Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DocRotCod
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bad Clocks (resized).png
    32KHz Clock Signal (resized).png
    twoBits_rtcSignal_U9-pin70 (resized).jpg
    A12742_rtcSignal_U9-pin70 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4642 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4642 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Pin-GuyR93 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1658_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1666_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1716_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1706_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1705_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1704_(resized).JPG
    There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Anyone have any experience with TwoBits WPC MPU's and/or has anyone bought and populated one of these from eBay? Looks like a fun project and for about $110 total (board, needed components, shipping) you would end up with nice working MPU.

ebay.com link: Williams WPC MPU brand new old stock partially assembled circuit boards

#2 7 years ago

I have a little bit...and it was around $110 which is not bad for a new CPU board; it really was a fun project. There were two minor issues with the board, first the LED spacing was too close together to for the standard sized LED's but it's workable; I just put the center one (D20) in last and it rests atop the other two, it's barely noticeable unless you are looking for it. The second problem is the spacing of the thru holes is not right for the resistor that sits next to J201, it will fit, but a resistor with a smaller footprint might look better. Like I said, both of these issues are minor and do not effect it in anyway. Did some bench testing after assembly, but this was un-necessary as the board booted right up and works great.

IMG_1704_(resized).JPGIMG_1704_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1705_(resized).JPGIMG_1705_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1706_(resized).JPGIMG_1706_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1716_(resized).JPGIMG_1716_(resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

I actually didn't start with a partially assembled board, but purchased the one that was completely blank for $55. ebay.com link: like

I believe this spreadsheet contains the complete parts list (minus the ASIC, CPU, and ROM) I couldn't just use the original Mouser shopping list for this project as it had items for several other projects and I also didn't purchase components that I knew I had; I basically went back and added the missing things I didn't buy, and removed the stuff that wasn't for this project because of this, there may be some errors.

If anyone uses this parts list and/or verifies all the components and finds any errors, please PM me so I know, and can update the spreadsheet. I will post any changes at the end of this post.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C4znEqZd4K4eywhi__qDwI-3AsX6Y5qdw9Pzb0p178A/edit?usp=sharing

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I have a little bit...and it was around $110 which is not bad for a new CPU board; it really was a fun project. There were two minor issues with the board, first the LED spacing was too close together to for the standard sized LED's but it's workable; I just put the center one (D20) in last and it rests atop the other two, it's barely noticeable unless you are looking for it. The second problem is the spacing of the thru holes is not right for the resistor that sits next to J201, it will fit, but a resistor with a smaller footprint might look better. Like I said, both of these issues are minor and do not effect it in anyway. Did some bench testing after assembly, but this was un-necessary as the board booted right up and works great.

Very cool - thanks for the feedback! The board on eBay comes pre-populated with a small resistor (R96) next to J201 so no issue there and the LED spacing seems manageable as well. It think I might even have some on those smaller package LED's laying around from another project. Thank also for the detailed parts list - awesome

#5 7 years ago

Always happy to help out, I was actually planning on doing a post for this but got distracted with other things; so thanks for making the post. Obviously you will want to start with the smaller parts like the diodes, resistors, and capacitors; then move on to the taller components, this will make assembly easier.

IMG_1666_(resized).JPGIMG_1666_(resized).JPG

You will also want to have the right soldering tip for the job, I used a 1/64" angled tip for the entire assembly.

IMG_1658_(resized).JPGIMG_1658_(resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

I've been considering building one as well. The $110 in parts must not include the ASIC right? I thought I saw someone was selling the entire batch of components as well but I can't find it. I guess it's not that difficult to add the parts to a cart.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I believe this is the complete parts list (minus the ASIC, CPU, and ROM) If anyone uses this parts list and/or verifies all the components and finds any errors, please PM me so I know and can update it.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C4znEqZd4K4eywhi__qDwI-3AsX6Y5qdw9Pzb0p178A/edit?usp=sharing
    Edit: Standard memory added

So in the auction it shows a bunch of resistors and caps installed... I take it that these are in that list and would not need to be ordered, i.e. that is a list to populate a completely bare PCB?

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

So in the auction it shows a bunch of resistors and caps installed... I take it that these are in that list and would not need to be ordered, i.e. that is a list to populate a completely bare PCB?

Yes, this is the list if starting with a blank PCB.

ebay.com link: like

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I've been considering building one as well. The $110 in parts must not include the ASIC right?

Correct, you will need your own MC6809 CPU, ASIC, and ROM chips.

ASIC:
    http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-5410-12426-01 $60

or for $40

ebay.com link: Williams WPC MPU CPU ASIC Microprocessor 5410 12426 01

CPU:
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=mc6809 $8.95

#10 7 years ago

Isn't replacement MPU's only a little more expensive? Is it time spent soldering these in(*) worth the little aount saved?

(*) - I'm surprised, Pin_Guy, that you didn't use sockets on ALL chips.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Isn't replacement MPU's only a little more expensive? Is it time spent soldering these in(*) worth the little aount saved?

Rottendog MPUs go for about $180 *without* the ASIC chip.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Rottendog MPUs go for about $180 *without* the ASIC chip.

Okay, so about $100 in labor. That's not too bad, doing it yourself, then.

Edit: Less, I forgot the cost of the other parts - but still, not that expensive.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, so about $100 in labor. That's not too bad, doing it yourself, then.
    Edit: Less, I forgot the cost of the other parts - but still, not that expensive.

Most of the difficult and tedious stuff already seems to have been done. Throw in some resistors and other components, IC sockets, headers, and you're basically done.

#14 7 years ago

The LEDs used on these boards ARE actually a standard sized part.

"Standard" LEDs are 5mm whilst these use the smaller 3mm LEDs.

They are a very standard part and easily available.

For those that like the repair and electronics side of pinball this is an excellent project and well worth the time and effort IMO. It's not about saving money but it's a great learning exercise and the satisfaction of seeing something come to life that you built from a bunch of parts just can't be beat!

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

It's true, the price difference between a pre-assembled board and building it is not so great, but then I would miss out on all the fun building it myself. I just worked on it during my spare time ... an hour here an hour there until it was finished.

I thought about installing sockets for all the chips and decided against it for a couple reasons. I have to right equipment to pull chips from the board intact, and also by direct solder them, I'm able to inspect all the solder joints. I found this to be more beneficial than having the ability to snap in replacements.

Edit: this post was edited for clarity and grammer

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I thought about it installing sockets for all the chips and decided against it since I have to right equipment to pull chips from the board intact, I opted to direct solder them so I can inspect all the solder joints.

As a general practice, whenever I install chips, they always get socketed. Saves time later when/if a problem pops up. Plus, you don't have to heat the board multiple times and adding and removing components.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

As a general practice, whenever I install chips, they always get socketed. Saves time later when/if a problem pops up.

most folks do prefer that, the beauty of building a spare board is I get to swap it in and work on the bad one at my leisure; plus I enjoy soldering and working on the boards and am under no time constraints

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I would not use sockets for anything but ASIC, ROM, RAM and 2803 at time of initial assembly. Sockets = potential for future connection problems. Perhaps at time of future replacements if parts fail, then they should be socketed.

I've actually moved away from sockets in some of my repairs. WMS 3-7 boards, I no longer socket anything under 22 pins unless the board has had previous rework and has questionable traces. The original traces are robust enough that they can be desoldered and resoldered many times. Sys9 and later, I use sockets on nearly every IC, with few exceptions.

If I were building one of these, I'd prefer to buy one of the ones Mr. Pinball Australia sells, because it's an original board. Matches the schematic, etc. And looks original when done.

I actually have prototype WMS CPU blanks (red) for WPC-S and WPC-95 CPUs. I've kicked around building them out, but I think I'm going to leave them as-is to admire them. Maybe a shadow box sort of wall hanging display to put in my gameroom. Also have WPC-89 DMD controller and Fliptronics 2 board to match - never could get a sound or driver board to match). I have a NOS proto WPC-89 CPU that was built but didn't work to go with them. I fixed it (prototype, had a bad trace on the back side, and missing the crystal).

