Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MTPPC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What to do with machines that have MAJOR issues”

• Sell them as projects 24 votes
      45%
    • Part them out yourself 7 votes
      13%
    • Sell them as parts machines 4 votes
      8%
    • Fix them up regardless of cost 18 votes
      34%

(53 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0565.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Next topic that I am kind of torn on is what to do with 15 to 20 machines I have sitting in storage that really are not nice enough to fix up for my collection or for resale. As I see it I have 3 choices, spend more money & time on them then they are worth, sell them "as is" and take a loss on them, or part them out helping other machines live on.

My storage rent is almost $100 a month and I am a few weeks away from having pretty all the machines pulled for myself I want so at this point these have to go. Now I am trying to figure out what is the best move with them.

Mostly are earlier SS stuff with either worn playfields, bad backglass, or cabinet issues. We do all our board work and repairs in house so I never junk or dump a machine that just needs board work regardless of how bad boards are but once you start talking about playfield swap or buying backglasses for $400 to $750 machines it just isn't worth the time or money to me.

How does everyone else handle these machines?

#2 11 years ago

I just sell them as is and never look back.

No sense paying for storage, that makes them worth less every month.

If they get stolen or flooded, I'd be out completely (homeowners insurance does not cover stuff in commercial storage, nor do they cover flooding).

Parting them out takes forever, my time is worth more than the headache.

#3 11 years ago

Take a pic, stick a price on it, and sell it right here as one lot. Bam. Done, spend your time on things that actually make you money.

#4 11 years ago

I make it a point to fix it up regardless of price. If you part it out or sell it as a potetial part out, that is one less machine that will ever exist.

#5 11 years ago

Sell as is. I buy games like that.

#6 11 years ago

There may be something that interests me as well but since you do not disclose your location I have no idea if it is even worth thinking about.

#7 11 years ago

I see all sides of this coin. If no one ever parts machines out there would not be parts to fix other machines yet I really hate parting stuff out that someone else might want to take the effort to fix. I am in central PA just south of Harrisburg and last Fall I tried listing machines on Craig's List, Mr Pinball, and RGP --- one at a time and as a lot and basically got ZERO response.

When I am looking for parts or project machines for under $250 I can never find anything to buy and yet when I list these machines for $200 to $300 I get no replies to the listings. Most are worth $400 to $550 in parts (I know because I have already parted out a few).

Yes parting them out takes time but at least by parting them out it helps other machines live on. My problem at this point is I have already done all the real nasty stuff and every time I go to storage to grab the next machine to part out I have a hard time picking one bad enough to say "OK this one isn't worth fixing" yet I can't sell them as is for 1/2 of what the parts are worth.

If I keep paying storage now that I don't need it for other stuff I am wasting money, if I part them out I feel guilty, and yet I can't sell them for less than I have invested in them. Boy do I hate caring about these machines!

#8 11 years ago

Everybody's skillset and resource level is different. What may seem as an un-restorable machine may be exactly what someone else is looking for. I, personally, have never parted out a game and I've brought back to life many that have been considered trash by others.

95% of our machines came through the door as a project I bought depending on what I wanted to do next. Sometimes it's a playfield restore and clear, other times it's a cabinet re-spray. If I feel like making a backglass, I buy one with a thrashed glass. I don't spend too much money on them, just time. Restoring them is the part of this hobby I really love so the time is well spent in my eyes.

Put them up for sale as projects, mention what you have in to them, you might just get your money back and the game will live on.

Art.

#9 11 years ago

And to answer the next question machines are stuff like Mr & Mrs Pac-Man, Jungle Lord, Hot Tip, Rock On, Panthera, Cleopatra, Firepower, Raven, Tri Zone, etc.

Most have either badly worn playfields, bad backglass, or both as well as being "as-purchased" so they have never even been plugged in and tried.

I have an average of about $265 invested in each before I figure 6 months of storage cost at about $3 per machine per month. So I have just under $300 invested in each.

Kind of a long story as to why I have so much invested but to keep it simple I figure pretty much any SS machine is worth at least $300 in parts so I normally buy pretty much anything I can under that price if fuel cost isn't going to kill the deal.

#10 11 years ago

Sell the as-is to someone who wants to give them the TLC.
    There is not enough money in parting games. You are working too hard for too little money and there is so much waste.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#12 11 years ago

Sell them - someone out there is looking for a project I'm sure

#13 11 years ago

Sell as projects. If I had room I would buy them myself.

#14 11 years ago

Like they said,location is important.There are one or two of those I would grab in an instant if I were closer.Jungle Lord is a great game,obviously so is Firepower.I love really messed up project games.Fixing them and restoring them is where all the fun is for me.

