IMG_3577 (resized).JPG
IMG_3575 (resized).JPG
IMG_3681 (resized).JPG
IMG_3613 (resized).jpeg
119 (resized).jpg
20231228_110903 (resized).jpg
20231228_110856 (resized).jpg
20231111_230439 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sheprd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 8 years ago

I have one of these cool machines. If you ever have trouble and the Captain stops moving his jaw, see my post on broken wires.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/broken-wires

Mac

2 months later
#23 8 years ago

Problem: balls occasionally fly off of the left ramp.

This seems to happen when the speed of the ball exceeds the ability of the ramp to hold it in place.

Design idea to eliminate balls from flying off of the left ramp: Slow the ball down. Ways to do this?

I was thinking of putting an electromagnet attached to the habitrail between where it exits from the back before it transitions to the clear plastic ramp (see below). When the VUK solenoid fires, it would trigger the magnet "on" and it would grab the ball when it reaches the top of the trail, like what happens when the spiral magnets grab the ball in TZ. The magnet would then release and let gravity take the ball down the ramp at a reasonable speed that would not cause the random fly-offs.

Challenges: Will a magnet made from a solenoid and elevator bolt be strong enough to grab the ball? Does it need to completely grab it, or will tugging on it slow it down enough? I don't think I need a magnet as large as the TZ magnet, as the grab point can be very close and focused in the habitrail. Will a ball released from standstill stay on the ramp or is too slow a problem? How long to leave the magnet energized? For proper game flow, you want the pause to be as small as possible... hopefully unnoticeable.

Is there a spare solenoid driver available that can be used on PZ... will need to look.

Alternatives: Is there an easier way to solve this problem that will be reliable?

Thoughts?

exit.jpgexit.jpg

1 year later
#125 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

Well I give up fighting the ball coming off the ramp just do yourself a favor and use the hose method

I tried the "hose" method, without much success. Still had balls shooting off the ramps at various points.

I did find a solution! I placed a neodymium bar magnet under the exit habitrail. This magnet is strong enough to grab the ball as it shoots out, but can't quite stop the ball. It slows it to a point where the ball NEVER flies off the ramp anymore. You don't see the slowdown as it happens, but you can sure see the results!

Mac

7 months later
#214 6 years ago
Quoted from SkaterVet:

I ended up removing the connectors and soldering the wires.

For wires that flex a lot, crimps last longer than solder... the solder makes the wire stiff and creates a point of stress right where the solder ends... which will break. The crimps let the wire flex a bit and last longer. What I have done is replaced the crappy wire that they used with highly flexible wire from an old set of volt-ohm meter test leads... these are rated to flex for thousands of cycles and not break. Not so for cheap wire that they used on these games.

Something to consider when it breaks again Mac

1 year later
#323 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Ball coming off ramp issue.... put tons and tons of random plastic guides from other machines on the damn game.
[quoted image][quoted image]

See my post from a couple of years ago on using a magnet to slow the ball down. - Sheprd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Glen Rock, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sheprd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/partyzone-1?tu=sheprd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.