Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by boastaflow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Which is a better pin and which is worth more?

#2 9 years ago

I would have to say Black Rose. Its a lot tougher game and not so stop and go like Party Zone. I also do not like the theme of Party Zone.

#3 9 years ago

Black Rose is so much more fun than PZ. I found PZ really boring - i fully restored one and even it was not much fun to play..

While rules are not deep on BR, its great fun trying to sink as many ships as possible in a game (7 is my best)

#4 9 years ago

Black Rose is worth more from what I've seen. I picked up a really nice PZ for $1,600, and that was likely on the high side. I don't know that I see many BR in the same condition selling for less than $1,800-2,000.

I really enjoy both games, and wouldn't mind either in a collection. BR has a lot more going on, but I prefer PZ by a small margin.

#5 9 years ago

Black rose

#6 9 years ago

I like Black Rose over Party Zone. The theme and shots and hidden cannon shot.

#7 9 years ago

If Party Zone had better ramp design it would be a competition. Those ramps were not designed well though and the game has suffered for that reason.

#8 9 years ago

Another vote for Black Rose! We just picked one up a few weeks ago after loving it at expo. It's my current favorite!

#9 9 years ago

BR is still here, PZ is gone

#10 9 years ago

Oh god this is a toughie...

- Party Zone: Dennis Nordman capped off his party trilogy in 1991 with this machine. PZ features a talking head named "Captain B. Zarr", along with several other party characters included in Dennis' other games up to that point. The primary objective is to collect the Big Bang by successfully exceeding the New Frontier through the Rock-It, while getting additional score boosts with special Way-out-of-Control rewards and trips to see the Supersonic Robotic Comic. Honestly I think the art style is extremely catchy here (maybe it's just me) but I don't think the rules are deep enough for you to keep it forever. Also the game gets annoying after a while.

- Black Rose: Created as a joint effort between John Trudeau and Brian Eddy, BR takes a legendary pirate theme and integrates it into pinball. The primary feature on this machine is a cannon that you can use to shoot balls at certain shots, along with a lift-up ramp and a quick broadside habitrail. Modes include 7 cannon rewards that advance towards Extra Ball, a deep multiball, and 7 broadside rewards that advance towards lighting the Jackpot. There are also many side features including combos and lots of flow. Rule set is on par with Party Zone in terms of deepness but it appears to have just a wee bit more depth to it.

#11 9 years ago

Have you read this Black Rose thread? There are lots of things to appreciate about this discussion...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-rose-is-a-tough-game

As for PZ, if you're considering buying, make sure the ramps are in fantastic condition. There are no replacements available. Same goes for the big plastic red rocket that sits on top of the short ramp located in the upper left playfield area. (Although the ramps are way more important than the red rocket.)

#12 9 years ago

Ah - ignore my ramp and rocket comments. I see you already own PZ.

#13 9 years ago

No brainer for me: Black Rose. Passed on a HUO PZ for very cheap recently.

#14 9 years ago

Party zone. Fun, family friendly game that is easy to play.

#15 9 years ago

Black Rose... Not that I really like Black Rose, but because I didn't enjoy Party Zone at all.

#16 9 years ago

Black Rose. Very underated game. Everyone that comes over and plays it has a blast. Love mine..

1 week later
#17 9 years ago

I vote for Black Rose, cool pirate theme

#19 9 years ago

I've had PZ for about 10 yrs... I really enjoy mine. However, I don't have much time on BR. Only played it in the wild.

3 weeks later
#20 9 years ago

Partyzone is my first pin and i love it. but you do have to get a good one.

#21 9 years ago

Of the two, I would rather own or play BR than PZ. From what I remember of PZ (it's been quite some time since I've played one) the music wasn't that great, though the gameplay was decent. BR is a superb pin all around and I think the reason I never got to play it in "first run" was because it was the last pinball made before TAF. I am guessing once word got around about TAF (best selling game of all time), most arcades decided not to bother with BR.

#22 9 years ago

Black Rose

#23 9 years ago

I own a PZ and thought about selling it and buying a Black Rose. After reading all of your opinions, I am leaning toward just keeping the PZ and saving to buy the Black Rose. Thanks, docv

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from docv:

I own a PZ and thought about selling it and buying a Black Rose. After reading all of your opinions, I am leaning toward just keeping the PZ and saving to buy the Black Rose. Thanks, docv

Good Idea. Black rose is still a title that is a good value/ bang for your buck. Especially for a DMD. I don't know why it hasn't climbed in price like some of the other titles. I am happy that I picked mine up before it does.

That's what I'd do for two reasons.

1) both are good games in a collection
2) you can never have too many pinball machines

Also, I am always down in Dover/Philly, any good games out in the wild?

McPin54

1 year later
#25 8 years ago

Id say both....I have a pz and am on the hunt for a br.........both grate games both very diffrent

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Glen Rock, PA
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 34.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/party-zone-or-black-rose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.