I considered one of these as a fun project, but until I'm caught up with customers work 100%, my own stuff continues to gather dust. I'm getting close!

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

The LEDs used on these boards ARE actually a standard sized part.
    "Standard" LEDs are 5mm whilst these use the smaller 3mm LEDs.

I dated myself when I said standard size

#20 7 years ago

always please socket the ULN2803 switch matrix chip (at minimum) when making one of these. Heck Williams even socketed that chip (starting with WPC-S and going to WPC-95). There's a reason they socketed that chip...

#21 7 years ago

I didn't mean to start a debate about the sockets, honest. IMHO, i'd socket everything - the risk of a bad connection in the socket (when using good, quality sockets) is much preferred for me over having to replace a chip. Again, that's my preference if I was making one.

Ya'll can do what you want, of course.

Is the component refs and values the same as a standard WPC board? (i.e. C1 on this board is the same as C1 on the OWM board?)

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I didn't mean to start a debate about the sockets, honest. IMHO, i'd socket everything - the risk of a bad connection in the socket (when using good, quality sockets) is much preferred for me over having to replace a chip. Again, that's my preference if I was making one.
    Ya'll can do what you want, of course.
    Is the component refs and values the same as a standard WPC board? (i.e. C1 on this board is the same as C1 on the OWM board?)

No worries, everyone is entitled their own opinions. If I was to make this board for someone, I would make it how they wanted it.

To answer your question, all of the reference designations are part-for-part compatible with the Williams board; The component layout is also very similar, not exact, but pretty darn close.

#23 7 years ago

There was a link to the BOM in the ebay listing

http://www.bobsokol.com/ebay/WPC/WPC2A_1.txt

TWOBITS.COM
    4418 PACK SADDLE PASS
    AUSTIN TX 78745
    512-447-8888
    [email protected]
    HTTP://WWW.TWOBITS.COM
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WPC MPU BOARD BILL OF MATERIALS
    WPC2A_1.PCB Bill of Material Summary
    DESCRIPTION QUAN. COMPONENT DESIGNATOR(S)
    ----- ALL RESISTORS 1/4W UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED

ZERO OHM JUMPER 9 W1,W4,W7,W13,W14,W15,W16,W17
    W18

470 OHM 9 R5,R6,R7,R8,R12,R13,R87,R88
    R89

1K 25 R43,R44,R45,R46,R47,R48,R49,R50
    R51,R53,R55,R57,R59,R61,R63,R65
    R67,R68,R69,R70,R71,R72,R73,R74
    R84

1.2K 16 R52,R54,R56,R58,R60,R62,R64,R66
    R75,R77,R78,R79,R80,R82

1.5K 6 R1,R2,R3,R4,R93,R97

1.5K 1/8 WATT 1 R96

10K 29 R14,R15,R16,R17,R18,R19,R20,R21,R22
    R27,R28,R29,R30,R31,R32,R33,R34,R35
    R36,R3,R38,R39,R40,R41,R42,R86,R90
    R94,R98

470K 1 R92

1M 2 R95,R99

2.2M 1 R91

4.7K x 9 BUS RES NET 1 SIP1

----- ALL CAPACITORS AXIAL LEADS, X7R OR Z5U UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED

22pF AX CONF 4 C2,C29,C30,C34

100pF AX CONF 1 C28

470pF AX CONF 24 C3,C4,C5,C6,C7,C8,C9,C10,C11,C12,C13
    C14,C15,C16,C17,C18,C19,C20,C21,C22
    C23,C24,C25,C26

1000pF AX CONF 2 C32,C33

.022uF AX CONF 1 C50

.047uF AX CONF 1 C27

.1uF AX CONF BYP CAP 16 B1,B2,B3,B4,B,B6,B7,B8,B9,B10,B11,B12
    B13,B14,B15,B16

100uF 16V AX AL ELEC 1 C31

FILTER CHOKE 4.7uH 1 L1

32.768KHz FORK XTAL 1 X1

8MHz CRYSTAL 1 X2

1N4148 DIODE 17 D2,D3,D4,D5,D6,D7,D8,D9,D10,D11,D12
    D13,D14,D15,D16,D17,D18

1N5817 DIODE 2 D1,D25

RED LED, T1 (3mm) 3 D19,D20,D21

2N3904 NPN BIP TRANS 1 Q1

SN74LS244N 3-ST DVR 3 U1,U2,U7

SN74LS245N OCT BUS XCV 1 U3

68B09EP PROCESSOR 1 U4

SN74LS14N HEX SCH TRG 1 U5

GAME ROM, 27C040 1 U6

M48Z58Y-70PC1 ZPRAM 1 U8

WPC CUST 5410-12426-01 1 U9

MC34064 SUPERVISOR 1 U10

SN74LS240N OCT INV DVR 4 U11,U12,U13,U15

SN74LS374N OCT LATCH 1 U14

LM339N QUAD COMPAR 4 U16,U17,U18,U19

ULN2803 8-CH DARL DVR 1 U20

MC14584BCP HEX SCH TGR 1 U21

40-PIN LP SOCKET 1 U4A

32-PIN LP SOCKET 1 U6A

28-PIN LP SOCKET 1 U8A

84-PIN PLCC SOCKET 1 U9A

14-PIN LP SOCKET 4 U16A,U17A,U18A,U19A

18-PIN LP SOCKET 1 U20A

26-PIN .100 DUAL HEA 2 J201,J204

34-PIN .100 DUAL HEA 2 J202,J211

-----ALL HEADERS FRICTION LOCK TYPE

12-PIN SER KK .100 HDR 1 J205

9-PIN SER KK .100 HDR 4 J206,J207,J208,J209

7-PIN SERIES KK .156 1 J210

8-PIN SER KK .100 HDR 1 J212

TRIPLE AA BATT HOLDR 1 BP1

MOUNTING HDW FOR X2 1 ---- USE MOUSER PART NO. 749-CI-192-050-3

===================================================================================
    PARTS NOT USED
    --------------
    NO PART ON ORIG PCB 1 C1

3-PIN SER KK .100 HDR 1 J203

ZERO OHM JUMPERS 9 W2,W3,W5,W6,W8,W9,W10,W11,W12

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I would not use sockets for anything but ASIC, ROM, RAM and 2803 at time of initial assembly. Sockets = potential for future connection problems. Perhaps at time of future replacements if parts fail, then they should be socketed.
    I've actually moved away from sockets in some of my repairs. WMS 3-7 boards, I no longer socket anything under 22 pins unless the board has had previous rework and has questionable traces. The original traces are robust enough that they can be desoldered and resoldered many times. Sys9 and later, I use sockets on nearly every IC, with few exceptions.
    If I were building one of these, I'd prefer to buy one of the ones Mr. Pinball Australia sells, because it's an original board. Matches the schematic, etc. And looks original when done.
    I actually have prototype WMS CPU blanks (red) for WPC-S and WPC-95 CPUs. I've kicked around building them out, but I think I'm going to leave them as-is to admire them. Maybe a shadow box sort of wall hanging display to put in my gameroom. Also have WPC-89 DMD controller and Fliptronics 2 board to match - never could get a sound or driver board to match). I have a NOS proto WPC-89 CPU that was built but didn't work to go with them. I fixed it (prototype, had a bad trace on the back side, and missing the crystal).
    I considered one of these as a fun project, but until I'm caught up with customers work 100%, my own stuff continues to gather dust. I'm getting close!

http://provider1.cart.net.au/epages/mrpinballtrial.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/mrpinballtrial/Categories/%22Circuit%20Boards%22

Don't see anything on his site.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I didn't mean to start a debate about the sockets, honest. IMHO, i'd socket everything ...

No debate, just good to do

Quoted from cfh:

always please socket the ULN2803 switch matrix chip (at minimum) when making one of these. ...

and the two LM339 chips next to it

#28 7 years ago

i think socketing the LM339s is less of an issue. i mean sure why not, but generally the LM339's only seem to go "bad" when battery corrosion is involved (and sockets won't fix that). at least in my experience. but that ULN2803 man it's easy to smoke those. that's a *must* socket part in my mind.

i know people that have gone through 10+ of those ULN chips when trying to figure out a switch matrix issue. A friend of mind had a Twilight zone that was shorting 50 volts through a wire form and down other metal parts so that only when the ball rolled to a certain part of the playfield, the circuit will be complete, and the ULN would die. I think he said he smoked 15 of those chips trying to find that problem!

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

i think socketing the LM339s is less of an issue. i mean sure why not, but generally the LM339's only seem to go "bad" when battery corrosion is involved (and sockets won't fix that). at least in my experience. but that ULN2803 man it's easy to smoke those. that's a *must* socket part in my mind.
    i know people that have gone through 10+ of those ULN chips when trying to figure out a switch matrix issue. A friend of mind had a Twilight zone that was shorting 50 volts through a wire form and down other metal parts so that only when the ball rolled to a certain part of the playfield, the circuit will be complete, and the ULN would die. I think he said he smoked 15 of those chips trying to find that problem!

Had that EXACT same problem a few months ago. I not only blew 12 of the 2803's, but 2 of the chip farther up the line. (I socketed that the first time..) (OT, but my issue was the Gumball Diverter - lug had shorted on the bracket, which was connected via diverter to the ball lock cage, which was the connect to the right power ramp. My mini powerfield entrance switch had a loose wire and was shorting to it's holder. So when things were *just right* and the ball came off the wireform to the entrance to the mini pf, if it made contac with the metal guide, it'd short out and blow the 2803..)

Was a pain in the arse. It's why I pretty much like just socketing everything - You never know what could happen.

Another example! In one of my genius moves 7 years ago, I had both the Fliptronics and Audio board out of my TZ. Reassembled them both, and reversed the Fliptronics +50v coil volt plug with the audio board's +12/+5v plug. I sent +50v through the bus lines - it fried the audio board, display driver board, and numerous chips on the MPU board. (The two plugs are keyed *exactly* the same, and are directly opposite each other.)

So, THOSE are not socketed in my game as well. So, no matter what happens.. something will always cause you to wish you didn't have to unsolder a chip. ..Either that, or I just suck.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There was a link to the BOM in the ebay listing
    http://www.bobsokol.com/ebay/WPC/WPC2A_1.txt

Yes, that BOM is for a full build though. Here is a revised BOM for the partially assembled boards (less the MC6809 CPU, ASIC, and ROM chips). I can't guarantee its 100% accurate but I double and triple checked and think I got everything correct. I tried formatting it all different ways when pasting into this thread but nothing worked so apologies for it looking crappy. If anyone wants a Word or Excel version of the list send me a PM with email address.

Descritption QTY Component Designation
    4.7K x 9 BUS RES NET 1 SIP1

----ALL CAPACITORS AXIL LEADS, X7R OR Z5U UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
    100uF 16V AX AL ELEC 1 C31
    FILTER CHOKE 4.7uH 1 L1
    32.768KHz FORK XTAL 1 X1
    8MHz CRYSTAL 1 X2
    RED LED, T1 (3mm) 3 D19, D20, D21
    2N3904 NPN BIP TRANS 1 Q1
    SN74LS244N 3-ST DVR 3 U1, U2, U7
    SN74LS245N OCT BUS XCV 1 U3
    68B09EP PROCESSOR 1 U4
    SN74LS14N HEX SCH TRG 1 U5
    GAME ROM, 27C040 1 U6
    M48Z58Y-70PC1 ZPRAM 1 U8
    WPC CUST 5410-12426-01 1 U9
    MC34064 SUPERVISOR 1 U10
    SN74LS240N OCT INV DVR 4 U11, U12, U13, U15
    SN74LS374N OCT LATCH 1 U14
    LM339N QUAD COMPAR 4 U16, U17, U18, U19
    ULN2803 8-CH DARL DVR 1 U20
    MC14584BCP HEX SCH TGR1 U21
    26-PIN .100 DUAL HEA 2 J201,J204
    34-PIN .100 DUAL HEA 2 J202,J211

