Topic Stats

• 682 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ericpinballfan
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6AFE8B56-773D-41C2-9240-29913F5CC662 (resized).png
    31290C92-E2CA-43DF-A7EB-0901B4369965 (resized).jpeg
    AA6069BB-D862-48C2-A2CF-90E5174CA2BF.gif
    Screenshot_20210904-095913.jpg
    99224E27-8DA3-4452-8E1A-A08314601F85 (resized).jpeg
    zzzz !! cb0f5ed04727bfd829130cbfb9669315 (resized).jpg
    DF9C52E0-F3A7-4585-AC7B-7361FC9AAC03.gif
    2D11588A-B5D1-4818-8F79-2730623F1F16.gif
    DA44FB84-66AA-4A64-81CC-96885E4EF557.gif
    5D44BEF6-61E7-4770-9258-F108096447FB (resized).jpeg
    Liam (resized).jpg
    ED81B905-81DA-46D3-8A87-E14545ABDEAC.gif
    9C18F2D0-8FA0-4970-AFEC-037CF67BE021.gif
    B5EDD496-CF94-4D36-BC28-69CB2BA9FC8D.gif
    6999C99C-A012-4C32-B4E8-9BA073568AD5.gif
    255E949A-B7DA-4EB0-93CC-37F7B1F8145A (resized).jpeg

There are 682 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.
    #201 3 years ago

I always wondered how some people were getting games so much cheaper than most of us. Now I know.
    Glad I always dealt with reputable dealers

#202 3 years ago
    Quoted from ucsbaviator:

Thanks! So game exchange is taking deposits on Iron Maiden. Would this be legit since they are a reputable dealer?

Yes, I didn't know they were doing the deposit thing but they are highly reputable. Go with them

I suppose given the high demand right now deposits might be more popular to ensure they are locking in serious buyers.

#203 3 years ago
    Quoted from ucsbaviator:

Thanks! So game exchange is taking deposits on Iron Maiden. Would this be legit since they are a reputable dealer?

JJ at CO Game Exchange is one of the best in the business. Buy (deposit) with Confidence.

#204 3 years ago

Little Shop Of Games is also an awesome well-established distributor with a stellar reputation.

#205 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

I always wondered how some people were getting games so much cheaper than most of us. Now I know.

its always cheaper if you get an invoice but no game

#206 3 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

Little Shop Of Games is also an awesome well-established distributor with a stellar reputation.

+1 for Marshall and LSOG

#207 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Simply because he's advocating the strategy of "Take money while the guy is voluntarily giving it... because it's so difficult to collect"

I agree, always negotiate first and thoroughly. Collect what you can until the well runs dry. Filing a lawsuit should be a last resort only. But failing that, at what point do you stand up for yourself and say enough.

I’m proud of my fellow plaintiffs and our legal judgment against Jpop. We were instrumental in forcing Deeproot's hand in the Goodwill agreements that others benefit from. Some people think I'm a dope for that.

Will I ever collect a penny from Jpop? Highly unlikely. And I will add it to my file of other uncollected judgments and continue to purse him. I’m one of those guys that will throw good money after bad rather than have a reputation of all talk and no action.

#208 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dexter:

+1 for Marshall and LSOG

Eh, I must have caught them on a bad day then. I was ready to buy a game last fall. Called, was told they would check their stock...didn't get a call back for 2 weeks.
    I bought the game elsewhere in the meantime. But it sounds like I am an outlier from what I hear from other folks.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Eh, I must have caught them on a bad day then. I was ready to buy a game last fall. Called, was told they would check their stock...didn't get a call back for 2 weeks.
    I bought the game elsewhere in the meantime. But it sounds like I am an outlier from what I hear from other folks.

Jody - sorry to hear that. No excuse for not following up - but do think that is not typical.

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Hmm. So much cheaper? I purchased a NIB Beatles Gold from ASOA for $7,500 back in 2018. I think this was pretty darn close to other distributors street price IIRC. No doubt ASOA was a few bucks cheaper typically, but JD provided timely service on my 4 Stern purchases. When my Munsters Pro CPU died after 30 games (no joke) and Stern was dragging their feet on replacing it, JD sent me a new CPU from his supply so I wouldn't have to wait. On the Stern games I received, JD's support was timely/professional. That also helps explain why his Pinside reviews were so strong during this time period. If his support on my 4 Stern purchases sucked, I wouldn't have dealt with him. Support is important to me...no way I'm going to sacrifice support for a few bucks off a game!

#211 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dexter:

JJ at CO Game Exchange is one of the best in the business. Buy (deposit) with Confidence.

+1. I bought a game from them and they split the CC fee as well.

#212 3 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

I’ll buy anything from a guy naked Curly.

