Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pintucky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Where do you guys typically order your electronic components from? Say like fuse kits, resistors, capacitors etc.

Waay back in the day when I used to repair stereos the place I worked at used MCM electronics. I found their website and was looking around but was curious what else might be out there...

#2 11 years ago
    #3 11 years ago

mouser
    digikey

#4 11 years ago

For pinball related electronic parts, Big Daddy and Great Plains Electronics are great. There is also Mouser, Digi-key, Jameco Electronics, MCM Electronics, and Parts Express.

#5 11 years ago

Cool! I'm digging around on Great Plains right now seems like a good place

#6 11 years ago

Quick question as I was just looking up stuff on digikey and would like to try these links.

Does anyone know what's up with the pin amount on ICs? I'm reading my schematics and looking at a 74ls244, on my machine it is an 8 pin, on Great plains or anywhere else it's a 20pin.

Then I look at a 74ls273 which on mine is a 16 pin, this is again a 20 pin on the site.

Am I missing something obvious? I've never dealt with this stuff before so it's new to me.
    Thanks!

#7 11 years ago

I ordered a ton of various fuses and other electronic stuff for pins to keep on hand. I really hate having to go to radio shack and buy a 5 dollar fuse.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from planters49:

I ordered a ton of various fuses and other electronic stuff for pins to keep on hand. I really hate having to go to radio shack and buy a 5 dollar fuse.

Yea man I been there before ... I'm trying to build my stock of common stuff (fuses etc) right now so I definitely needed an alternative to radio shack. RS is basically a cel phone store these days anyway...

#9 11 years ago

For some reason when I saw the title I thought about car parts...

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from pindevil:

For some reason when I saw the title I thought about car parts...

You must have thought you were on the CARside forums

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Am I missing something obvious? I've never dealt with this stuff before so it's new to me.

I may be reading this wrong, but I think you just cut them down to the number of pins you need.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from dnhayden:

I may be reading this wrong, but I think you just cut them down to the number of pins you need.

Really? ICs are cuttable? I'd be interested if anyone else could chime in. Seems a weird thing to "cut," but hey it's all french to me.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Quick question as I was just looking up stuff on digikey and would like to try these links.
    Does anyone know what's up with the pin amount on ICs? I'm reading my schematics and looking at a 74ls244, on my machine it is an 8 pin, on Great plains or anywhere else it's a 20pin.
    Then I look at a 74ls273 which on mine is a 16 pin, this is again a 20 pin on the site.
    Thanks!

You are mistaken. Perhaps you are misreading the schematic?

74ls244 is a 20 pin IC, as is 74ls273

Look at the datasheets.

Where are you getting the idea they are 16 and 8 pins?

#14 11 years ago

Hmmm...perhaps I am. Maybe the reason I'm confused is I'm not actually looking at the physical chip, but the schematics and reading them wrong? in the pages it's showing me the are 4 "lines" coming off each side of the chip going to other various locations. I used my high IQ *cough* and obviously knew each line was coming out of a pinhead...which is probably completely wrong isn't it?
    I hope it is...I'll trade in being dumb for ending my suffering

#15 11 years ago

Disregard my post. For some reason I thought you were talking about header pins. I apologize for any confusion

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from dnhayden:

Disregard my post. For some reason I thought you were talking about header pins. I apologize for any confusion

No worries...it generated some buzz helping me get to my goal

#17 11 years ago

Ed at Great Plains.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/parts-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.