IMG_3577 (resized).JPG
IMG_3575 (resized).JPG
IMG_3681 (resized).JPG
IMG_3613 (resized).jpeg
119 (resized).jpg
20231228_110903 (resized).jpg
20231228_110856 (resized).jpg
20231111_230439 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider peruman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#439 4 years ago

I’m starting work on a Party Zone that is going to be a project. A lot of the hardware is rusted and there were mice in it too.

How does the ramp in the photo below attach to the playfield? Are there supposed to be screws there?

Thanks!

5AB865B1-94AE-4814-BEB4-9EBDCC55F290 (resized).jpeg5AB865B1-94AE-4814-BEB4-9EBDCC55F290 (resized).jpeg
#441 4 years ago

Thanks for the help, the two screws are gone - totally rusted out. I'm having to drill them out to get the ramp off. The playfield is diamond plate so I'm hoping it cleans up well. There was a huge mouse nest in it so there is tons of debris everywhere. I think all that moisture caused some serious rust. The kickout under Capt Bazarre is gone - completely rusted out. I'm stripping everything off to get it as clean as possible. This is going to be a long term project.

I've already had to drill out 4 screws that were completely rusted out.

This is also all new to me, I've done several EM's before, never a solid state game. I added a few photos. Most of the really bad grime was under the plastics where the mice were living.

_1_PartyZone (resized).jpg_1_PartyZone (resized).jpg_2_PartyZone (resized).jpg_2_PartyZone (resized).jpg_3_PartyZone (resized).jpg_3_PartyZone (resized).jpg
#444 4 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Well its looks like you have all the hard to get parts there! ramps and playfield actually look ok! hopefully the batteries were removed from the MPU in the backbox or did the leak all over the board? your in Merrimack. I' not too far away from you if you ever need help getting this up and running. well after we all figure out this COVID-19 thing....

Langless28 the MPU in the game did get some battery damage but the seller included a new MPU and also a new DMD display (the one on the machine is cracked). I'm looking forward to completing the disassembly. I need to remove the playfield completely since the bottom of the cabinet is gone.

1 month later
#520 3 years ago

I'm finally starting work on a Party Zone I got over the winter. I have only worked on EM's up to this point so the SS thing is kind of daunting. The playfield is in good shape as are most of the plastics. I also have a new MPU and DMD boards that need to be installed.

There are several issues and I hope I can get your help in working through them:

* There is no bottom to the cabinet so I have no idea where the transformer or speaker or any of that are supposed to sit
* Wires were just pulled with no labeling, hopefully I can answer most of this with the manual and schematics
* Wires that were not just pulled were yanked/cut
* RUST - there is heavy rusting in areas of the game to the point where many fasteners will just have to be drilled or cut

Probably got myself in over my head but we'll see how it goes.

Right now I'm taking off all the really rusty bits to clean them. After that I want to take off the playfield so I can start rebuilding the cabinet. I have not worked on a SS pinball before. How do I remove the playfield? Is there something I need to pay special attention to?

Thanks!

_01 (resized).jpg_01 (resized).jpg_01_Bazarre_Kicker (resized).jpg_01_Bazarre_Kicker (resized).jpg_03 (resized).jpg_03 (resized).jpg_1_PartyZone (resized).jpg_1_PartyZone (resized).jpg_2_PartyZone (resized).jpg_2_PartyZone (resized).jpg_4_PartyZone (resized).jpg_4_PartyZone (resized).jpg

#522 3 years ago

I do have those components and also the transformer (see 2nd photo below). The speaker is nowhere to be found. I had already started taking all the rusty parts off the playfield to start the process of cleaning them. From what I have seen from other PZ games, I'm pretty sure all the PF parts are there, they are just rusty and a few are damaged. The kickout hole under the Captain head will need some new components.

The backbox is in good shape, all the boards are present. DMD glass is cracked, but I have a new one that came with the game. MPU looks OK, but the seller also included a new MPU. Lots of cables inside the backbox, most have both ends disconnected with nothing labeled, there are two where the connector is gone but that can be replaced. Only one of the speakers is in the backbox.

The third photo, gray power supply, has two wires (black and white) that were just yanked off something - no idea where those go.

The coin door (last two photos) took a beating. Most of the mechs are bent or broken. Even the frame on the door is not square since the coin door does not really close. The little PCB with test buttons is there but also got ripped off the door, not sure where that goes.

Apron appeared to be in good shape, but after removing it, most of the bottom is rusty where the paint is starting to separate from the metal. Shooting rod was missing.

I checked the Captain B-zar head, the board with the optos is below it. The wires that control the jaw are cut though.

The wires from the playfield are like a plate of spaghetti right now, I plan to unravel those tonight before pulling the playfield off.

That manual has so much information. It has been a huge help in all of this.

I'm taking it slow with this one, one thing at a time. I have a feeling it's going to take a while to turn this game around but I'm looking forward to it.

