• Latest reply 8 years ago by tonyf1965
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

popeye 1.jpg
#1 9 years ago

What will keep my 8 yr old boys interest (and mine) longer. Also which one would be easier to maintain\repair.

#2 9 years ago

I would say Party Zone... Owned the Dude and it got old really quick. PZ seems like there is a little more to do and there are more shots than the Dude.

#3 9 years ago

For me as an only pin I would not get either. I have had both and they get old quick. For a little more I would go with a FT or something like that. They can still be had for not that much money. The 8 year old would love it.

#4 9 years ago

I like both games but for different reasons. While I think that Dr. Dude is a great Sys11 game, it's is not a Party Zone. PZ has a lot more shots and overall, has a better play-field layout. I really think the main reason that I like PZ is because it PLAYS like a sys11, and references a lot of classic pinball sounds and characters, but it happens to be a WPC game. I get a similar feeling when playing The Shadow.

I played a lot of PZ lately and think it is more fun if you modify it a little bit to make it more difficult. Lightning flipper bats and making the ramp a lot more difficlut makes the game a lot more balanced regarding points.

Party Zone is essentially a pinball about drinking... Maybe not the best for 8 year olds. There are a lot of drunk references and jokes in the game. Some say the sound is bad, I don't think it's bad. Some think it's unbalanced. Out of the box, I would agree. You can make the game challenging and more enjoyable, long term, if you set it up properly.

PZ also gets a bad rep because of it's theme. I don't care much about theme in pinball. PZ is a well designed game, if you can take the cheese and corny-ness of it all. One other tip is that it looks a little drab with incandescent bulbs in it.

#5 9 years ago

Dude.

Party zone is just a mess.

#6 9 years ago

They're both about the same interest-wise and the themes are pretty comparable. Also similar to maintain (mixmaster spinner vs. Captain rotating head). I have a soft spot for Dr. Dude, but they're both fun, if sort of shallow, games. Your 8 year old isn't going to have any sort of nostalgia for the 1980s though, so maybe look into a theme he might be more into? Jurassic Park, superheroes, etc. Just a thought.

#7 9 years ago

I think Party Zone is better and more appropriate - but it's still more of a young adult game than a kids game... Tee'd Off and WCS are the perfect all-around family/kids games, IMO.

#8 9 years ago

I've got both. Dude is a better game ruleset wise and I'd keep that one over Party Zone, but both are good games if you enjoy the themes!

1 month later
#10 8 years ago

Jump over to a really fun game, for a bit more money. Popeye is great for all ages. A few brite leds in dark areas. Long term tons of fun. Very underrated. Hard game, but a keeper.

popeye 1.jpgpopeye 1.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/party-zone-or-dr-dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.