Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2B7130F7-75FB-45A5-B141-0588AE6E5B9F (resized).jpeg
F4E17D84-4434-43EE-8F00-8BDDB5E94C0C (resized).jpeg
#1 12 months ago

So… I’ve been working with this machine for about a week now. Best guess, it sat for years until I got it. Slowly making progress while waiting for a copy of the manual. I’m anxious to see those relay mappings.

Here are the current symptoms… any obvious insight?

Replay button does decrement the credit wheel. Does turn off game over light. Dies reset score to 0. Does not add balls. Does not power the playfield. I can get a game playing by manually activating the coin and game relays.

Outhole switch does run the score motor. Does not decrement ball count. Does not activate the outhole coil to eject the ball.

Ball count unit does light up 1-5 with manual actuation of the coils. Continuity check suggests all contacts ok. Mechanism moves freely.

In a power off state (unplugged) some of the switches on the coin and game relays have continuity, even when open. (Sorry, I don’t have the switch names until I get the book) without the switch names, I can’t figure if that is normal or a short in the wiring.

From what I can see, the coin relay is wired to be self holding. It does not.

Visual check suggests all switches are set correctly. N.O. / N.C. / M.B.

Obviously, I’m missing something. Maybe it will be obvious when the book shows up in a few days…. Until then. Any thoughts?

#2 12 months ago

The hold circuit for the coin relay is for:
3 ball score motor cam 3 switch C normally closed switch.
5 ball score motor cam 5 switch B normally closed switch.
Check the 3-5 ball adjustment pin that it’s seated properly.
Clean and adjust switches if needed.

#3 12 months ago

Thank you.

I checked all of those - all verified ok with continuity on multi-meter

Magnetic check (screwdriver) on action end of the coin coil shows decent force. It opens at expected times with the score motor.

#4 11 months ago

Check these 5 switches for proper operation.
Score motor impulse cam switch A normally open bottom switch in the stack.
On the game relay find the make/break switch with the black-white & grey-black wires.
On the outhole relay find the normally open switch with the yellow & orange-white wires.
On the game over relay find the normally closed switch when relay is in its latched position with the BLU-Y-W & red wires.
Score motor cam 5 switch C normally closed switch with the R-Brown wire.
Inspect, clean and adjust switches if needed.

#5 11 months ago

pinballdaveh

big thanks for the guidance!

the game relay M/B switch B (B-W to G-B) measures 0.01 ohm when closed and 9-10 ohm when open.

the game over relay switch B (R to BLU-Y-W) measure 0.01 ohm when closed and 28-30 ohm when open.

other checkpoints measure as expected...

does this suggest a wiring short? coil shorted?

#6 11 months ago

Bumping up…

After trying a number of different things… it seems like the trip coil on the game relay never activates. I can manually actuate it (moves smooth enough).

I added pictures of game and game over for your interest

When I have the game and game over relays in the “trip” position, the relay button works. (Makes sense to me)

The ball count unit measures ok (to best of my ability). Both game relay match measures 0.01 on at 0 end 14 ohms at 1+. Game over trip relay measures 0.01 at 0 and 10 ohm at 1+

Any new thoughts?

2B7130F7-75FB-45A5-B141-0588AE6E5B9F (resized).jpeg2B7130F7-75FB-45A5-B141-0588AE6E5B9F (resized).jpegF4E17D84-4434-43EE-8F00-8BDDB5E94C0C (resized).jpegF4E17D84-4434-43EE-8F00-8BDDB5E94C0C (resized).jpeg
#7 11 months ago

Does the game relay try to re-latch during the reset sequence?

#8 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Does the game relay try to re-latch during the reset sequence?

If I manually trip the game relay, the replay button works (mostly… doesn’t add balls)

If I don’t manually trip the game relay, the replay button doesn’t work.

I think these are expected behaviors (other than the trip not working!)

#9 11 months ago

interim update...

Ball Release - issue tied back to score motor switch 4A. The issue was timing of the outhole relay hold circuit. Was hard for me to find because the outhole relay was closing, but opening before score motor 4 came around. The switch visually appeared connected, but just barely open. quick adjust of the leaf and in business! ball release is now functioning.

Trip functions on Game and Game Over relays are wonky... work a few times then seize. Given the visual condition, probably just the condition of the hardware.

at this point, the game plays as a single ball game! some success.

Next up... why doesn't the ball count step-up work at game start.

#10 11 months ago

The coin relay may not be holding in long enough or releasing right away.
For 3 ball play check score motor cam 3 switch C.
For 5 ball play check score motor cam 5 switch B.
If you manually hold in the coin relay, does the ball count unit advance when the score motor runs?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/partially-functioning-1970-williams-straight-flush and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.