Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4F7499A-A84F-4951-9E42-7F8DEF7964D1 (resized).jpeg
    thumbnail-4 (resized).jpeg
    20190412_193639 (resized).jpg
    d766ee249d0b5ade92d48c96c398fa92b7ab28e9 (resized).jpg

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 months ago

At the 15.20 mark ( https://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/24709491... ) is a bit about Pat retired.

So no idea if we'll ever see another new Pat Lawlor game. This happened when Williams closed. But then came Stern's Monopoly pin. Happy days again.

Then a change in who Pat was designing for and we get Dialed In.

Now once again a future without a new Pat Lawlor title.

Pat has really made his mark in the pinball world. And designed many of the greatest games ever. A huge thank you Pat for that. You've done a lot for pinball and pinball fans all over the world.

I wish you all the best going forward. And hope in retirement you can enjoy the things that make you as happy as you've made all of us.

And should a new Pat Lawlor pin ever pop up again. We'll be grateful.

A lifetime in pinball. Amazing. Thank you Pat !
    LTG : )

#2 5 months ago

Happy retirement, Pat!!

I’m sure he’ll be like Harry Williams, sending brilliant designs from retirement, to JJP/Stern/American even if they don’t want them!

#3 5 months ago

The very first pinball machine I purchased for my home was Twilight Zone. That was over 20 years ago. I’ve loved pinball since I was a kid but Twilight Zone was the first game where I thought man it would be the most amazing thing ever to have this in my home. I worked hard, saved up, bought it and was in heaven. That’s where it all started. Thank you Pat. Enjoy retirement you’ve earned it 1000 times over. But of course if you get bored come back and make us another game!

#4 5 months ago

An extraordinary Designer for sure.

#5 5 months ago

So long and thanks for all the games. And welcome back, should you ever so desire.

#6 5 months ago

Legend. And TS4 rocks. Don't care what anyone says...

#7 5 months ago

I have great memories of TZ. I started pinball collecting by getting a non-working Gorgar and EK for free. Once I got Gorgar working, I was hooked. Played lots of location pinball and feel in love with TZ. Had to have one, but felt, at the time, it was priced out of my reach.

I built a nice collection and was commenting to a friend/operator that I loved TZ, but couldn't come up with the funds. "Sell Gorgar, EK, and those crap Jamma arcade games." he replied. Hadn't realized how close I was to owning a TZ. The games went for sale and sold. Bought the TZ from my buddy.

He delivered it Christmas Eve 1998. This was BC -- before children. I had no commitments other than going to in-laws for Christmas dinner. Was one of the best Christmas mornings ever! I played for hours!

Still own my TZ and still one of my favourite games. Even got it autographed by Pat, John Youssi and Larry DeMar when I went to Chicago Expo in 2004.

One of my latest additions is a Dialed In SE and it shots so nice. Really enjoying my latest Lawler game!

Many thanks, Pat! Hope you have a fantastic retirement.

#8 5 months ago

Even his bad games have good layouts.

Enjoy your retirement Pat, and the rubber chicken circuit at pinball shows where you can tell your stories till the end of time!

#9 5 months ago

My favorite designer all time and a legend. Pat, thanks for all of your contributions to the business and hobby we love. Hope to see you come out of retirement and do one last one (hopefully with Stern)

#10 5 months ago

If not for Funhouse I never would have started collecting pins. It was the game that bit me and gave me the bug. And now I have recently got a Wonka and it’s simply magical. Thank you, Pat.

#11 5 months ago

A true master of his craft. His games always breathe this sense of physical adventure for me. Thank you very much for all your work, mr. Lawlor, and enjoy your retirement!

#12 5 months ago

Pat’s games for Williams are some of the best of all time. Pinball may have never resurged during the 90s if it weren’t for him.

#13 5 months ago

I'm a huge fan and wish Pat a great retirement. I own his JJP trifecta, my neighbor owns his own Pats trifecta, TZ, Restored FH and TAF.

thumbnail-4 (resized).jpeg
    #14 5 months ago

Thank you Pat for all of your amazing work, and dedication to creating so many great pinball games! May your retirement bring you happiness always!

#15 5 months ago

Really enjoying RollerCoaster Tycoon.

d766ee249d0b5ade92d48c96c398fa92b7ab28e9 (resized).jpg
    #16 5 months ago

Amazing amount of PL shit talking that's gone on lately around her; a true legend.
    TZ is still the greatest of all times decades later!

