(Topic ID: 312865)

Parts trouble? !?! (Operator can't get parts/support from distributor or stern)

By spectrum-1980s

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 322 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Anony
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221206_185325 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Mouser (resized).png
    LPC1313FHN33 (resized).png
    Programming Interface (resized).png
    ATmega4809 (resized).png
    LPC1313FN33 (resized).png
    IMG_20221022_140058_HDR (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20221104_015505_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20221102_225005_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20221102_225017_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20221102_225022_HDR (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221102-225643 (resized).png
    IMG_20221102_225029_HDR (resized).jpg
    59B185B3-EDE6-47C3-B72A-10A89EA3C34D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craif.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from Anony:

I think it depends on if they use any proprietary parts, which I'd think is unlikely, and what the issue is. Some issues can be tracked down by checking component by component for the problem part but a lot of the time you need a schematic to know what each part is supposed to be doing.
    It also depends if any of these boards are layered. If they have multiple layers the repairs become a lot harder from what I've seen.
    If someone can get a hold of the schematics it would probably go a long way to get repairs going.

All the way at the bottom of the stern support page there's pdfs for a bunch of node boards and some have schematics.

This is the page I'm referring to: https://sternpinball.com/support/
    Couple random schematics:

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/520-6976-72A-SPI-only-NODE-board.pdf
    https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/520-7014-00A-SPIKE2-MPU-Module-brd.pdf

There's several more besides those.

There doesn't seem to be nearly enough links on the page to cover all the boards but I've never gone through them to try to ID everything. It's possible there aren't as may different board designs as I imagine or maybe many of the boards are just minor variations to a few core designs. They seem pretty straightforward and random major components I've checked are all commodity things available from places like mouser, albeit some with nasty lead times right now but I'm just a through-hole hobbyist. Maybe someone actually able to do surface mount stuff will look at them and tell me how wrong I am.

3 months later
    #310 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Node boards are tricky, but at least it seems possible (maybe even easy) to recreate lamp boards. I have a feeling as these games age and go out of support, these custom lamp boards are going to be hard or impossible to get unless you make them yourself or buy them from a third party. I was about to start laying out a tmnt board in eagle until I realized I could fix my board by replacing a transistor. As stern doesn't seem to have any parts available for repairs, they're going to start forcing people to compete with them on parts.

From the schematics and boards I've eyeballed the SMD designs for pins don't seem radically different from the through-hole boards of yesteryear that can often be repaired with what we learned from radioshack kits growing up. I keep wondering when some of the new generation of SMD hobbyists will cash in and start offering troubleshooting/boardwork as a service. Replacement boards have been difficult/impossible to source reliably for so long it seems like even a "best-effort" basis would be acceptable to a lot of people at this point.

#314 1 year ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Truth.
    People that think SMT is harder to rework than TH just lack the experience and/or tools. Removing a SO20 with hot air is generally a lot safer (and faster) than desoldering DIP20 chip. When its really dense mask with kapton tape. I was once scared to SMT stuff too until I started doing it and its not so bad.
    It is all relative though some BGA stuff sucks though just like some Through hole designs can suck when boards are soldered together (gtb daughter board and things like that).

I grew up with through-hole and have done a fair bit of boardwork. SMD doesn't strike me as harder but I personally don't have the tools or practical experience. There's a huge community out there at this point who do and I just wonder when someone is going to set up a mail in troubleshoot/repair service to cash in on the growing population of people with dead node boards abandoned by stern.

#316 1 year ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Stern finally got back to me on my followup for the replacement rail that I've been waiting on for >1 year.
    "Part# 515-1891-00 isn’t in stock in our inventory , we have stock in one of our off sights. We are doing inventory the first of the year so it will take us a couple of weeks to get this part into our stock."
    I guess this is them telling me it will be filled soon, but I don't know why I've been waiting more than a year if it's sitting in some warehouse somewhere. Just send it!

I've been following the saga of that rail since we were first trying to figure out what was wrong with it in the maiden thread in the middle of 2021. I'm personally invested at this point and might have to throw a party whenever it finally resolves.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craif.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/parts-trouble-?tu=craif and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.