-----ALL HEADERS FRICTION LOCK TYPE---------
    12-PIN SER KK .100 HDR 1 J205
    9-PIN SER KK .100 HDR 4 J206, J207, J208, J209
    7-PIN SERIES KK .156 1 J210
    8-PIN SER KK .100 HDR 1 J212
    TRIPLE AA BATT HOLDR 1 BP1
    MOUNTING HDW FOR X2 1 ---- USE MOUSER PART NO. 749-CI-192-050-3

===================================================================================
    PARTS NOT USED
    --------------
    NO PART ON ORIG PCB 1 C1
    3-PIN SER KK .100 HDR 1 J203
    ZERO OHM JUMPERS 9 W2, W3, W5, W6, W8, W9, W10, W11, W12

Pin_Guy was also kind enough to share his Mouser shopping list for the full build

Quoted from Pin_Guy:Correct, you will need your own MC6809 CPU, ASIC, and ROM chips.
    ASIC:
    http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-5410-12426-01 $60
    or for $40
    ebay.com link » Williams Wpc Mpu Cpu Asic Microprocessor 5410 12426 01
    CPU:
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=mc6809 $8.95

#31 7 years ago

I went ahead and added ALL the IC sockets to the spreadsheet under a separate "Optional Items" category including P/N and prices from Mouser; this way people can pick and choose what they want to socket. I've also added reference designators for every part.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Looks like he may have sold out.
    He still has WPC-S
    ebay.com link » Original Wpc S Cpu Board Bare Genuine Nos Part Mr Pinball Distribution

I have all 3
    Wpc
    Wpc-s
    Wpc-95

All nos blank boards

#33 7 years ago

An updated BOM for the missing parts:

http://www.bobsokol.com/ebay/WPC/incBOM.htm

Description
    QTY
    Component Designation
    4.7K x 9 BUS RES NET
    SIP1

----ALL CAPACITORS AXIAL LEADS, X7R OR Z5U UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
    100uF 16V AX AL ELEC
    C31
    FILTER CHOKE 4.7uH
    L1
    32.768KHz FORK XTAL
    X1
    8MHz CRYSTAL
    X2
    RED LED, T1 (3mm)
    D19, D20, D21
    2N3904 NPN BIP TRANS
    Q1
    SN74LS244N 3-ST DVR
    U1, U2, U7
    SN74LS245N OCT BUS XCV
    U3
    68B09EP PROCESSOR
    U4
    SN74LS14N HEX SCH TRG
    U5
    GAME ROM, 27C040
    U6
    M48Z58Y-70PC1 ZPRAM
    U8
    WPC CUST 5410-12426-01
    U9
    MC34064 SUPERVISOR
    U10
    SN74LS240N OCT INV DVR
    U11, U12, U13, U15
    SN74LS374N OCT LATCH
    U14
    LM339N QUAD COMPAR
    U16, U17, U18, U19
    ULN2803 8-CH DARL DVR
    U20
    MC14584BCP HEX SCH TGR
    U21
    26-PIN .100 DUAL HEA
    J201,J204
    34-PIN .100 DUAL HEA
    J202,J211

-----ALL HEADERS FRICTION LOCK TYPE---------

12-PIN SER KK .100 HDR
    J205
    9-PIN SER KK .100 HDR
    J206, J207, J208, J209
    7-PIN SERIES KK .156
    J210
    8-PIN SER KK .100 HDR
    J212
    TRIPLE AA BATT HOLDR
    BP1
    MOUNTING HDW FOR X2
    ---- USE MOUSER PART NO. 749-CI-192-050-3

PARTS NOT USED

--------------

NO PART ON ORIG PCB 1

C1
    3-PIN SER KK .100 HDR 1

J203
    ZERO OHM JUMPERS 9

W2, W3, W5, W6, W8, W9, W10, W11, W12

#34 7 years ago

I really don't care for this BOM since its basically a copy of the MPU89 parts list from 1994. This BOM is useful for telling you what parts you will need ,but its more of a rough guide of what you need to buy. If you use this list as well as the Google Sheets document I linked it will make your life easier as there is an actual link to Mouser Electronics for every single part on this board.

