6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

error code (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

I am getting error codes that I cannot find in the manual.
    It is a Gottlieb Buck Rogers with a Pascal PI-1/X4 board.

The game was playing fine then stopped the game on ball 3.
    The error codes are: (see photo)
    Is this two errors? I can't find these codes in the Pascal manual.
    During the startup tests on the Pascal board it goes all the way through the switches but stops here with a faint humming under the playfield like a mechanism is stuck and can't reset.
    Thanks.
    Alan

error code (resized).jpg
    #2 6 months ago

Appears Lamp driver Q17 is for the Vari-target reset. Playfield mounted transistor.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Remote_Mounted_Transistor

#3 6 months ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Appears Lamp driver Q17 is for the Vari-target reset. Playfield mounted transistor.
    http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Remote_Mounted_Transistor

Thank you. The PinWiki link really helped explain some things.
    It is that the target arm is not returning to home occasionally.
    My problem now is why is it randomly not returning and giving the error code?

I checked the soldered connections on the transistor and solenoid and movement of the arm is free and the contacts are being made.
    The solenoid plate seems to manually release easily at each cam step so I don't think it is hanging on the cam detents.

So I'm chasing a random problem.

Alan

#4 6 months ago

hello Alan

as I hardly ever visit pinside, not due to lack of interest but due to lack of time, if you had contacted me directly thru the contact page of my web site (www.flippp.com), you would have received a quicker answer

the error codes are duly described in the manual at page 22, but not clearly, sorry for that:

[L] TEST + coil name + STUCK SWITCH
    After firing a coil, one of its associated switches remains stuck permanently (for example a drop target that never stands back up).
    -> Error only displayed if DIPSW+ 48 is enabled

so in your case, it's related to the coil driven by lamp output #17 = varitarget reset coil: one of the varitarget switches remains closed.

it is a common problem with varitargets in general, they don't always go back to resting position properly and/or the several contact blades are misadjusted or get dirty.

#5 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pascal_J:

(edited): ...so in your case, it's related to the coil driven by lamp output #17 = varitarget reset coil: one of the varitarget switches remains closed.
    it is a common problem with varitargets in general, they don't always go back to resting position properly and/or the several contact blades are misadjusted or get dirty.

Thank you very much for your response.
    Yes, it is the coil not releasing the cam on the vari-target but I don't know why that is. I can hear a faint buzzing when it is trying so maybe it is the transistor. The coil looks brand new and works perfectly most of the time.

Alan

#6 6 months ago

It hasn't been getting better. Now I randomly get an error message with CHECK in all four displays.
    The #1 and #2 display definitely says CHECK while the #3 and #4 word looks like CHECK but the last letter is unknown.

What does this mean?

#7 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pascal_J:

as I hardly ever visit pinside, not due to lack of interest but due to lack of time, if you had contacted me directly thru the contact page of my web site (www.flippp.com), you would have received a quicker answer

#8 6 months ago

Yes, I've been sending him messages but don't know if he is getting them from the website.

#9 6 months ago

So far I know it is not the under playfield transistor which is the one identified in the error code. I replaced it just now and it played two games OK then it hung up on the Lamp P17 error.
    Rebooting fixes it so I'm suspecting the board.

#10 6 months ago

But did you check the contacts related to the varitarget?

Last part of Pascal's message:
    "so in your case, it's related to the coil driven by lamp output #17 = varitarget reset coil: one of the varitarget switches remains closed.
    >>>> It is a common problem with varitargets in general, they don't always go back to resting position properly and/or the several contact blades are misadjusted or get dirty. <<<<"

It could be due to dirty contacts where it registers in a static position during testing but doesn't always register during actual operation.

#11 6 months ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

But did you check the contacts related to the varitarget?
    Last part of Pascal's message:
    "so in your case, it's related to the coil driven by lamp output #17 = varitarget reset coil: one of the varitarget switches remains closed.
    &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; It is a common problem with varitargets in general, they don't always go back to resting position properly and/or the several contact blades are misadjusted or get dirty. &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;"
    It could be due to dirty contacts where it registers in a static position during testing but doesn't always register during actual operation.

That part has been checked after reflowing all rivet wire solder tabs, abrading rivets, cleaning wipers and adjusting alignment.

When it won't reset the solenoid and gives the error I lift the playfield and jump the varitarget contact rivet solder tabs but error stays.
    If I just reboot the game the problem goes away. That may indicate a problem on the board?

Thanks.

#12 6 months ago

I would suspect his board last... it is possible that it could have taken a hit but check the inexpensive and problem prone stuff first.

Next follow the wiring and check the edge connectors (big System 1 weak point).

#13 6 months ago

Yanno.....I'm just figuring out my way around the PI board myself, only I'm doing it on a Joker Poker.

I'm not terribly familiar with vari-target mechs in general, but I have a lot of practical experience with repairs in general (look at my former collection...most of those games were basically project games..) and if you want a second pair of eyes on it in person, without having to pay a local tech...I might be able to find some time in the evening after work or something.

The board is very robust in terms of how rigorous it is with testing switches and coils. I had a dead transistor on the board (Don't ask..I did something dumb. I fixed it myself instead of sending the board back and acting like I had no clue) but it was the damndest thing....anytime I'd put the fuse in for that coil, suddenly it would say that ALL coils were locked on, even though the only thing that changed was power to that one? Odd, but replacing the transistor fixed it, sure enough. I definitely don't recommend doing rework on the PI board without a good amount of prior experience with board work.... those things are packed in there pretty tight.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.00
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 45.99
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.95
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside