for Jersey Jack Pinball itself. Is there anyone out there that's more wikipedia-capable than myself that's up for creating brand-new pages for them?

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Anyone post the vid yet?
    » YouTube video

I hope he does well, but in that video he looked like a hostage reading something off a cue card.

Jack sure like to promote. That is not a bad thing in itself, but with people still waiting for Wizard of Oz games they paid for years ago, it's like a slap in the face sort of.

Chris

#180 5 years ago

Have you guys met Pat and talked with him in person? He seemed very similar on the video as the time I talked with him and I was not holding a gun to his head. Nice guy and pretty matter of fact IME.

#181 5 years ago

Thats Pat he never seems to flucuate his cadanse neither up or down.

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Jack sure like to promote. That is not a bad thing in itself, but with people still waiting for Wizard of Oz games they paid for years ago, it's like a slap in the face sort of.

Chris

He is sure thinking ahead,how about thinking back a year or so. I am waiting like lot's of others and hear about problems and no communication. I am am feeling a lack of confidence building.

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Have you guys met Pat and talked with him in person? He seemed very similar on the video as the time I talked with him and I was not holding a gun to his head. Nice guy and pretty matter of fact IME.

He sounds like the kind of guy that prefers to let his work speak for him, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Considering how the PL rumor was bang on, it's probably likely the Haunted House part of it is correct as well.

Hmmm, I agree with this, Vampires and Zombies are big draws now days. I'm just wondering what it would look like, FH and RBION have a lot of call outs and they both have big toys on the PF, or maybe it will have different rooms like TAF that you have to explore.

#185 5 years ago

Just catching up on the news. This is indeed epic. My collection is blessed with several Pat Lawlor pins ... and I'm thinking the combination of JJP and Pat Lawlor is going to produce a fantastic pin for us.

All the best to JJP and Pat. Knock 'EM dead!

#186 5 years ago

pat's my favorite designer so i'm excited. hope that teaming up with JJP will give him the liberty to do something really creative and different without a bunch of cost cutting.

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html

GET ME OUT OF HERE BEFORE THE DRONE STRIKES

That's a good one!

2 weeks later
    #188 5 years ago

ta da for a unknown title for a game that will not come out till 2015/2016

#189 5 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

I would totally love a Funhouse II. It could have smaller Rudy & Trudy talking heads, since Rudy's married now. They bought the Fun House and re-opened it with all sorts of new crazy stuff.
    The two heads would talk to each other & make snide comments about your playing like Stadler & Waldorf.

a dmd funhouse could be fantastic

#190 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

That the news folks!
    Original design and theme for the game. One can assume that this was the design that Pat brought to jack at expo a couple of years back that was near complete.
    The big question is.... How many heads will it have?

Still not going to be worth 8k for a damn game.

#191 5 years ago

I wonder what they'll come up with...maybe they'll team up with Pro Pinball, too

#192 5 years ago

If we are talking about a completely original theme, there's a lot of work to be done to produce material for the LCD. There are no existing animations or film footage to rely on. JJP will have to produce it all from scratch. That gives them creative freedom, but it seems like a pile of work.

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

If we are talking about a completely original theme, there's a lot of work to be done to produce material for the LCD. There are no existing animations or film footage to rely on. JJP will have to produce it all from scratch. That gives them creative freedom, but it seems like a pile of work.

Definitely the curse and blessing of both original themes and high rez screens.

#194 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Still not going to be worth 8k for a damn game.

Neo_still at it.jpg

#195 5 years ago

pat is getting all sorts of love fore the games he did over 20 years ago his last 5 games RollerCoaster Tycoon, rbion nascar , FG and CSI not the best games out there not even the best Stern games

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

pat is getting all sorts of love fore the games he did over 20 years ago his last 5 games Rollercoaster Tycoon, rbion Nascar , FG and CSI not the best games out there not even the best Stern games

I think some of the optimism comes from the fact that he may have more time and resources at his disposal now. We'll see.

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

pat is getting all sorts of love fore the games he did over 20 years ago his last 5 games Rollercoaster Tycoon, rbion Nascar , FG and CSI not the best games out there not even the best Stern games

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a Lawlor fan and the Stern are games we definitely my least favorite of his titles. That being said I am excited to see what kind of innovative design Pat can come up with now that he will not be so limited by time and budget as he was at Stern. Hopefully the JJP resources will give Pat some of the Williams magic back into his new design.

#198 5 years ago

I imagine established designers like Pat Lawlor and Steve Ritchie have to be thinking about their legacy and so will want their last few designs to be statement pieces. It's not the same as being in assembly-line mode. Not that I wish anything but an extended career for both of them, but none of us is getting any younger. Really, it is amazing that they are both back designing pins. Who would have seen that coming a few years ago? Having said that, I hope they see it as part of their job to pass their skills on to a new generation.

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a Lawlor fan and the Stern are games we definitely my least favorite of his titles. That being said I am excited to see what kind of innovative design Pat can come up with now that he will not be so limited by time and budget as he was at Stern. Hopefully the JJP resources will give Pat some of the Williams magic back into his new design.

as to cost jjp is cuting cost they no longer have invisaglass as standard as for time jjp need to produce there games faster then they have

#200 5 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

I imagine established designers like Pat Lawlor and Steve Ritchie have to be thinking about their legacy and so will want their last few designs to be statement pieces.

That, or they're just looking to put food on the table.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.99
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.95
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 209.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 25.50
    There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside