IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1872.JPG
IMG_1870.JPG
IMG_1867.JPG
IMG_1869.JPG
IMG_1868.JPG
IMG_1861.JPG
IMG_1860.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DCRand.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 3 years ago

I was working on a 1952 Twenty Grand, called Steve Young looking for a new skirt, and he told me about the brad nail mod. I used a very small drill bit, just under sized of the nail. Worked great.

Don't think he has the graphite rings any longer. But someone, maybe Steve, suggested just tightening the copper circle that holds the rings. For home use, that should last for years. Then just get new copper wire when it needs replacing.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Thanks for the update, yeah, he no longer carries them because he'd basically have to craft them out of bulk carbon since his sole supplier has permanently stopped manufacturing this component. He did say you can rotate the carbon ring on its holder if you need to. Mine are thankfully in decent shape so I haven't attempted this.

If you do rotate them, be very careful. They are very brittle. I had two spares, and broke one installing it. Felt like I had broken the last dinosaur egg on earth. LOL

I also saw on another post in Pinside, someone who had made one out of a brass knurled hand turn nut. He drilled out the center threads and enlarged the hole.

1 week later
#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Thanks for the tip! The link to this post is below. One question though, isn't brass non-conductive; how does this even work?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-old-graphite-ring-bumper-system#post-5394279

Brass is very conductive. Think it was the original metal for many old light bulbs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DCRand.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/passive-bumper-skirt-modify?tu=DCRand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.