#17 5 months ago

So long, and thanks for all the games!

The first game I ever played was Whirlwind. I was at a campground on a wicked hot day. Whirlwind was sitting in a makeshift arcade made from a shipping container that was baking in the sun.

Between the fan on the backbox offering 12 year old me sweet sweet relief from the heat, tasty music, and just a flat out fun game, it pretty much sealed my fate as a pinball addict from that day moving forward.

Thanks for the memories, Pat!

#18 5 months ago

Legend for sure. Wonka was his best work in my opinion.

20190412_193639 (resized).jpg

#19 5 months ago

A true legend.
    We currently have a dialed in that inspires both joy and vitriol. Wouldn't have it any other way with a pin.
    Enjoy retirement

#20 5 months ago

I can't imagine retiring from anything you love doing, unless it's because of health. Which is why actors and musicians 'work' until they drop dead.

Pat's work has given me countless hours of enjoyment and has inspired me to get more creative in my own designs. I've remade TZ and TAF digitally for a new generation, but always retained the charm of his original masterpieces.

Thank you for the fun, Pat.

#21 5 months ago

The real goat

#22 5 months ago

Happy Retirement!

I have TZ and Wonka and love both!

#23 5 months ago

Still have my TZ, which I treasure. And I haven't seen a Lawlor game I haven't liked.

Will always, always appreciate his work, and his impact on the hobby.

#24 5 months ago

Pat's were the first pinball games I could distinctly recognize back in the day; I learned to check for his name in the outlane area to confirm the game was "a good one" before dropping the quarter in.

First game I ever bought for myself was an Earthshaker.

Still my overall favorite designer, although Elwin is catching up. Enjoy retirement, Pat!

#25 5 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

At the 15.20 mark ( https://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/24709491... ) is a bit about Pat retired.

Hey LTG when I checked out the podcast, the little bit about Pat was at 16:20, so perhaps a typo in your post? Or something different about our players.

Congrats on 2nd retirement Pat! I don't know if you are crazy enough to have a Pinside account, but perhaps you'll see this thread.

I'm a big fan, currently holding

1. FunHouse
    2. RBION
    3. Road Show
    4. Twilight Zone
    5. Dialed In!
    6. The Addams Family

Thanks for all the pins, Pat!

#26 5 months ago

Pat take a long weekend and get back to designing... retirement is overrated!

Enjoy you retirement, you and your achievements will never be forgotten.

#27 5 months ago

when I first started collecting, I only wanted 4 games. TZ, TAF, ES and FH. Didn't know shit about designers. Didn't realize they were all made by the same guy. Until I was in the hobby a couple of years. All the games had a similar feel.

#28 5 months ago
    Quoted from altan:

the little bit about Pat was at 16:20, so perhaps a typo in your post? Or something different about our players.

Different in our players.

#29 5 months ago

Remember Addams family on location 5 people deep waiting for the hand to come out. The company I worked for bought 40 plus of this game. Game did great and still does to this day.
    I bought an Addams Gold in 1995 and put on location. Earned 323 the first week in a little pizza joint.

#30 5 months ago

Certain names resonate with Pinball… Pat is & always will certainly be one of them. Congrats Pat!! Enjoy retirement !! You’ve left an incredible Pinball legacy that will live on and be loved by many generations.

#31 5 months ago

Wow what a legacy. I’ll mention some other titles that aren’t his “classics” but they’re worth noting because they’re amazing in my mind.

His first title, Banzai Run, is a gem to play. That upper playfield is super fun, the music is solid, and the programming was advanced for its time (“He’s going after Yellow Belly…and Blue Beard.”)

Ripley’s…if you look past the theme (which I am ambivalent about), the shots are just kinetic joy.

Road Show is unfortunately a little random with which city/mode starts, but wow is it a fun game. Like a country Funhouse with a wicked skillshot and demolition flipper.

But not gonna lie, as much as I love Safecracker…I feel a little pervy when I play it…

#32 5 months ago

Bittersweet it ended like this but not everyone can walk away with on Super bowl championship what a career wowza! Happy retirement!

#33 5 months ago

First pin I fell in love with was TAF when they were new on location. Been a good run for Pat, what a blessing to have such a long career doing what you love. It’s sad when we loose a legend in pinball via death or retirement.

Enjoy your well deserved retirement Pat!

#34 5 months ago

Wonka is one of my favorite pins ever, owned it for a year now and still hasn't gotten old.

