DSCF2145 (resized).JPG
DSCF2139[1] (resized).JPG
DSCF2138[1] (resized).JPG
DSCF2137[1] (resized).JPG
DSCF2136[1] (resized).JPG
DSCF2135[1] (resized).JPG
D2 16V.jpg
#1 5 years ago

I’ve had this game for over 10 years now, but last week in the middle of a game, my PZ reset for the 1st time ever. Note that this is a true HUO game, with virtually no wear or use on it, other than the driver brd replaced by the previous owner (she sold it to me because the PZ did not work again- batteries turned out to be dead).
When I turned it back on, I got the “fuse F114/F115 failed” message after the Captain turned his head from right to left; head will not turn back to the right. Checked all fuses- OK. Thinking it might be the opto brd on the head, I removed the power to it and the power to the head itself- same thing.

LED's 1, 2 and 3 will not light on the driver brd. TP1 gives 14.96. TP2 is OK. TP3 should be 12; gives less than 1. TP6 gives 16.3; TP7 is OK; TP8 should be 50 (says so on brd), but gives 80.

AC voltage at J101 pins 4 & 7 is OK- gives 14. J101 pins 5 & 6 gives 14. J101 pin 6 to fuse 114 gives 14.

Any ideas? Driver board NG again? On the CPU, the LED’s do the correct test sequence (top & bottom turn on, top goes off, center blinks rapidly]. I put a remote battery on the machine running to the coin box when I first got it.

#2 5 years ago

1st thought is a leaking capacitor C2 on the powerdriverboard. It is located next to the 12V regulator.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks. Well, it doesn't appear to be swollen or leaking, but I have not removed the board to check underneath. No other caps seem deformed or leaking as well. Any other thoughts?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from browbeeter:

Any other thoughts?

Can you measure voltage on D2 (see pic) ? Should be about 16Vdc

D2 16V.jpgD2 16V.jpg

#5 5 years ago

Yes, I get just under 16 from F115 to D2. I just noticed however what may be cap leakage on C9, just above TP6, near R260. I can't seem to find in my notes I made last week what cap 9 function is.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from browbeeter:

TP3 should be 12; gives less than 1.

Quoted from browbeeter:

Checked all fuses- OK.

Quoted from browbeeter:

just under 16 from F115 to D2.

Quoted from zaza:

1st thought is a leaking capacitor C2 on the powerdriverboard.

Still thinking C2 has been leaking and traces are eaten away underneath.

#7 5 years ago

Like Grumpy when it comes to System 11 ... zaza is THE MAN when it comes to WPC.

#8 5 years ago

Ok, I labeled the cables last nite and will pull the brd out to check- sounds like it has to be worked on anyway...

#9 5 years ago

I am no expert. but this does not look like quality work- surprised it functioned as long as it did. Guess it will be sent out to someone who works better than this.

DSCF2135[1] (resized).JPGDSCF2135[1] (resized).JPGDSCF2136[1] (resized).JPGDSCF2136[1] (resized).JPGDSCF2137[1] (resized).JPGDSCF2137[1] (resized).JPGDSCF2138[1] (resized).JPGDSCF2138[1] (resized).JPGDSCF2139[1] (resized).JPGDSCF2139[1] (resized).JPG
#10 5 years ago

That is a (capacitor) modification on the 5Volt circuit.
But not related to the “fuse F114/F115 failed” message.

#11 5 years ago

Ok, but what about the 3rd picture down, it goes to Q2, and does not appear to be even soldered down, just pushed thru the 3 holes? Wish I took better pictures, I'll try again.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from browbeeter:

and does not appear to be even soldered down, just pushed thru the 3 holes?

You mean the heatsink of Q2 ?

#13 5 years ago

Under Q1, the circuit brd is discolored from heat, and I am not sure if this is cap leakeage or brd damage by R260.

DSCF2145 (resized).JPGDSCF2145 (resized).JPG
#14 5 years ago

No, the heat sink of Q1, it is next to the cap I just took a pic of.

#15 5 years ago

Oh, sorry, I am getting ahead of myself, yes the Q2 heatsink does not have a soldering, but I guess that's ok if it is just a heatsink, duh.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from browbeeter:

, but I guess that's ok if it is just a heatsink

Yep, correct.

Best concentrate on C2 + Q2 area first, on top side of the circuit board.

12Vreg.jpg12Vreg.jpg

#17 5 years ago

Yes, I think you are right, C2 does appear to have leaked. THANK YOU so much!!!

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Still thinking C2 has been leaking and traces are eaten away underneath.

Quoted from browbeeter:

Yes, I think you are right, C2 does appear to have leaked. THANK YOU so much!!!

zaza - FTW!!! (unofficial zaza cheer squad )

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

zaza - FTW!!! (unofficial zaza cheer squad )

This guy's diagrams are the best!!!

2 weeks later
#20 5 years ago

Update: Well, I sent the driver board out to Chris H. for repairs; he replaced C2, C4, C5, and the .156 headers for power and General Illumination. Board came back today, and everything works fine now. Thanks Chris !! (And everyone else who helped).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Glen Rock, PA
Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/party-zone-gives-fuse-f114-f115-failed-message and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.