_6_Party_Zone (resized).jpg_6_Party_Zone (resized).jpg_5_PartyZone (resized).jpg_5_PartyZone (resized).jpg_05 (resized).jpg_05 (resized).jpg_07 (resized).jpg_07 (resized).jpg_10 (resized).jpg_10 (resized).jpg
#525 3 years ago

Maddog and Langless, thanks for all the help.

Maddog —> is there nothing bracing the cabinet bottom under the transformer? That’s a heavy item. These photos are great, now I know how everything is laid out

#529 3 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Sorry I was confusing my era of wpc cabinets.
I can make a new bottom panel for you if you want. With cutouts and everything based off my party zone cabinet. Or I can give you dimensions if you are a fellow woodworker.

Thanks for the offer, that would be awesome. I'm not much of a woodworker - I can do some stuff but I don't have many finishing skills. Please let me know what measurements, if any, you need from my game.

#530 3 years ago

I took a couple photos of the cabinet bottom, the new bottom would fit into that channel that is already in the bottom of the cabinet, right? Some of the plywood there is delaminating so I will glue and clamp it tonight so it's more sound. The beam that braces the cabinet (second photo) is also loose, I will glue this too.

The third photo is one of the side rails - not sure how it got mangled like that, but what is the best way to remove it? In the EM's I'm used to working on, the side rail is held in place by small nails - no nails on this one. Is it just a pressure fitting?

Thanks!

Cabinet1 (resized).jpgCabinet1 (resized).jpgCabinet2 (resized).jpgCabinet2 (resized).jpgCabinet3 (resized).jpgCabinet3 (resized).jpg
#533 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The side rails are held on with fairly strong double stick tape. There is a high possibility if you try to remove it you will pull the side art off the cabinet. Not a big deal if you are also redoing the cabinet art.

the cabinet art is in good shape, a little faded but not bad. I’ll see what can be done to bend it close to original shape

#535 3 years ago

The disassembly and cleanup has been slow but it's progressing. I started at the apron and am taking what is needed off (tons of photos and notes), cleaning it, and re-assembling it so I can re-install it later. So far I have done all the mechs under the apron and outhole, the flippers, and the outhole kicker just below the Capt B.Zarr head.

The photos below are of the outhole kicker. It was completely seized due to rust, now it's clean and ready to go.

PZ_Outhole_Before (resized).jpgPZ_Outhole_Before (resized).jpgPZ_Outhole_After (resized).jpgPZ_Outhole_After (resized).jpg
#537 3 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Can you post a photo of the ball gate wire under the apron?

These are the ones I have.

_03 (resized).jpg_03 (resized).jpg_05 (resized).jpg_05 (resized).jpg
#540 3 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

This has been discussed numerous times already but I just added a 5/16 inch post rubber to top of wire habitrail the ball exits from after a left ramp shot and it slows the ball waaay down. I'd be shocked if it ever comes off again!

For us who have disassembled Party Zones, can you post a photo?

#543 3 years ago

Before I get myself into trouble in my playfield teardown, is there a correct way to remove the entire Capt B.Zarre head assembly off the playfield? I got the wires to the opto board and wire harness disconnected. I see there are four screws holding the metal bracket onto the playfield, but how do I get the Captain's head through the hole?

Alberto

#546 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

There are 4 -1/4 inch size screws holding the mech in place
Remove the connectors to the assembly
Then 2 screws on each side on Capt Head
Be sure not to tear as you pull up
Then I usually loosen the lowest pop bumper to allow wiggle room
Works for me

Thanks! I’ll work on the pop bumpers to get better access to the head. No need to worry about the connectors since those wires were cut.

#547 3 years ago

If possible, could someone post a photo of their shooter rod assembly? Other than the mount on the outside, everything else is missing on mine. Trying to see what parts I need to order.

Thanks,

Alberto

#549 3 years ago

It's perfect, thank you!

#550 3 years ago

All three pop bumpers are off as is the Captain’s head. All metal parts are in Evaporust, all plastic parts have been cleaned with Krud Kutter.

Captain is in rough shape, but I will repaint him after cleaning.

Alberto

570B43C7-63AF-4B1A-8DFC-74D0BC77A4F4 (resized).jpeg570B43C7-63AF-4B1A-8DFC-74D0BC77A4F4 (resized).jpeg9A9D69EF-3D4D-4009-AA69-6A36F3A9472B (resized).jpeg9A9D69EF-3D4D-4009-AA69-6A36F3A9472B (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#551 3 years ago

After a break, I’m back into my Party Zone rebuild. I’m ready to take the playfield out of the cabinet. One of the things I noticed is that the ground braid is wrapped around and running with one of the wire harnesses. It’s the harness that goes to the coin door and flippers. I’m not a solid state guy, so is this normal?

Also, most of the ground braid is corroded, some bits are missing. Can someone post a photo of how the braid is run in the cabinet?

Thanks again, this group has been awesome in helping me bring this game back from the dead.

Alberto

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Glen Rock, PA
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider peruman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/partyzone-1?tu=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.