Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Hazzy121
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4085 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20230602_214621_Chrome (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    wow-amazed.gif
    IMG_3462 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3454 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3453 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3451 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3452 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3450 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3441 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3449 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3448 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3446 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3447 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3445 (resized).jpeg
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

So today’s the day Past Times opened in Girard Ohio. Probably one of the biggest collections of Pinball machine in the country. if you’re looking for a place to adventure off to and play some serious pinball, this would be it. Over 350 pinball machines and 150 arcades. Some of the most unique Pinball’s you’ll ever see from all over the world. Just walking through the place is amazing, on the last row there’s over 30 gun games alone. It’s pay one price and everything is on FreePlay.

IMG_3441 (resized).jpegIMG_3441 (resized).jpegIMG_3443 (resized).jpegIMG_3443 (resized).jpegIMG_3445 (resized).jpegIMG_3445 (resized).jpegIMG_3446 (resized).jpegIMG_3446 (resized).jpegIMG_3447 (resized).jpegIMG_3447 (resized).jpegIMG_3448 (resized).jpegIMG_3448 (resized).jpegIMG_3449 (resized).jpegIMG_3449 (resized).jpegIMG_3450 (resized).jpegIMG_3450 (resized).jpegIMG_3451 (resized).jpegIMG_3451 (resized).jpegIMG_3452 (resized).jpegIMG_3452 (resized).jpegIMG_3453 (resized).jpegIMG_3453 (resized).jpegIMG_3454 (resized).jpegIMG_3454 (resized).jpeg

#2 1 year ago

Congratulations, it all looks fantastic!

I will have to trek down there sometime and spend a day.

#3 1 year ago

Rob Berk’s new adventure in pinball

IMG_3462 (resized).jpegIMG_3462 (resized).jpeg

#4 1 year ago

Amazing. Will have to get out there sometime!

#5 1 year ago

Nice set up ...

Odd to see a playable Magic Girl in an arcade

#7 1 year ago

Very nice id love to drive out someday and see it.

#8 1 year ago

That place looks insane. I'm originally from Cleveland and will be visiting mid-June and will definitely be checking that out

#9 1 year ago

Simply amazing ! Best wishes !
    LTG : )

#10 1 year ago

How does this place exist? It boggles the mind!

#11 1 year ago

Mike, Rob and the team have done an amazing job! Can’t wait to see what it looks like now that it’s open! Hope to visit sometime this month.

Here’s an older thread about it as well: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/past-times-arcade-girard-ohio#post-7397423

#12 1 year ago

Absolutely incredible what they've managed to put together. I made it out earlier today and I was completely geeking out over so many cool and rare games in one place, it was overwhelming. I can't imagine the amount of work that went into getting all those games setup and working (for the most part). Can't wait to go back, and I hope they have great success!

#13 1 year ago

Wow is all I can say-this place looks amazing! Looks like this place could take the prize for one of the largest collections in a public location. When I visualize the possibilities of what PHOF could look like-it would look just like Past Times layout with seating, pinballs lined up nicely and all the arcades positioned together. Lots of EMs and it looks like they all play or why would they put them on the floor. Maintenance seems to plague these larger arcades and I look forward to seeing how they will maintain and repair all of them-may be some lessons to be learned.

Overall I am really impressed and I may need to make a trip to Ohio to check it out.

wow-amazed.gifwow-amazed.gif
    #14 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

How does this place exist? It boggles the mind!

I think 4 things

1. A lot of money
    2. Cheap rent
    3. Regional draw
    4. A lot of love for pinball and arcades

#15 1 year ago

This truly has to be a labor of love. I can not even imagine the logistics involved in getting all of those games up and running and maintaining them. The place looks amazing and I hope to make it up there, at least once, this summer.

Congratulations!! I hope that your museum/arcade thrives and stays in business for a very, very long time.

#16 1 year ago

Here is a nice video that shows most of the games at the grand opening. Super rare stuff.

#17 1 year ago

Not the easiest location to get to. That being said, I am planning a trip!

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from kool1:

I think 4 things

I can only come up with 2 things:

A direct 24/7 satellite feed from Past Times to Marco.
    An uninterrupted copper line from Past Times to PBR with rotary phones on each end.

#19 1 year ago

The QR code reporting system is absolutely a fantastic way to address issues with games.

#20 1 year ago

This place is 45 minutes from me. I went to it ahead of Pinbrew this year. It is 100% worth a trip to Ohio. Can't wait to go back soon once I have a free weekend.