#15 11 years ago

I'd love some inexpensive early SS projects, been looking for a few to put on route in the future.
    location?

#16 11 years ago

Location is listed above as well as a partial game list. But just to post location again we are in Central PA just south of Harrisburg off I-81.

If anyone close by wants more info just let me know. Nothing is going to happen with these over the next few days but I want to try to be out of that storage unit by May 1st so I am not tempted to buy more stuff at Allentown show in a few weeks.

Storage is a slippery slope - once you start renting you end up wanting to keep it full so it is worth the price of the rent. A half full storage unit doubles the cost per machine per month for storage. So now that I got a good many machines out of the unit I hate to fill it up again.

Thanks and keep voting I love to see what others think.

As far as parting out machines I have done more than I want to talk about - I know how much work it is - but I love getting parts to people who can really use them. Normally I just part out donor machines once I have everything off them I need but now all of that is finished and I have these machines sitting basically untouched since I bought them and they are next.

#17 11 years ago

If you have the means to bring them to the Allentown show, how about bringing them there to sell in the flea market area? It's only a few weeks away..

#18 11 years ago

I would suggest, sell them as is. Get what you can out of the ones you do not want. Other people will want them.

#19 11 years ago

If it was something I wanted, I'd fix it, even if that means I need a tech to fix it up.

#20 11 years ago

I don't part machines anymore. Parted too many. Sell as-is to someone who will get it going and save it, or do it myself.

Last I checked, Williams, Bally, Gottlieb, Data East, Zaccaria and Game Plan aren't making any more pins.

Plenty of things I've done for enjoyment in my life didn't make financial sense. It's OK, the enjoyment is priceless!

If you are out of room, send it to a friends house, or put it in the game room at a local boys club or something.

Not every pin has to be concours perfect to be enjoyed.

#21 11 years ago

I am toying with bringing some of them to Allentown but if they didn't sell and I bought something I wouldn't have space to get everything home.

To me it really doesn't matter about getting rid of all of them quickly I was more interested in how others felt about parting out machines that would be players machines at best once done.

I have a few machines with trashed playfields like Silverball Mania, High Speed, and Space Shuttle that I can justify playfield swaps on but something like a Hot Tip or Cleopatra is very hard to talk myself into investing a lot of time or money into those type titles. Just was wondering what the rest of you do with machines like that.

Thanks guys! And if anyone happens to be interested in parts or project machines and is coming through Central PA (just off I-81) feel free to drop me an email if you want to stop by and check any of them out.

#22 11 years ago

Some of us 'financially challenged' folks love projects and less desirable pins, that way we have something to work on and play when done!

#23 11 years ago

Give some away. Sell some. Part a couple out. Keep a couple that you may actually feel like restoring someday.

#24 11 years ago

I know when I started out I would have taken a pin that was more barewood than paint on the playfield and a mismatched (or no) back glass. All I wanted was a pin I could play at home.

Those early beater games a great way to start out. I am glad my first few pins were rough. I did some really dumb things and a game that is worth very little and is already beat lets you do that without feeling bad or scaring you off from the hobby.

The OP brings up an interesting phenomenon. You can't ever find a beater pin when you want one, but they never seem to be listed for sale and when you do list one for sale no one will "bite".

#25 11 years ago

Sell as-is to get them off your mind and stop paying rent.
    If you don't have time to fix them, you probably won't have the time and motivation to part them out. And if they're that rough, they're probably not worth trying to restore them all yourself.

#26 11 years ago

This is bullshit. If you part out 20 machines, you might actually save 2. People will buy rare parts for spares, and people will buy parts they need from you cheaper but could get elsewhere, and people will buy better condition parts than what they have, and people will buy parts they need that won't affect gameplay. You get my point I think.

If it helps you sleep better at night, believe what you want. When you part a game out, you aren't saving anything.

Quoted from too-many-pins:

or part them out helping other machines live on.

Quoted from too-many-pins:

Yes parting them out takes time but at least by parting them out it helps other machines live on.

#27 11 years ago

Just the kind of projects I look for. If I were closer I would definitely take a few off your hands. I hate to see good player machines parted out to help one "quality resto" become complete.

#28 11 years ago

I've never parted one out, I've always believed in allowing them to be saved. The key is not picking up to many projects, otherwise instead of looking at one long term realistic project, you are looking at many that equate to a headache and realization that you're never going to get to it all.

Everyone should have pins to play, and one project to work on at a time. I'm sure I'm not the first to learn this lesson the hard way.

