(Topic ID: 312865)

Parts trouble? !?! (Operator can't get parts/support from distributor or stern)

By spectrum-1980s

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 322 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Anony
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221206_185325 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Mouser (resized).png
    LPC1313FHN33 (resized).png
    Programming Interface (resized).png
    ATmega4809 (resized).png
    LPC1313FN33 (resized).png
    IMG_20221022_140058_HDR (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20221104_015505_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20221102_225005_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20221102_225017_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20221102_225022_HDR (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221102-225643 (resized).png
    IMG_20221102_225029_HDR (resized).jpg
    59B185B3-EDE6-47C3-B72A-10A89EA3C34D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seenev.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#202 1 year ago

I just had to contact Stern support for the first time in a few years. I forgot how bad their service is. It's actually really upsetting how much they charge for these games and how little they're willing to do to fix issues. I'm canceling my GZ premium order. I've had enough stern for now.

#218 1 year ago

Imagine if some people got together and started creating open-source eagle files for Stern PCBs where anyone could order boards and populate them and do their own run for hard to get parts.

1 month later
    #292 1 year ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Been wondering about this for a while but hadn't been able to find anything conclusive via the search tool. This post is the closest I've come!
    What would be the legality of reverse engineering, say, the #8/9 core node board (these being the most prevalent, from what I understand) and making the unpopulated PCBs (and the component BoM) available to the public?
    What about the legality of an individual doing small runs of populated boards in their garage and selling them as a third party alternative to the unobtanium-but-official Stern boards?
    My gut says "not legal." Does RottenDog (as an example) get by on their Bally/Williams/DE/Gottlieb/Stern Whitestar boards being quote unquote "redesigns of the originals?"
    I guess I'm just surprised nobody's done this yet, and I'm assuming there's a good reason for that.

Do any of the chips on the node boards have software on them? I assume so as they update once in a while. In that case, is it even possible to recreate the node boards without the software? You can get all the parts and put them together, but how would you flash the necessary software?

#298 1 year ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/520-7017-72D-Core-Node-Hall-3amp.pdf
    Looks like the rev shown in the above schematic of the 520-7017-72D does contain an Arm based microcontroller. I dunno without digging in if you could read the flash memory from an official node board and flash it to an unofficial one. Guess it's also possible that the normal node board update process might just take care of it for you.. But again, dunno.
    https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-microcontrollers/general-purpose-mcus/lpc1300-arm-cortex-m3/entry-level-32-bit-microcontroller-mcu-based-on-arm-cortex-m3-core:LPC1313FHN33
    Other than the LPC1313FN33, I'm not seeing anything else that looks like it would require programming. Just shift register ICs and MOSFETs, stuff like that.
    [quoted image]

Could something like this work?

https://forum.arduino.cc/t/how-to-rip-code-off-an-arduino/683082/2

The atmega328p-au chip in the arduino uno is a 32 pin microcontroller. If you took the chip from a stern node board, could you rip the software this way? I have a 32 pin socket for programming atmegas. I've never tried ripping anything though...

#304 1 year ago

I don't know a lot about this stuff, but this is what I use to program atmegas. I would guess something like this could be reconfigured to program other chips... You can move the pin jumpers around...

20221206_185325 (resized).jpg20221206_185325 (resized).jpg
    #308 1 year ago

Node boards are tricky, but at least it seems possible (maybe even easy) to recreate lamp boards. I have a feeling as these games age and go out of support, these custom lamp boards are going to be hard or impossible to get unless you make them yourself or buy them from a third party. I was about to start laying out a tmnt board in eagle until I realized I could fix my board by replacing a transistor. As stern doesn't seem to have any parts available for repairs, they're going to start forcing people to compete with them on parts.

3 weeks later
    #311 1 year ago
    Quoted from craif:

From the schematics and boards I've eyeballed the SMD designs for pins don't seem radically different from the through-hole boards of yesteryear that can often be repaired with what we learned from radioshack kits growing up. I keep wondering when some of the new generation of SMD hobbyists will cash in and start offering troubleshooting/boardwork as a service. Replacement boards have been difficult/impossible to source reliably for so long it seems like even a "best-effort" basis would be acceptable to a lot of people at this point.

Sometimes surface mount components are easier than through-hole to replace sometimes as they're easier to remove with a hot air station. You run the risk of tearing pads or burning the board, but unless you have a socketed component, I've never found through-hole components easy to replace.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seenev.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/parts-trouble-?tu=seenev and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.