#22 1 year ago

OK, so the video explains that this is the owners collection who has been collecting since the 70s.

Looks like an awesome collection of classics - Bally/Williams, Data East, Gottlieb, classic Sterns, classic Bally, Zaccaria, EMs, and other European titles. Quite a collection of arcade games as well.

For modern pins I saw Toy Story 4 and Global Tank Force. No Spike2 Sterns or other LCD era pins at all which may surprise some visitors looking for newer titles.

I worry that with heavy play the older pins will require more maintenance than a collection of new pins and the necessary repairs will be formidable.

You have to wonder about the power bill with all these games in attract mode. It would really save some cash if the games turned off when they sat idle for example.

#23 1 year ago

From the video they also have a Stern JP (at 24.04 in the video) and APs Hotwheels. We didn't see every game row of games so I assume there are a few more recent titles, tough mostly titles from the past. I was surprised to see a working Magic Girl. The european titles are probably seen no where else (some of them at Clays place). I always enjoyed playing them at EXPO from Rob would bring them.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

From the video they also have a Stern JP (at 24.04 in the video) and APs Hotwheels.

I missed those. They didn't really aim the camera at the pins, and seemed more interested in vids, so someone should make a proper walkthrough showing the backglasses, etc.

Full list of 351 pins here: (no mention of JP2)

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/17578-past-times-arcade-girard-oh

EDIT - OK, now I see JP2 premium and Bond LE in the photos above.

#25 1 year ago

Looks inviting

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from kool1:

I think 4 things
    1. A lot of money
    2. Cheap rent
    3. Regional draw
    4. A lot of love for pinball and arcades

First off, the place looks incredible and I wish them the very best in terms of success. I'd die if I had something like this near me, and would probably never see my wife again because I'd spend all my free time there lol.

However, I also wonder about the viability of a business like this. Unfortunately it seems like the only way to run a successful business with pins is to put them inside of a bar (barcade) or some other business where the main draw isn't the pins or arcade machines (bowling ally, video game store, restaurant). I know there are rare exceptions, but that's just been my observation. There's an interesting video on YouTube where some operator explains that a lot of people, especially people under 25 have no idea what a pinball machine is, nor do they know how to play it.

#27 1 year ago

Bravo! Well done. Thanks for posting. I wish you much success with this endeavor. Seconds off I80 in beautiful Girard Ohio!

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

I also wonder about the viability of a business like this. Unfortunately it seems like the only way to run a successful business with pins is to put them inside of a bar (barcade) or some other business where the main draw isn't the pins or arcade machines (bowling ally, video game store, restaurant).

I'm pretty sure the situation here is different. The owner of this business has already made his money. He would be paying rent on this location to store his personal collection regardless, so as a way to offset some cost and also to share his pins with the world, he has turned it into a new business venture.

#29 1 year ago

This looks incredible and I can't wait to go. Just the sheer number of non-US titles dwarfs pretty much any location in the country, let alone one that is open to the public on a daily basis. This place might have the only 1970s Japanese Sega pin on location anywhere in the US and plenty of other specific foreign titles that are US exclusives.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

I'm pretty sure the situation here is different. The owner of this business has already made his money. He would be paying rent on this location to store his personal collection regardless, so as a way to offset some cost and also to share his pins with the world, he has turned it into a new business venture.

Yes, different situation.... the owner is truly sharing his collection. He bought the location, likely just happy to pay for expenses. Here’s more info.

https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbus/news/2023/01/04/pinball-wizard-

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from rocketman:

Yes, different situation.... the owner is truly sharing his collection. He bought the location, likely just happy to pay for expenses. Here’s more info.
    https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbus/news/2023/01/04/pinball-wizard-

I heard this from someone else also.

A lot of these things are purely for the love of the hobby. More than happy to go out of my way to support that!

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from rocketman:

He bought the location

Did he pay for it with 10 million dollars of donations from his customers who were led to believe that their money was actually going to charity to help the disadvantaged?

#33 1 year ago

This place looks amazing and is less than a 5hr drive from me. I think I’ve drove further to get one machine before, so this would be a fun road trip.

#34 1 year ago

Magnificent job by Mike Hale in getting the games functioning. I'm pleased that several of my former EM pinball and EM arcade games are included.

Among them, I'm especially gratified to spot 1972 Sega Monster Gun. It's the best pellet shooter arcade ever made. You can count the known examples in existence on one hand.

