Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dudah
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Whirlwind references back to Earthshaker by the "Visit the fault" road sign.

Likewise Funhouse back to Whirlwind with "Feel the power" road sign and the graphics at the Wind tunnel.

This indicates a pattern. However, I don't any other such references in PL games. Other than that Road Show apparently has a quote back to Rudy. One talking head to another.

To you know any other references between PL games.

#2 12 years ago

Some audio clips from TZ reference a lot of Lawlor's previous games. Rudy from Funhouse tells you to "Stop playing with the clock" during clock chaos (I think it's clock chaos), then there are other audio clips from other games like Banzai Run, Whirlwind, and Earthshaker that play on the radio during the "quick lock" mode.

Also, when if you buy in the extra ball at the end of the game, it'll play and audio clip that says "GREED!", which I think comes from the Addams Family.

One thing I love about the old Bally Williams games from the 90's is that there were a lot of long running references to previous machines, and jokes, like the cows that appear in pretty much every game. Also the hidden "DOHO" messages were fun to look for.

#3 12 years ago

I love Lawlor's "Red Button". He was the coolest, ya dig? ^^

#4 12 years ago

Stern/Lawlor's Ripley's has a lot of references to Williams games like Funhouse, TAF & TZ!

#5 12 years ago

Sweet, did not know that about Ripley's. I'd like to put more time on that game, it seems very mysterious and Twilight Zone-ish in theme and has a pretty cool layout.

#6 12 years ago

Yep loads of references in Ripleys and watch out for Rudy in the dot display at the start of MB. It is an interesting one as the theme gave lots of room to make it an adventure game, a bit like Congo or Indiana Jones. Some of the shots are more like TZ but with better balanced play (by that I mean you use all the shots better while the left hand side of the TZ playfield is often not well used).
    I can't think of any in CSI but Lawlor wasn't around when that was completed.

#7 12 years ago

"Quick Lock" in TZ reveals a ton of sound bytes and music from Banzai Run, Earthshaker, Whirlwind, and The Addams Family. Again...I have to thank the stars that the game came out when it did. In a sort of strange reveal....maybe it was for the best TZ came out before DCS. Its possible you wouldn't have gotten all those sweet and farily accurate MIDI/synth music recreations done on newer sound hardware otherwise (DCS audio is naturally more clean sounding).

The little robot from TZ who zaps your extra ball, incidentally shows up in other games (oddly enough, not Pat Lawlor games). The little robot guy shows up in Jackbot DMD animations.

#8 12 years ago

I'd overlooked all the TZ ones. The "greed" is so obvious.

No, it was a scandal that TZ wasn't finished using the DCS soundboard it was designed for. Very stupid. And the soundbites from previous games could easily have been sampled and used as digital sound. The sound effects in TZ are ace, but the tunes are suffering imo. Too bad on a game that turned out a true magical cult classic.

No question that Chris Granner is a true genius, that got the absolut best possible out of the situation.

Nobody recalls any references in No Good Gofers?

#9 12 years ago

monopoly had a few references i believe...

#10 12 years ago

I just picked up a HUO RBION 2-nite , and another Pat Lawlor pin also,,, NGG

.. Pict's will be up-loaded 2-morrow.. Bed -Tyme ,, just got in ...

#11 12 years ago

Nice pickup BR, answer yo' emails brother!

We need to start working out some deals in the near future.

7 years later
    #12 5 years ago

I know Safe Cracker has some too. The one I recall at the moment is "I'm not happy with you now".

#13 5 years ago

DI has "I'm not happy" as well, during multiball.

Also, in the "EARTH SHAKER" mode, making the first shot will occasionally result in MANDI saying "oooh, bitchin'". And, there's a "WHIRL WIND" mode as well.

#14 5 years ago

Also in DI, during ball saves occasionally a female voice will say "you can have it back."

#15 5 years ago

In Road Show there's the robot from TZ, WW references with the bunker/storm

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pat-lawlor-games-references and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.