#35 5 months ago

Shit Lloyd you did everythign possible except putting RIP in the thread title to make me think Pat was dead. Glad to hear it just retirement.

#36 5 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Shit Lloyd you did everythign possible except putting RIP in the thread title to make me think Pat was dead.

Sorry. didn't mean to make anyone think that.

There has been rumors lately about Pat retiring, who is going to run jjp if he was, and if he was still with jjp. This is the first of anything official from jjp about it. So I thought people would want to know what was happening concerning Pat.

I didn't think of any other way to post it.

#37 5 months ago

Happy retirement, Pat!

The first machine that my dad ever bought was FunHouse. I was seven years old at the time. Now I am 37 and have two kids of my own that enjoy playing games with me. Between my dad and me, we currently have the following Lawlor games:
    - Earthshaker
    - Whirlwind
    - FunHouse
    - Addams Family
    - Twilight Zone

We have also had a number of other Lawlor games rotate through our houses over the years.

Pat, thank you for bringing many years of excitement, joy, and family bonding into my life. In my mind, your games are untouchable!

Signed,
    A die-hard System 11 and WPC fan!

#38 5 months ago

I still have Whirlwind, Funhouse, TZ, Safecracker and Gofers. Have owned and sold Earthshaker, TAF, Roadshow and Family Guy.

#39 5 months ago
    Quoted from altan:

I don't know if you are crazy enough to have a Pinside account, but perhaps you'll see this thread.

Im not sure if he has a Pinside account but he was on RGP and I've bought NOS parts from him on ebay.

#40 5 months ago

I can remember a line of people waiting to play TAF when it arrived at the arcade.

I think the games he made with Larry DeMar, Chris Granner, John Youssi and John Krutsch are all masterpieces.

TZ was the first pin I bought for myself I paid $1800 and thought it was a lot of money for a 10 year old game.

I also still have my Family Guy that I bought NIB I think it's one of the most unique Lawlor layouts and I still enjoy playing it.

#41 5 months ago

When I was a young adult I was mesmerized by Rudy in Funhouse and it sparked my interest in collecting pinball machines along with arcade games. Now as grown man you recently took me all the way back to my childhood and left me with a masterpiece in Wonka that I’ll probably keep till I’m a goner. Congrats on your retirement Pat! Well deserved & many thanks for the memories! Come back anytime.

#42 5 months ago

Pat got me through months of covid lockdown in a way by building the amazing Safe Cracker and inspiring me to do my first full restore over the long dark months of lockdown. Have owned TZ, Wonka, and DI but this is my favourite for its quirkiness and originality.

C4F7499A-A84F-4951-9E42-7F8DEF7964D1 (resized).jpeg
    #43 5 months ago

Pat's games are the best for a very simple reason: short learning curves, but tough/satisfying shots to make. You know you've got a good designer when so many people own multiples of his designs, regardless of how similar they are. We all thank you for your contributions to pinball, for helping keep the arcades alive through the 90's, and for making so many of our favorite games.

Enjoy retirement, Pat. You've earned it. Just try not to think about new pinball ideas or designs too much.

(I seem to remember he at one time had a Pinside account, but I can't remember what his username was at the moment.)

#44 5 months ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Wonka is one of my favorite pins ever, owned it for a year now and still hasn't gotten old.

Agreed!

I think Wonka’s rating will only improve with time.

It truly is a Gem of a game and in my opinion….Pat’s best!

#45 5 months ago

Funhouse was my first pin and what really seeded my love for pinball. Sadly Funhouse is long gone, Whirlwind however still remains. Kudos Pat on a remarkable career.

#46 5 months ago

#47 5 months ago

A lot of his games are my favorites and what got me into pinball! Really love his work right up through Toy Story 4. Happy Retirement, Pat, and Thank You!!!!

#48 5 months ago

Pat is a Legend. He is my all time favorite designer.

First game I ever purchased for our family is/was Funhouse, 30 years ago. Still have it today.

Every time we hit a Pat Lawlor's game start button... you'll be remembered. Enjoy your retirement!

#49 5 months ago

My favorite designer. I've owned about all of his machines at some point and several times have had 5+ of his games in my collection. Will miss his designs, but time to enjoy a retirement well deserved and look back on an incredibly successful career.

3 weeks later
    #50 4 months ago

The best designer out there. Currently have Wonka and TS4, but want to add a TZ, Road Show, and I'm sure there's others. Enjoy retirement!

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pat-lawlor-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.