#29 11 years ago

List them all, whatever doesn't sell or can be easily be restored to players condition, part out. Everyone here seems to want them saved, so post a list and let them take them off your hands. Whatever they don't take is probably is too far gone. You are too far for me, but I'm always up for an obscure title.

#30 11 years ago

I have never parted one out, I have saved a few, I even saved a parted out game, all that was there was the cabinet and most of the playfield, no boards or glass at all. Anyway I saved it, played it and then sold it for what I had in it.

#31 11 years ago

Nice to see so many guys are into saving this stuff. I have already parted out over a dozen machines so I know the work involved but up to this point everything I have parted HAD to be parted. Flood machines, parts machines I bought with 50% missing already, stuff dropped off trucks, machines I made one decent out of two junkers, playfields I got with bulk purchases, etc. But now I am done with most of that stuff and most of these machines could be saved with some effort so I hate to part them.

Anyway - thanks for all the input! Now I just have to find a few people close enough to home interested in projects. Of the 18 or so machines I'll likely try to save about 1/2 myself but I already have over a dozen project machines that have to come first. But I'll still have plenty for sale if anyone close by is looking for a project or two in the next few weeks.

#32 11 years ago

i don't suppose there are any em's stashed away in there?

#33 11 years ago

Most of the EM stuff has been fixed or parted out already. I love working on EM machines so they normally get fixed up the quickest even though they normally are the most work to fix.

I do have a very clean (or at least fairly clean) Chicago Coin Showtime that needs all 16 score reels cleaned up but is otherwise pretty well done. And one other Bally EM that is missing a backglass but that is about it for EM's right now.

6 months later
    #34 10 years ago

About 6 months later and I was just looking at some of my old post and figured I would update this one.

I am happy to say I am finally out of that storage unit as of about a week ago. 19 of 28 machines were sold as projects or fixed up and sold, 7 machines made it home with me to do something with down the road (fix or part out) and two machines were parted out because they were just too far gone to consider saving.

When I originally put this post up I had about 20 machines but somehow a few more slipped in to the mix over the past 6 months. Now I am happy - that storage unit is finally history after about a year. Originally I rented it planning on being out in just a few months so I am a little behind but it was still worth it in the end.

Basement & garage are full but the pinball storage unit is now gone. So at least one thing I set out to accomplish in 2013 is finally behind me.

#35 10 years ago

Woohoo! Whatever happened to Fire!?

#36 10 years ago

i part them out. if i can have a nice piece of wall art and a ton of extra parts for $100 its well worth it for me.

#37 10 years ago

Carl_694,

FIRE is still sitting in the garage waiting for us to find time to get to it. Right now we have about 10 System 11 machines just sitting and waiting for us to find time to bring them back to life. We have the pair of Fire machines (your & the other one), a pair of Pin-Bots, a pair of F-14's plus 4 or 5 other System 11's stashed as Winter projects. So the next few months we will be hitting System 11 machines hard after we finish up with 5 or 6 Gottlieb System 80's in the works right now.

Later,
    Skip

#38 10 years ago

That sounds awesome Skip. I've been looking around recently for another restoration project after I did my Laser War. I'm in Central NJ, would you still be interested in possibly selling one of those beaters? I'm more of an electronics guy, I am in the same boat as far as debugging/not replacing boards as well, I've got all the gear to probe and scope and that's my favorite part of the process. I am admittedly not so great at the playfield restoration process, and I lack a lot of the tools for doing it correctly (and probably the patience too!), but I'm learning and would love to give it another shot.

#39 10 years ago

How much to take the F14's, or at least one, off your hands pre-projecting them?

#40 10 years ago

I found out about 10 machines from 2 different owners that went to the dump less than 3 years ago. I wouldn't spend a lot of time thinking about it. Price them low and get rid of them. Not every Cleopatra needs to be "saved". You should be able to get a hundred bucks for a carcass that can be built into a pinball simulator.

I had a bunch of folks on byoac light into me for stripping a stern galaxy to build my simulator, but they were all wrong. I found a great deal on a Seawitch that I used a bunch of the parts on and sold it at a tidy profit. Right around the same time I stripped my Galaxy, I found a nice looking player for $400. I use my Galaxy VP simulator almost every day and nothing beats having an entire rack of a-listers sitting in my den that I could never play without travelling a thousand miles.

The only thing that really matters are your own economics and values as a collector/hobbyist. I saw you weren't looking for offers, but I haven't seen anyone step up and try to take the whole unit off your hands.

IMAG0565.jpgIMAG0565.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/parting-out-machines-vs-fixing-machines-that-are-rough-overall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.