#213 3 years ago

I only know gossip, so thats worthless on this specific thread.

What I do know is I've had dealings in business, that have cost close to 7 figures.
    Only a small amount has been able to be recovered through litigation.

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’ll buy anything from a guy naked Curly.

Naked Curly!!! YIKES!

#215 3 years ago

With all the distributor talk going on, something I want to add, that I feel like people may be overlooking or it just hasn't been mentioned much in these recent threads is that ASOA wasn't presenting himself as much as a distributor, but as an OPERATOR, claiming to have locations across the country, employees, and thousands of games in his warehouse.

The reason I bring this up is, if this was true, it wouldn't be hard to believe that were slightly used games that he would have "in stock" to do trades and sell to people. There was a lot of wheeling and dealing and sales being made around FL with some satisfied customers. And since people are now wondering how people fell for this scam, I feel like this might explain it somewhat.

The thing that always bugged me is that we both live in Broward, which I would consider relatively underserved in terms of location pins, so I had to read this guy posting about his thousands of games, and there are like 3 working pins in the county we live in.

#216 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Naked Curly!!! YIKES!

Some spell check errors you just have to Leave.

I’m a victim of circumstance !!!

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Hmm. So much cheaper? I purchased a NIB Beatles Gold from ASOA for $7,500 back in 2018. I think this was pretty darn close to other distributors street price IIRC. No doubt ASOA was a few bucks cheaper typically, but JD provided timely service on my 4 Stern purchases. When my Munsters Pro CPU died after 30 games (no joke) and Stern was dragging their feet on replacing it, JD sent me a new CPU from his supply so I wouldn't have to wait. On the Stern games I received, JD's support was timely/professional. That also helps explain why his Pinside reviews were so strong during this time period. If his support on my 4 Stern purchases sucked, I wouldn't have dealt with him. Support is important to me...no way I'm going to sacrifice support for a few bucks off a game!

Well I can recall reading many posts in the past, of pinsiders (not you specifically) asking how are you getting games cheaper when the manufacturers assured everyone these are the prices. The responses were always, well you dont know the right people, or you need to call around or you need to do some research.
    I never believed there was much margin to spread around and just thought I guess I dont know shit. Just saying, so this is how some bought games at below manufactures prices.

#218 3 years ago

um...can someone point me out a "scammer" who pays back anything to the victims?

bait and switch? potentially...i see that with some of the transactions. but there's nothing here that a criminal court would even try.

call the DOJ...lol. ya, they'll help you. our justice system is solid, yo. call the attorney general. oh, wait...she's busy suing facebook.

this thread should honestly be between the people owed, and jonathan. not 65 people kicking a horse. we don't have enough popcorn to cover that need.

bill, good job with the original post. it caused results for many, not just you.

as far as beating MSRP, there is no MSRP when you swap a game for a game.

and this one is for jonathan...i signed up yesterday as johnpopadiuk. so yes...takes 9 seconds to make an account to speak up.

#219 3 years ago
    Quoted from youdontknowme:

um...can someone point me out a "scammer" who pays back anything to the victims?
    bait and switch? potentially...i see that with some of the transactions. but there's nothing here that a criminal court would even try.
    call the DOJ...lol. ya, they'll help you. our justice system is solid, yo. call the attorney general. oh, wait...she's busy suing facebook.
    this thread should honestly be between the people owed, and jonathan. not 65 people kicking a horse. we don't have enough popcorn to cover that need.
    bill, good job with the original post. it caused results for many, not just you.
    and this one is for jon...i signed up yesterday as john popadiuk. so yes...takes 9 seconds to make an account to speak up.
    now anxiously awaiting people to say that i must be jonathan.

, its was very clear all this was going on when he first hit the scene and pre covid, IF at any point a non existent game was sold, it's a scam bro. He's paying people back because he's a scared little punk and it's the BEST thing he can do to not go down for fruad

#220 3 years ago

Yes, the ones that finally get caught.

#221 3 years ago

I like the idea of offsetting this scammer by pointing people to good dealers.

I've bought from JJ at Game Exchange, Trent at TILT Amusments, and Melissa at Cointaker. All have been great experiences. Would highly recommend any of them.

#222 3 years ago

and this one is for jonathan...i signed up yesterday as johnpopadiuk. so yes...takes 9 seconds to make an account to speak up.

Instead of posting about your legal knowledge, why not address something you actually know about and discuss the post you made in the original thread?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-jonathan-demare-asoa?tu=youdontknowme

#223 3 years ago

and this one is for jon...i signed up yesterday as john popadiuk. so yes...takes 9 seconds to make an account to speak up.
    now anxiously awaiting people to say that i must be jonathan.

Quite an about face here. You went from “I’m gonna let the cat out of the bag!!!” To “hey everybody back off this guy is cool!”

