Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I find it too easy to trap on my laser cue, so I figured I'd order taller coil stops to lessen the flipper travel. Got the tallest ones they sell (A-12390), but it turns out that's what was already on it. I'm confused since I thought they didn't start using those until twilight zone, and earlier games had shorter stops... Are there any other parts that maybe have a longer plunger or something I could order or something?

#2 4 years ago

You know, I just saw something somewhere that had an adjustable coil stop on it. Wasn't a flipper, and I can't remember what game it was, but it had a bolt for adjusting the stop point on it. Might have been a VUK or something like that. The other thing is that another manufacturer may have a longer plunger that you can drive out the roll pin and swap the linkage. Have any spares/craps laying around you can measure?

I know my devil riders is a LOT harder to trap a ball on, but always attributed that to the location of the slings in relation to the flipper, or the angle of the inlane. Might be flipper related though.

-Hans

#3 4 years ago

I remember seeing the plunger rest position adjustment in an old Bally EM replay knocker.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

You know, I just saw something somewhere that had an adjustable coil stop on it. Wasn't a flipper, and I can't remember what game it was, but it had a bolt for adjusting the stop point on it.

The only place I've seen this is on the saucer kickout on a Stern Dracula. The coil stop was adjustable, which changed the kickout strength, so you could adjust where the ball landed. Very handy, but I think it wouldn't hold up to a 50V flipper pounding it constantly...

I guess maybe I could stick a nut+bolt through the hole on the other end of the mech (where the rubber stopper is) to adjust the rest position, and then angle the flippers to compensate? Still feels hacky

#5 4 years ago

Yes, that's where I saw it, saucer kickout on my Lectronamo.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The only place I've seen this is on the saucer kickout on a Stern Dracula. The coil stop was adjustable, which changed the kickout strength, so you could adjust where the ball landed. Very handy, but I think it wouldn't hold up to a 50V flipper pounding it constantly...
I guess maybe I could stick a nut+bolt through the hole on the other end of the mech (where the rubber stopper is) to adjust the rest position, and then angle the flippers to compensate? Still feels hacky

Not my personal preference, but you could "flop" the flipper bats just slightly so that when at full stroke, they don't come up so much, but it would also change shot geometry a bit. I don't think its too bad adjusted properly. They're not Gottblieb insta-trap type flippers at least.

#7 4 years ago

Remove the wire between the right flippers, that will prevent traps quickly.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Remove the wire between the right flippers, that will prevent traps quickly.

Already did, but you can still stage flip to prevent drains.

Quoted from FatPanda:

Not my personal preference, but you could "flop" the flipper bats just slightly so that when at full stroke, they don't come up so much, but it would also change shot geometry a bit. I don't think its too bad adjusted properly. They're not Gottblieb insta-trap type flippers at least.

Yeah, not a fan of flopped flippers

#9 4 years ago

Is there a grommet in the flipper bracket where the linkage rests?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Is there a grommet in the flipper bracket where the linkage rests?

Good point! There isn't currently (which I think is correct for this era?) but adding one could definitely help make them shallower

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Good point! There isn't currently (which I think is correct for this era?) but adding one could definitely help make them shallower

Here's a post on the LC club thread about the grommets:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-cue-club-clothing-optional#post-4980400

#12 4 years ago

Thats definitely as least partly wrong as mine had removable coil stops. Weird.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Thats definitely as least partly wrong as mine had removable coil stops. Weird.

Yeah, mine did too. But maybe at some point in production, the bracket was changed?

#14 4 years ago

Williams was experimenting with different flipper stops around that time. There's an article/series of articles in Gameroom magazine about it.

Personally I just go with the WPC style mechs, and you can change the plungers/links/stops as you see fit to tune the flipper where you like it.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Williams was experimenting with different flipper stops around that time. There's an article/series of articles in Gameroom magazine about it.
Personally I just go with the WPC style mechs, and you can change the plungers/links/stops as you see fit to tune the flipper where you like it.

This seems to be a WPC style mech? Looks the same... There's not really any difference once they went to the modern base plate right? I don't know what parts could 'tune' this more in the direction I want though

#16 4 years ago

Different plungers, mostly. You'd have to attach the links yourself. Marcospec is where I get odd sizes of plungers (I was lucky several years ago to find some gottlieb equivalent to classic stern flipper plungers, before those were remade, for $2.00 each).

Getting some kind of longer flipper link in there might work too, effectively lengthening the plunger/shortening the flipper throw. And perhaps some judicious bending of the end plate like used to be recommended when people didn't realize you could put different coil stop in there (only bend it in towards the coil instead of out).

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Different plungers, mostly. You'd have to attach the links yourself. Marcospec is where I get odd sizes of plungers (I was lucky several years ago to find some gottlieb equivalent to classic stern flipper plungers, before those were remade, for $2.00 each).
Getting some kind of longer flipper link in there might work too, effectively lengthening the plunger/shortening the flipper throw. And perhaps some judicious bending of the end plate like used to be recommended when people didn't realize you could put different coil stop in there (only bend it in towards the coil instead of out).

Do you know the part numbers for any of those plungers? For all I know, the rebuild parts I got might have the wrong length too... I wasn't aware of any changes in plunger length except for Pin2k

#18 4 years ago

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5349-01

Might work if it's the right diameter and longer. Measure and kind of look around. If you mix and match parts you should get something that works.

You can probably thread a nut and bolt through where the rubber stopper sits to really adjust the at rest position and just use the existing plunger, instead of bending that area.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/parts-to-make-laser-cue-flipper-shallower- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.