Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gdonovan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 4 years ago

Hi everybody,
Does anybody know how to download past code for Spike2 games JP, Elvira and Stranger things? I tried with Wayback Machine, but since Stern's new site uses f002 to download files, it didn't work
Is there any other way to download older code for JP, Elvira or Stranger Things?
Thanks in advance,
Peter

#2 4 years ago

Save them as they come out is the only thing I can think of.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for telling me. I unfortunately didn't manage to save them

#4 4 years ago

Why would you like to play older code versions? There's a reason the older versions aren't available anymore

#5 4 years ago

You're right

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Bingovit:

Why would you like to play older code versions?

Actually, I don't need codes to play older versions of them.
I just wanted to have them in my code collection, that's it

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Bingovit:

Why would you like to play older code versions? There's a reason the older versions aren't available anymore

Archiving this type of information is very important for future generations of hackers - at some point in the future people will want to experiment with different code in this era machine, and having different versions to compare could help figure out things.

Yes, they end up being historical artifacts, but there's a reason as well that IPDB has all the released versions of software there - otherwise they could just have the latest posted and erase the rest.

Just as a 2000s era example - apparently there is a bug in the latest Monopoly release that's not in the earlier versions concerning dice rolling - so presumably someone could look at the equivalent code in the older version to see what changed vs. the latest version and possibly fix it.

Of course, someone at Stern could probably fix it in <20 minutes with the original source code, but that's not in their commercial interest right now.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Archiving this type of information is very important for future generations of hackers - at some point in the future people will want to experiment with different code in this era machine, and having different versions to compare could help figure out things.
Yes, they end up being historical artifacts, but there's a reason as well that IPDB has all the released versions of software there - otherwise they could just have the latest posted and erase the rest.
Just as a 2000s era example - apparently there is a bug in the latest Monopoly release that's not in the earlier versions concerning dice rolling - so presumably someone could look at the equivalent code in the older version to see what changed vs. the latest version and possibly fix it.
Of course, someone at Stern could probably fix it in <20 minutes with the original source code, but that's not in their commercial interest right now.

I use a Western Digital Live media player that is older than dirt, WD doesn't even sell them any more. Why bring this up? The last firmware release from WD will over time randomly corrupt or erase your files! You have to use a USB flash drive to revert back to an older firmware version.

So the "latest and greatest" isn't always so, always backup!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/past-downloads?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.