For those who go to Rob Berk's great arcade, be sure to play Sega Monster Gun. I can't wait to visit. Congratulations to all involved in bringing this fantastic place to life.

Screenshot_20230602_214621_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230602_214621_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #35 1 year ago

Cant wait to go. Hoping to see my old lucky seven there

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

First off, the place looks incredible and I wish them the very best in terms of success. I'd die if I had something like this near me, and would probably never see my wife again because I'd spend all my free time there lol.
    However, I also wonder about the viability of a business like this. Unfortunately it seems like the only way to run a successful business with pins is to put them inside of a bar (barcade) or some other business where the main draw isn't the pins or arcade machines (bowling ally, video game store, restaurant). I know there are rare exceptions, but that's just been my observation. There's an interesting video on YouTube where some operator explains that a lot of people, especially people under 25 have no idea what a pinball machine is, nor do they know how to play it.

That's a common perception but I don't think it's true. That's arcade heroes and he's in Utah which explains a lot. The problem is operators are getting fat off redemption and once that happens nothing else is "profitable" in their eyes anymore. So we have a huge shift towards that crap in the industry. I do quite well with my pins but hey I don't have an arcade or youtube channel so what do I know.

#37 1 year ago

The place looks amazing ! Very well thought out design. I will be sure to detour there if I am anywhere close. The owner really seemed to nail it here.

If I’m being honest though I worry some about the longevity. This looks a lot like a Banning replay. It has a lot going for it: no rent, no debt (I hope), proximity to large metropolitan location. But it will still have some decent operational costs for an endeavor that big, and just like Banning you wonder what happens when he gets tired of the money pit this is likely to be for a while. Like others I also worry about the technical support bill to keep everything running. PHOF springs to mind here, and unless you are willing to dole out lots of money, there better be a good supply of out of order signs.

Really, good luck. I would love to see if this business model can work. It will inspire others to try their hand at these massive endeavors. I am regardless of outcome incredibly envious of what they have done here.

#38 1 year ago

I just noticed there are photos of all the pins here if you scroll down:

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/17578-past-times-arcade-girard-oh

Quite an array of classics!

#39 1 year ago

For those looking to make a road trip of it, we stayed at this hotel for Pinbrew and our room was very nice (king bed with a couch), and only $80 a night!

https://www.choicehotels.com/ohio/youngstown/comfort-suites-hotels/oh574

#40 1 year ago

Are any of these games for sale?

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

No, most of them aren’t. This is Rob Berk’s personal collection. They may be selling spares. They cleared out 2 other warehouses he was storing his machines in and consolidated to this place. He bough the building. He’s always buying though, I’d you’ve got something he wants!

For those wondering about maintenance, he has a full staff of 12 PAID technicians (as far as I’m aware) and some volunteers. It’s going to give PHOF a run for it’s money.

This isn’t like Banning. Banning was just a bad idea all around with a terrible location and very anti-business town.

When I visited in October, it was funny how many games had Banning tags that I distinctly remember getting into a bidding wars over! The difference is that over the past year, Mike Hale and the team have gotten nearly all those Banning projects fully functional!

I truly believe in the guys behind this place, even though I don’t know Rob. If you’ve got a dedicated tech team, you’ll be ahead of most!

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

These pins were for sale

IMG_4085 (resized).jpegIMG_4085 (resized).jpeg
    #43 1 year ago

Visited today pretty nice place cool to see a lot of the rare foreign machines and Magic Girl.

#44 1 year ago

The scope of Rob’s collection and the quality of it is just amazing. I haven’t gone yet but there is no doubt in my mind this is by far the best pinball location in the world. Rob Berk doesn’t half ass anything. Congrats. I may just sleep under a game overnight…. : )

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

The scope of Rob’s collection and the quality of it is just amazing. I haven’t gone yet but there is no doubt in my mind this is by far the best pinball location in the world. Rob Berk doesn’t half ass anything. Congrats. I may just sleep under a game overnight…. : )

I too am in awe of Rob’s latest venture (I saw his basement collection and was blown away). I plan to make a trip near the end of this month and if we get our schedules in sync, you will get first choice on ice cream this time.

#46 1 year ago

Finally something worth visiting in Ohio.

1 week later
    #49 1 year ago

Looks like a fantastic place to visit.

2 weeks later
    #50 1 year ago

Going next week. Can't wait to see how it compares with other arcades. Roanoke is the gold standard for me.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.