Charles Ponzi paid back plenty of people, by the way, until the day his scam completely collapsed. Get back to us after the vaunted “13 month plan” is complete and everybody is paid back in full.

#224 3 years ago

Joe at PinballSTAR is also great for your other pins (I don't think he does Stern). I've bought 2 Spooky games from him and he has been great!

#225 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Yes, the ones that finally get caught.

Yes, not saying that is the case hear but dear lord. The definition of a ponzi scheme is "paying people out" to still collect even more money from others... is this news to some people still?

#226 3 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

Joe at PinballSTAR is also great for your other pins (I don't think he does Stern). I've bought 2 Spooky games from him and he has been great!

I've bought 4 games through him... will always be a customer.

#227 3 years ago
    Quoted from estrader:

why not address something you actually know about and discuss the post you made in the original thread?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beware-of-jonathan-demare-asoa?tu=youdontknowme

ya, i'll discuss it. quote me: "jonathan, you better fix this sh!t...i'll let the whole cat out of this bag about your main source of machines, at least back in 2018"

and, he's fixing this sh!t. cat stays in bag the people being reimbursed already know.

#228 3 years ago

ya, i'll discuss it. quote me: "jonathan, you better fix this sh!t...i'll let the whole cat out of this bag about your main source of machines, at least back in 2018"
    and, he's fixing this sh!t. cat stays in bag the people being reimbursed already know.

Well you seem to be part of the problem and not the solution. How is he fixing the stress and aggravation not to mention the wasted time he has caused the people he ripped off over the last several years? Spending 10 grand (just a guess) and writing a out a payment plan isnt fixing anything its kicking the can down the road.

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Quite an about face here. You went from “I’m gonna let the cat out of the bag!!!” To “hey everybody back off this guy is cool!”

never said he was cool. i said that no response is no good.

people who are actually getting money are relieved that they are receiving money.

which was the original posters goal. not mr68. crwjumper.

if you're owed, speak up.

#230 3 years ago
    Quoted from estrader:

Well you seem to be part of the problem and not the solution.

ya, that's it. talk to someone who got paid yesterday.

what does jonathan owe you? nothing? right.

#231 3 years ago

ya, that's it. talk to someone who got paid yesterday.
    what does jonathan owe you? nothing? right.

Are you saying without your involvement people would not have been paid? Did you write the check or send the money?

#232 3 years ago
    Quoted from estrader:

Are you saying without your involvement people would not have been paid? Did you write the check or send the money?

i spoke to several parties.

but crwjumper did 98% of the legwork.

#233 3 years ago
    Quoted from ucsbaviator:Thanks! So game exchange is taking deposits on Iron Maiden. Would this be legit since they are a reputable dealer?

And people wonder how things like this happen.

In the middle of a thread where people got ripped off prepaying someone is asking if its "OK" to prepay.

Anytime you prepay anything you are assuming that risk.... I dont care who it is.

Someone gets covid or gets hit by a truck and you lose your money.

If you like acting as a personal bank for your dealer go ahead and prepay just dont come crying when delays happen or your money disappears.

#235 3 years ago

OP here.
    So far I haven’t gotten any negative emails from anybody affected. All are happy so far.

#236 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

And people wonder how things like this happen.
    In the middle of a thread where people got ripped off prepaying someone is asking if its "OK" to prepay.
    Anytime you prepay anything you are assuming that risk.... I dont care who it is.
    Someone gets covid or gets hit by a truck and you lose your money.
    If you like acting as a personal bank for your dealer go ahead and prepay just dont come crying when delays happen or your money disappears.

I was actually asking about a deposit and not a full prepay. As a guy that is new to this industry this seems relatively common to me if you want a popular nib game. I see GNR requires a deposit to order and that doesn't seem to scare many people away.

#237 3 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

OP here.
    So far I haven’t gotten any negative emails from anybody affected. All are happy so far.

Great to hear, Bill. Your leadership of this Pinside "arbitration" is having a positive impact. No doubt. So many people with no skin in the game want to see this as black & white. It's grey. Tangible progress is being made.

Quoted from ucsbaviator:

I was actually asking about a deposit and not a full prepay. As a guy that is new to this industry this seems relatively common to me if you want a popular nib game. I see GNR requires a deposit to order and that doesn't seem to scare many people away.

Funny you mention this. I'd actually like to purchase a GNRLE, but really don't like the "policy" of the non-refundable deposit. From my perspective, there should be a "time out" on locking my money up. If JJP can't deliver a game in say 60 days, I should be able to pull my refund back. This agreement to give them unlimited time to build my game is BS...

#238 3 years ago

OP here once again.
    I just received another PM saying that this individual received $5k today. I’m not posting all of these, this was just good timing along with my previous post. I’m very optimistic.

