party zone ramps broken, B zarr head not moving

By halomojo

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I just picked up a Party Zone that needs a little bit of work. The right ramp is split in half and the left ramp is from a different machine, not sure which. I know that parts are very hard to find for this machine. Is there any word of replacement ramps on the way, or does anyone know of ramps from other games that will work for the left and right return ramps on Party Zone? I'm not opposed to having different ramps, although I'd prefer them to be metal like Dr. Dude.

Also, B Zarr's head will move shortly when the machine is just turning on, but after he ends up winding his head backwards and then just stopping there for the rest of the game. Any ideas on that one? Thanks a bunch!

#2 8 years ago

the ramps are unoptanium
you could try marcospecialties

the head i believe is probably an opto problem
search the forum there was a post on it.

good luck

#3 8 years ago

Do you know if there is any word of them being reproduced in the future? Thanks.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from halomojo:

Do you know if there is any word of them being reproduced in the future? Thanks.

No one is remaking those ramps or have them in the que to be remade at this time.

#5 8 years ago

nope had the same and ramps are sooooo rare,
mine were pretty okay exept some cracks,
parted with my partyzone but i know a lot of owners would love new ramps!

maybe make a mold and fiberglass new ones til someone makes them?

#6 8 years ago

Bummer about the ramps! Maybe I'll try to find some metal ramps from another machine that would fit. I took a video of the Captain B. Zarr head issue. His head will spin around when I power up the machine, but during gameplay he faces backwards and does not move. Could anyone shed some light on this. Thanks!

#7 8 years ago

Also, could anyone think of any ramps (metal or plastic) that might fit with a bit of finagling?

#8 8 years ago

Bump.

#9 8 years ago

The video pretty much says it all. No error on the mouth moving. No error on position one (head to the right), no error on position 2 (head looking forward), an error every time on position 3 (head to the left). Turn the machine off while the head is turned to the left. Raise the playfield and look at the bottom of the mechanism to see which opto pair is being blocked in that position. Clean that opto pair (clean them all while you are there) and see if the problem goes away. If not, then you'll need to determine if the opto pair is working - usually if one of the 2 optos in a pair goes out it is the transmitter not the receiver. You may be able to use a digital camera (perhaps a cell phone camera would work too, I've never tried it) to see if the infrared beam is shining from the transmitter opto.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

The video pretty much says it all. No error on the mouth moving. No error on position one (head to the right), no error on position 2 (head looking forward), an error every time on position 3 (head to the left). Turn the machine off while the head is turned to the left. Raise the playfield and look at the bottom of the mechanism to see which opto pair is being blocked in that position. Clean that opto pair (clean them all while you are there) and see if the problem goes away. If not, then you'll need to determine if the opto pair is working - usually if one of the 2 optos in a pair goes out it is the transmitter not the receiver. You may be able to use a digital camera (perhaps a cell phone camera would work too, I've never tried it) to see if the infrared beam is shining from the transmitter opto.

Thanks a bunch! I'll give it a shot.

#11 8 years ago

I reseated the cable for the optos on the B. Zarr head and everything seemed to work for about 3 minutes. Head was tracking like it's supposed to and then it cut out again. Any idea of what could be causing that?

#12 8 years ago

Clean all the optos on that mechanism (There are at least 3 pairs of optos there, and they are easy to clean with a Q tip and alcohol). If that doesn't do it but reseating the cable again (after cleaning the optos) yields an improvement than examine carefully the board header connectors where the cable connects to look for any cracked solder joints and if found reflow the solder.

7 months later
#13 7 years ago

Was the problem ever fixed? I have the same issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Glen Rock, PA
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/party-zone-ramps-broken-b-zarr-head-not-moving and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.