(Topic ID: 246513)

Party Animal - Partial Sound Issues / Missing Speaker?

By MaxAsh

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7B634282-1299-4BE3-BF2C-EFE1EE73F729 (resized).jpeg
PA_missingspeaker (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MaxAsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hey All - picked up a Party Animal, and I'm having some sound issues. Initially I had no sound, but adjusting the pot on the sound board gave me some sound back. The only thing I have is the brief "attract" music, and then the drum "tom" sound effect. Nothing else. No tunes, no in-game music or sound effects except for the single tom drum beat when various things are hit all over the game. I found another thread with the same issue, but only once response from ChrisHibler and the OP never came back.

Some notes:

* C12 is still on the sound board. I see the service bulletin saying it can cause failure of the 7533 DAC. Could that be the issue? I don't know the DAC functionality well enough to know for sure if that would cause some missing music/sounds.

* Going into Sound Test mode, I only get a single sound... the drum beat I mentioned.

* There is no cabinet speaker, only a backbox speaker. It looks like someone removed it? Can another Party Animal owner confirm there's a cabinet speaker? I see some loose wires in the cab. I don't think this would prevent the sounds in question from being played, but I found this odd. If it's missing can someone tell me the speaker rating/values so I can replace?

* Sounds Deluxe Board LED is flashing 6 times (which is normal I've read)

I'm not familiar with 6803, so I welcome all suggestions. I've reseated connectors and TP1 on the Sound Board has 5.00VDC

#4 4 years ago

This game has the "Sounds Deluxe" board. So the DAC failure can cause some sounds to work, but others not to?

#6 4 years ago

Any idea where these can be sourced? Looks like they're hard to find. AD7533 I see some on eBay, but they end with letters like AD7533SQ, AD7533LN

And I assume remove C12 at the same time per this doc: http://www.pinrepair.com/6803/6803removecap.pdf

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

before you do all this, make sure you check the sound settings via the test button on the coin door. Not sure about this game but most bally games have sound options. Check the manual to make sure you have the setting correct to get all the sounds.

Oh there are settings that would allow partial sounds? Weird... I'll look into that now.

Okay, good to know the JN ones are okay, I'll grab one. I just remove C12, so that's good.

Sidenote: There's no battery, so it loses settings after being off. The former owner had a poorly attached rechargeable, which I can replace with a remote pack easily enough.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

check the manual for the sound settings. Might be your whole issue.

Yep, you nailed it. Now I know what happened. The poorly installed, weird "rechargeable battery" that the previous owner had in there fell off in transit. That caused settings to be lost, which meant that the game was all goofy in that regard.

Sound Mode (Basic Options) was "0" and should be "3", and Sounds Set Option (Feature Options) was "0" meaning it was missing a few fun effects like the 'Burp' sound effect.

As soon as I changed those to "3" and "1" respectively, everything was back: music, sound effects, etc.

Thank you jj44114 ! Time to properly install a remote battery (or grab some NVRAM) so this doesn't happen again. Glad this was a simple fix, much appreciated.

#12 4 years ago

Before I mark this solved... can anyone tell me what the bottom cabinet speaker should be on this game? Thanks!

Edit: Here's all I have in the cabinet... clearly someone removed it for some reason. I have a couple of 6.5ohm and 8ohm speakers lying around from arcade parts.

PA_missingspeaker (resized).jpgPA_missingspeaker (resized).jpg
#14 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

I have one. What info do you need, ohms?

drsfmd yes please, Ohms and I guess Wattage rating if it's on there. If you could look at the wiring quick too, I'd appreciate it. Looks like I have two black wires and a double-white on a connector. I added a pic to my previous post for reference.

#15 4 years ago

I hooked up a cheap 8ohm speaker I had. Realized from looking at some videos that it was 2 black wires together and 2 white wires together, going to each tab of the speaker. Works, but is definitely a little quiet since it's likely supposed to be 4ohm I'm guessing. Also made the backbox speaker get a little quieter, I assume because they share the load. If someone lets me know the exact stats, I'll see if I can find a better cabinet speaker cheap!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

I’ll take a pic for you tomorrow.

Thank you!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Obviously not the original speaker. No markings regards ohms.

darn... yea that got replaced. Maybe there was something wrong with the originals. Thanks for checking, I appreciate it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MaxAsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/party-animal-partial-sound-issues?tu=MaxAsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.