Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dahlman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi, Need some advice on a party zone machine.
It all started after a couple of hours of good gaming...
The wires for the DJ's jaw snapped from the coil and shorted the switch matrix.
We resoldered the jaw coil and then the machine would not boot, just telling us to check Fuse F114 and F115.
The F115 3/4A was blowing all the time so we decided to change the U20 chip and get it socketed while at it.
Now with a fresh U20 the machine booted and all switches seems to work!....almost
All switches except Flipper left and right is working, we have checked this in the switch edges test in the diagnostics.
Turned off the machine, measured the U20 chip to make sure it's still good. And it was.
Since this is not the fliptronics version i supose these signals comes from the driver board by the two opto couplers U7
and U8, performed a diode test on thoose. Seems OK! Measured all the diodes on the lower part of the MPU board. All OK!
I've googled a lot about U20 disasters and many states that U14 is a good candidate to get co-fried with the U20.
Now, Is it possible that this U14 chip also could be blown even that other switches in both the row and column of the matrix works?
Trying to understand the circuit

Can i test the flipper inputs by jumpering between J207 (pin 1) and J209 (pin 1 and 2)? Or is that only possible on a
fliptronic version? (Would make sense)

#2 4 years ago

What game ROM version do you have installed?

CPU Eprom U6 Version L-3 (Non-Fliptronics Games Only)

CPU Eprom U6 Version F-4 (Prototype Fliptronics Games Only)

copied this from http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/wpc.html

#3 4 years ago

It's the L-1 ROM

#4 4 years ago

Do you recall testing it out before you had problems?

#5 4 years ago

Yes, we could pick a song and type in hi score initials.

#6 4 years ago

If you cannot select a song, then U7 and U8 should be replaced on the power driver board.

#7 4 years ago

Yes, if they are bad. I have measured them and they seem ok!

#8 4 years ago

Since replacing U20, are you able to select the song during game play?

#9 4 years ago

No. That's the main question.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside