horrorshow.jpg
IMG_7368.JPG
CAB2RESIZE.JPG
CABINETRESIZE.JPG
BONUSRESIZE.JPG
BACKGLASSresize.JPG
BACKBOXBEST.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Just picked up another Paragon last night.
I'm very happy with this one. This one works with only a few minor issues, bulbs, and a couple display problems. It needs the first Inline drop target repaired or replaced. 1 missing post by the target in the middle.

The owner, bought this in about 1989, and it sat in his climate controlled basement. It resided there since then, and it is in very good condition. It has some wear on the PF around the bonus lights. A couple of the P A R A G O N inserts are sunk in and loose, not sure what to do with that yet.

The cabinet still has sheen on it. The red and blue are not faded very much at all (if any in most spots) as evidenced after removing the legs (protected paint colors).

The Backglass is about a 9 out of 10. Some light corrosion on the lift rail, no paint missing, just a little dusty on the back.

He hired service done on it, as he is not a tinkerer, and said it may have only had a couple hudred games played since he got it. (he actually estimated 100 so I'm doubling).

I'm going to take my two playfields to Ron Kruzman and get a quote on a retouch and clearcoat. Oddly enough, I live about 8 miles from him. (how convenient hey? )
I'm really excited about this one, and I think it's a real gem.

BACKBOXBEST.JPGBACKBOXBEST.JPG BACKGLASSresize.JPGBACKGLASSresize.JPG BONUSRESIZE.JPGBONUSRESIZE.JPG CABINETRESIZE.JPGCABINETRESIZE.JPG CAB2RESIZE.JPGCAB2RESIZE.JPG

#2 11 years ago

The PF in the picture looks awful and needs a major restoration (not just a "touchup/clear".

Confused why you think this is a nice PF example. I've attached what a nice original PF should look like.

snaroff

IMG_7368.JPGIMG_7368.JPG

#3 11 years ago

Nice pickup, so that is what the colors are suppose to look like on cabinet.

#4 11 years ago

My God! Beautiful score! To see the shine on the cab is amazing! Please shoot me a pm with ron's quote on touch up and clear, I've been considering addressing the cupped inserts on mine.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The PF in the picture looks awful and needs a major restoration (not just a "touchup/clear").
Confused why you think this is a nice PF example. I've attached what a nice original PF should look like.
snaroff

Wow someone is full of themself this morning. Learn to use resize.

#6 11 years ago

Snaroff, yes your PF is very nice, if not nearly perfect.

I'm not looking for a museum piece, just a good everyday player.
of my two PF's the new one has more wear around the bonus inserts than my original wreck, however this new one has more vibrant color than the other.
I'm pretty happy with it, perhaps my standard is lower than some.

#7 11 years ago

That machine is in really good shape, it would be nice to find a NOS PF, but that one is great for touch ups. Wonder if CPR is thinking of Paragon as a next seller?

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Kzooandy:

I'm pretty happy with it, perhaps my standard is lower than some.

Looks plenty good to me!

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Bub:

That machine is in really good shape, it would be nice to find a NOS PF, but that one is great for touch ups. Wonder if CPR is thinking of Paragon as a next seller?

Thanks for your comments. I could hold out for a NOS I suppose, but I would still want to make it a more durable play surface, rather than end up with the same problem as most of the old PF's with typical wear marks. The original process was made to be as inexpensive as possible, so I suppose not many top coatings were used, plus the newer paints and polymers are exponentially better than in 1978.

#10 11 years ago

True that!

#11 11 years ago

The damage to the pf seems localized to just around the inserts. A good artist should be able to touch that up reasonably. It's the pf's with the paint thin all over, where white dots start to appear everywhere, that you might just roll with it as is.

#12 11 years ago

Should have titled this "Pair-agon". (See what I did there?)

#13 11 years ago

The PF in the picture looks awful and needs a major restoration (not just a "touchup/clear").
snaroff

If mine is awful, what is this one?
horrorshow.jpghorrorshow.jpg

#14 11 years ago

a white wood

#15 11 years ago

Paragon is a good game, they got the crap played out them.

#16 11 years ago

I agree as I helped him sell it. He was asking too much originally. This would have made a prefect donor for a nos or repaired playfield. My concern on the pf was much of the wood was worn into around the numbers. You may a good playfield between the two to restore. let me know when you decide which to keep cuz I may just want a player. You just missed a nos pf that needed minor work but maybe better to check with Ron as he may have a surprise for u.

Ps... Cool house, eh?

#17 11 years ago

Thanks Jim,
I agree with your review of the machine. (thanks for helping him out on that).
Short of buying something already repaired/restored, this machine was about as good as you can find for the age out of the wild. It was a bit of a time capsule reopening.

His house is gorgeous, and I talked to him about it a bit. I only saw the basement area as I came in through the 4 car garage right by the machine. He gave me two bottles of homemade wine too. WOW. nice guy.

