By Clnilsen

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I try to have happen on this IJ?”

• It belongs in a museum! - Ship it as is and Get it completely Fixed in Ohio 0 votes
  • Ship it back to Ohio and leave it as is 5 votes
    45%
  • Keep it in Florida and Fix it in a couple years. 2 votes
    18%
  • Get out of there! Talk them into selling it as is... 4 votes
    36%

(11 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clnilsen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

This isn't a "what's it worth" thread, but I'm looking for some thoughts on what to do with a particular pin. I'l apologize for the rambling, but I'm really struggling on what to do with this.

I am currently in possession of a Williams Indy Pinball Adventure that belongs to my Mom (who's in her mid 70's) here in Florida. She LOVES this machine as she's a big Indy fan, but it NEVER gets played (she doesn't really play). It's served for years as basically an expensive showpiece in their living room.

She bought it years ago, and to be quite frank she got ripped off pretty hard (they paid HUO prices for it... I wasn't aware they were doing it prior to their purchase ). It is complete, but a reimport machine with an ok playfield (looks great from 5 foot, but insert wear, etc). The harness was cut at one point and put back together with automotive crimp connectors. Faded decals. Some repairs were attempted by a previous owner, but they borked it pretty badly. Several features did not work.

Due to time constraints and the fact that while it was local to me it wasn't actually at my house where I could really get into it, I've spent about a year off and on getting all the functionality back to good with short projects. Tearing it down small areas, cleaning, and trying to get it playing. Replaced a couple of boards with new. Everything works now as intended. Added cliffys. Replaced worn ramps, broken plastics, rubbers etc. At some point it was exposed to salt air and a lot of screws / brackets were corroded, so replaced those. Basically simple day projects but since it wasn't at my house (it's at my parents vacation home in Florida) I have been somewhat limited in how far I could really take it. It does play nicely now and everything works.

I still had a few things that I was going to do - I do have currently new brass legs, new decals, and a new pistol for it that I haven't gotten around to doing either. Originally I had intended on taking this thing all the way; brassed out, ColorDMD, etc. as a present to my parents. With it down here - and their intention to be in Florida permanently - I had planned the whole works... replace cabinet, etc.

Unfortunately, I found out that my parents are selling their home here in a Florida and moving back to Ohio so it now needs to go as well and will be out of my access. Even with all the work I've done, it still has some significant issues, including:

- Front corner of cabinet is cracked, so any shaking I fear could cause it to burst wide open. Also the lower right side of the head has some delaminating plywood
- Faded decals as mentioned
- Play field has insert wear
- Cut and poorly repaired harness as mentioned
- Still some metal pieces that need removed and cleaned, or replaced.

Given it needs to move (again!) in the next month or so, and my dad is not in any way capable of doing anything with it, I'm trying to figure out what to do with it - or rather what to suggest they do with it. Other than the cabinet issue, I think it is a decent player machine - or certainly could be with the parts I have on hand. They know that there are issues with it now that I've pointed them out, and understand it's a project at this point.

I think options are as follows:

1) Move it with the movers and pay someone in Ohio to replace the cabinet/do decals (at least) - I won't have it here to do myself, and with the moving truck going soon it needs to go on the truck back in its current state. I also believe that if they're going to go this far, that the harness needs done properly. Which then gets to a proper playfield swap... and we're at BIG MONEY even before labor costs - I'm thinking this is a $2500-3500 project here (PF, Cabinet, Labour). It also galls me to pay someone to do work I could do myself. With this also I'd have to handle the project remotely - find someone in Ohio to do the work, project manage it from here in Florida, etc. And honestly at the end of the day it's just going to sit as a decoration.

2) Ship it back unfixed. Tell them to stick it in a corner and never play it. Come back in 10 years and jettison it then. This bothers me as well since it's not only a decoration, but a non-functioning one.

3) Keep it here with me in storage until I eventually have time and space to get to it. That's probably a couple years from now, and to be frank I have my own machines I'd like to get to first. This means I'd have to ship it to Ohio once done from Florida... another 6-800$ in it. Also, I'm just not a fan of this particular game so I'm having a real hard time getting much more motivation to work on it. Quite frankly if it was mine, I'd probably just eventually trade it for something.

4) Tell them to jettison here in Florida to save the moving on it for whatever cash they can get for it.

What bothers me about this machine is I know they're getting up in years, and throwing good money after bad bothers me. I know it can be a really nice machine for the right person. But I also know my Mom loves this thing.

I don't have a place to set it up (though push comes to shove I can store it), and to be frank I really don't like the game to begin with (yes, I know, heathen I am). I have a few pins that I love (DW, D&D) and I have no issues doing pretty much anything on machines but living situation is I don't have the space to work on a project of this magnitude.

It's ultimately not up to me, but they're likely go with my recommendations on next steps. I'd really love some thoughts or ideas since I'm really struggling on this.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for all the initial thoughts - Probably going the right idea.

The one big concern I have is the cabinet condition, specifically the separated front corner. I don't know how to make sure it doesn't just decide to collapse one day especially since it needs to move again. Thoughts?

#15 6 years ago

So, following up on this, turns out I was pretty wrong on how much she liked this. They don’t really want to move it again, as they are not moving any of their game room pieces (pool table, juke, etc) since they have different plans for this basement den in Ohio.

I’m going to be getting some pics soon of this and getting it listed here on Pinside in the next week as a project game.

Thanks for all the input on this. Thanks as always for your wisdom, Pinside!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

14,000 (OBO)
12,500 (OBO)
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 1,419.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clnilsen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/parents-williams-ij-fix-it-or?tu=clnilsen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.