#239 3 years ago

Even if he pays everyone everything that was owed - how was any of this "ok"? It's not like these people hadn't been reaching out to him for months or a year already, with zero to show for it. It took a huge public thread and threats of lawsuits and DOJ and police involvement to finally get some restitution? Lesson here is, get your money back (hopefully), and everyone stay far away from this guy.

#240 3 years ago

weird to have 100s of successful transactions, for the sole goal of going full Ponzi,

Quoted from Mr68:

More often than not, these people begin with honorable intentions. But instead of asking for help or facing the hard truth when things go to shit, they begin to cheat.

Interesting podcast dedicated to various versions of these people- https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-opportunist/id1551162705

#241 3 years ago

It’s amazing what money you can come up with when you start living within your means... JD must have sold one of those fancy cars...

#242 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Funny you mention this. I'd actually like to purchase a GNRLE, but really don't like the "policy" of the non-refundable deposit. From my perspective, there should be a "time out" on locking my money up. If JJP can't deliver a game in say 60 days, I should be able to pull my refund back. This agreement to give them unlimited time to build my game is BS...

Yah this.... they take your money and have no idea when they can deliver.

Everything is backordered and late at this point.

There are people who threw down deposits months ago and are still waiting on games.

Its a "common practice" to give deposits and hope you get your game someday but a dumb one IMO.

#243 3 years ago

It's shit like this that makes me happy that I've managed to enjoy this hobby by carving out a nice niche buying and selling used machines for 20 years.

The whole NIB rat race seems absolutely miserable. Between the insane cost, waiting, deposits, scams, and virtually everybody who actually receives a game being thrown into a vortex of despair by every perceived flaw or defect on their brand new game, I just don't see where the fun is. Seems like a hobby for masochists with too much disposable income.

#244 3 years ago

Good luck with promised payment plans. A little money spread around right now while things are hot in an attempt to cool it down guarantees Zero in another 30 days... what happens then. Hope all these payments given are secured and don't evaporate with charge backs or banks taking the funds back out of payees accounts.

#245 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's shit like this that makes me happy that I've managed to enjoy this hobby by carving out a nice niche buying and selling used machines for 20 years.
    The whole NIB rat race seems absolutely miserable. Between the insane cost, waiting, deposits, scams, and virtually everybody who actually receives a game being thrown into a vortex of despair by every perceived flaw or defect on their brand new game, I just don't see where the fun is. Seems like a hobby for masochists with too much disposable income.

Couldn't agree more...and even if you manage to get a game, it can be full of build issues. Just think of what I went through for this Rick and Morty (that just handed my butt to me, btw

- ASOA R&M game that never appeared (after being promised in 60 days in writing).
    - Landed a NIB RAM from a local collector who flipped it for a nearly 2k Premium.
    - Had 1 month of dialing-in the game in because Spooky is still learning. Game has awesome "bones" (great PF/cabinet). I'm talking about lots of little things that were fixable but a PITA.

The good ole days of buying/selling B/W titles with actual collectors. Miss those days.

You said it best..."The whole NIB rat race seems absolutely miserable.". Fortunately, my buying has slowed. I'm happy with what I have.

#246 3 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Good luck with promised payment plans. A little money spread around right now while things are hot in an attempt to cool it down guarantees Zero in another 30 days... what happens then. Hope all these payments given are secured and don't evaporate with charge backs or banks taking the funds back out of payees accounts.

Exactly. Leopards cant change their spots.

#247 3 years ago

Where in the world is all this money coming from he's paying people back with?!

#248 3 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

Exactly. This is like watching a bad 80’s horror movie. Now that we are getting some money, let’s not question anything and celebrate behind the wall of chainsaws!

53016E0F-E69E-4F33-8640-087612681A08 (resized).jpeg53016E0F-E69E-4F33-8640-087612681A08 (resized).jpeg
    #249 3 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Evaporate? My money was sent via PayPal friends & family, which unlike products/services ISN"T insured. The funds can't be pulled back. And if somehow I am wrong, which I doubt, I will deal with it when that unlikely event occurs.

While I understand you skepticism, you have no skin in this game and your advice is silly. What do you expect? All the cash to fall into our hands simultaneously? Based on what I'm aware of (which is broader than my transaction), progress is goodness.

Quoted from captainadam_21:

Why should you care? I don't, and I'm effected by this. If he owns an expensive car, a lot of money can come from just one asset. But again, who cares as long as money is flowing in the direction of those he owes money to.

#250 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dexter:

I like JJ but had to quit using him when they jacked up the price on BM66 and couldn’t get one from them because of selling multiples to flippers like Kaneda

There are 682 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/part-2-beware-of-jonathan-demare-asoa-/page/5?hl=damoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.