#18 11 years ago

I agree that besides the playfield you are not going to find better. I would like to add one in the future but for the cost of a nos or repo pf it was more money than I was willing to spend on it. I still need to get my lotr! He emailed me and said he wants me to stop by and get a couple bottles of his homebrew too for helping lol! Enjoy

#19 11 years ago

Nice pin, would love to fine one in nice condition some day, never really thought much of paragon until I saw one in person a couple weeks ago at an estate sale, went to look at some pins for sale and unfortunately it was already sold to the new owner of the house, I was bummed but bought a really nice table top pinball instead.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Kzooandy:

Garbage.

#21 11 years ago

Most paragons look like those. It's VERY rare to have one that isn't worn to the thousands wording. That's because even NOS playfields have major insert cupping and sinking. Causing the wood to wear almost instantly. It's unavoidable unless you clearcoat it. Paragon is a killer game tho.

#22 11 years ago

Garbage is something you throw away in the trash, You'd be a fool to throw away a Paragon even if it looked like that .

#23 11 years ago

CPR will be out with a repro in a year or two. Mine is very nice but still needs work. All the bonus values are still visible which is rare. I may have Kruzman redo mine, or wait for a CPR.

Here's a pic of my Paragons. One on left was sold.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#24 11 years ago

If it helps, Ron quoted me about $700 to fix the pf on the Paragon I had. It looked about the same.

#25 11 years ago

Wow, Some of you guys are real princess about your PFs. I really love a nice minty PF but all of my machines were bar/ arcade machines from the times when they got played and abused. They all show some signs of wear, have initials or high scores carved in the head and most are missing paint. I'm not an artist so there's no repainting PFs in my shop unless someone else gets out the brush. In turn all of my pins get played, a lot. Each and every mark on that pin is parts of its history and petina. I will, this summer, re-stencil and replace the PF on my SBM but not because I can't stand the sight of bare wood on the PF but because I want to try the swap myself. I don't collect pins as an investment I play them and don't want to get more money invloved in the pin than I can recoupe when I get tired of playing it.

#26 11 years ago

Ehem, first off its "patina". Secondly, it's "Mr. Princess".

#27 11 years ago

I played it a bit today, and found that as the ball traveled over the inserts, it jumped quite badly. I raised the inserts by removing, wrapping blue masking tape around them and sticking back in like a plug in the hole. (I chose this so it would be easy to remove for the proper repair, it was more of a test) This dramatically reduced the problem. I'm not going to play it much before I deal with the inserts. I don't mind it having some "patina" but I just don't want it to get worse.
The inserts are cupped badly, to the point that they should be completely replaced as compared to reused. Are such parts available? I would hope the new ones, especially if used with a restoration, are less prone to cupping. the cupping is the beginning of the issue, and the glue drying or the inserts shrinking are the kiss of death around those holes, the ball just machines the surface away as it pounds the edges of the holes.
Overall other than typical Bally light bulb socket issues, it is a great machine. I'm still very happy. Its a tough game to get any kind of a score on. Addictive though.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

If it helps, Ron quoted me about $700 to fix the pf on the Paragon I had. It looked about the same.

Great thanks
I think i'll give him a call tomorrow.

1 month later
#29 11 years ago

How about this one? No hurtful comments - it's mine

IMG_6294.JPGIMG_6294.JPG

#30 11 years ago

That looks like it has not been played in awhile, according to that sling rubber.

#31 11 years ago

Comments like a couple of those above make me wonder what those people would do with a worn example like the badly damaged playfield. He called it garbage. Does that mean he'd trash it because it's not up to his personal standards? How many of these guys are doing the ol' "buy two, make one nice one, trash the extra" technique?

#32 11 years ago

Just like an old Mustang, there are people who only admire them if they are completely restored, and others that value the car in its all natural state.

Either way, as long as someone is playing pinball, it's all good.

#33 11 years ago

usually if you make 1 fantastic one out of 2, you sell the other to someone else that needs different parts and it goes down the line. Until it gets to the guy with a very limited budget that it stops at, and he spends a year or more restoring it to a beautiful showpiece with time and love.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

usually if you make 1 fantastic one out of 2, you sell the other to someone else that needs different parts and it goes down the line. Until it gets to the guy with a very limited budget that it stops at, and he spends a year or more restoring it to a beautiful showpiece with time and love.

I suspect that more often than not it doesn't even get to that second guy and ends up in a dumpster with the boardset kept around to be fixed later as spares for the first.

1 year later
#35 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

That's me then. I'm at the absolute limit of low-end budget so I bought a total junk project Paragon sold-as-seen with no chance to test it when I collected. Basically, I turned up, confirmed that what I was looking at was a pinball machine standing on its end, spent 10-minutes hunting for the backglass and legs, parted with my cash and left!

It was dead when when I got it home. It was my first pin too. But I was just so thrilled to have picked up a thing of such beauty. And after a lot of tinkering I rebuilt the power supply and repaired the battery acid damaged MPU. Side-stepped a few hacks and Voilá! A working Paragon. Sure she's a hunk of junk just like the Millenium Falcon.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

I've got a shop log on here. Search for "Paragon Adventures In Budget Restoration".

#36 9 years ago

No matter how bad, with enough time and effort, you can always bring 'em back to lookin' good.
Http://Mcwhorters.net

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-x2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.