#35 7 years ago

Forceflow, if you want to use a copy my Google sheets and trim it down to what is needed for the partial assembly, you have my permission to do so.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Forceflow, if you want to use a copy my Google sheets and trim it down to what is needed for the partial assembly, you have my permission to do so.

That would be perrrrrfect

1 week later
    #37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

In your pics i see that R93 is missing. Was this intentional and did your board boot-up without it did you add after the pics were taken?

Pin-GuyR93 (resized).PNGPin-GuyR93 (resized).PNG

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

In your pics i see that R93 is missing. Was this intentional and did your board boot-up without it did you add after the pics were taken?

I don't see it listed on the original WPC parts list. Not all components are always populated.

[edit]: It is one of the jumpers to set the RAM size:
    http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Jumpers.2C_RAM_and_ROM_size

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#39 7 years ago

R93 isn't necessary if using a 62256 for RAM.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't see it listed on the original WPC parts list. Not all components are always populated.
    [edit]: It is one of the jumpers to set the RAM size:
    http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Jumpers.2C_RAM_and_ROM_size

Quoted from Borygard:

R93 isn't necessary if using a 62256 for RAM.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

Makes sense now - thanks

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

as others mentioned, R93 is not populated with this configuration. The board booted perfectly and I use it for testing, its the test board I used in this post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-mysterious-switch-matrix

2 weeks later
    #42 7 years ago

Anyone considering this project should do it! It was a great / fun project that only took about 1.5-2 hours to finish and was great for further developing the soldering skills. Because Ed at GPE is a regular contributor here on Pinside and a good guy I bought the parts from him instead of Mouser. After I finish up my FH I'm going to tackle one of the blank boards next

Here is the finished board at work. I left the game on for about 8 hours and then played a bunch of games and no issues.

IMG_4642 (resized).jpgIMG_4642 (resized).jpg

IMG_4642 (resized).jpgIMG_4642 (resized).jpg

#43 7 years ago

Ed, would it be possible to order from you and say "I need a set of components for the partially assembled WPC89 boards" and then you ship exactly what is needed?

If so, I'm in as I think this is a fun project to tackle.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

Ed, would it be possible to order from you and say "I need a set of components for the partially assembled WPC89 boards" and then you ship exactly what is needed?

Unless I'm mistaken, there are two components (aside from the CPU, ASIC, and EPROM) that aren't on the GPE site:

FILTER CHOKE 4.7uH 1 L1
    CI-192-050-3 (Circuit Board Hardware - PCB Crystal Insultr Tabs 2-Lead Nylon White) for X2

I think everything else is available.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

if you can't come up with a part lists on and order it from GPE's website you probably are not going be able to populate the board. Effort level too low!

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

CI-192-050-3 (Circuit Board Hardware - PCB Crystal Insultr Tabs 2-Lead Nylon White) for X2

I didn't use this as the only thing the outer case can short to is ground, and if it does its going to act as a shield for the crystal so there really is no downside to not using it.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

Here is the finished board at work. I left the game on for about 8 hours and then played a bunch of games and no issues.

Thanks for posting, I'm going to manufacture another from a bare board as I already have enough components lying around to do it ... without the ASIC, ROM, and CPU chips. I recently noticed the first on I made had one of the ceramics turned the wrong way making the writing on it upside down ***gasp***

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Unless I'm mistaken, there are two components (aside from the CPU, ASIC, and EPROM) that aren't on the GPE site:
    FILTER CHOKE 4.7uH 1 L1

This is very problematic as shipping of these few items is going to be 3-4 times the cost of the parts

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

FILTER CHOKE 4.7uH 1 L1

The choke can be bypassed. I jumper it on a lot of CPUs I do alkaline repair on. The choke is available from Australia but is very expensive.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

if you can't come up with a part lists on and order it from GPE's website you probably are not going be able to populate the board. Effort level too low!

Let me dumb it down for you. It would be handy for people that are not currently customers of Ed's to be able to select a 'kit' and order it. It would also be good business sense for Ed for those wanting to order it since more and more people are starting to do these projects.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/partially-assembled-twobits-wpc-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.