40%
  • Paragon 21 votes
    60%

(35 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230314_165237 (1) (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Yes, another one of these, but at least its a new question.

All things being equal which do you prefer (please answer only if you've played both).

Selling a machine and getting offers for trades + cash on both these machines at appropriate prices, both projects so I can't really form an opinion, but like fixing things up. Assuming they are priced correctly, which game do you prefer? I've only ever played Paragon and enjoy it. With TNA moving out in favor of Final Reistance, I'd like to have an early solid state back in. Of the early solid states I've rotated through the basement, from best to worst with my preferences I had Black Knight, Flash Gordon, Nine Ball, Fathom.

Thanks and curious as to everyone's opinon.

#2 1 year ago

We share similar tastes. Those 4 are amongst my favorite early SS pins too. I have owned FG and BK.

Paragon is one of my overall favorite pins. In fact, I've owned well over 100 pins, and it's one of very few that I wanted back so much...I bought another one.

#3 1 year ago

Barracora is probably my favorite Williams system 7 game.
Overall I far prefer Bally to Williams and I love Paragon - but I would trade mine for a Barracora if I had the op.

Let's add some logistics to this debate:
Art: Paragon
Difficulty: Paragon
Depth: Barracora
Meaningful shots: Barracora
Most ways to score: Barracora
Better competition game: Paragon

#4 1 year ago

Of the four you listed I'd say Paragon is closer to Nine Ball and Flash Gordon, and Barracorra is more similar to Black Knight and Fathom.

Both have beautiful art packages.

Paragon has better shots IMO. More kinetic satisfaction. Barracorra has fantastic and deep rules but you will spend a lot of time shooting drop target banks on the side of the game.

Both are great games. I lean slightly toward Paragon but I would love to own a Barracorra as well if I ever had a chance.

#5 1 year ago

I own Paragon and have had Barracora on my list for a long time and played it a bunch at shows etc. Just never had the right opportunity to grab one, I even have a nos Kruzman cleared playfield for the eventuality lol. That said, out of the two, I’d prefer to have Paragon all things being equal. One thing to consider is that Paragon is way easier to find, so eventually when you want to trade it, Barracora will open up a lot more options for you I think.

#6 1 year ago

I've owned both. Barracora lasted nearly 2 years in my collection while other games came and went. Although I actually prefer classic SS Ballys, Barracora outlasted many of those titles, including Paragon.

Barracora has drops like a Gottlieb, plays fast like a Williams, and has rules that rival the best Ballys of the era.

Paragon is a classic for a number of reasons, but I think Barracora is the better of the two.

#7 1 year ago

Owned both: Barracora is on year 7 in my collection while Paragon is long gone. If you understand the rules of Barracora, it's no contest! The advanced drop target mechanic on Barracora is UH-MAZING.

Art: Paragon (the girl on the BG may be the most attractive in all of pinball IMO)
Difficulty: Paragon
Depth and Rules: Barracora
Sounds: Barracora
Meaningful shots: Barracora
Most ways to score: Barracora
Longevity (unless you've got nostalgia for Paragon): Barracora

Both great games, but for me, the answer is kinda obvious. Good luck!

#8 1 year ago

Looks like in the end I'm getting a project Barracora and cash for my TNA. Thanks for the comments here guys. Paragon is more fun to look at but Barracora is more fun to play... At least I'll let you know after I get it working and play it!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Looks like in the end I'm getting a project Barracora and cash for my TNA. Thanks for the comments here guys. Paragon is more fun to look at but Barracora is more fun to play... At least I'll let you know after I get it working and play it!

I think you did good, I could see you getting sick of Paragon quickly. As beautiful as it is there's a pretty linear strategy to scoring.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

And in the surprise of the week moving the Baracorra machine fixed it and my project machine that was supposed to have reset problems magically works. Enjoying it so far. Really neat with the lane changes and the flipper buttons up top.

20230314_165237 (1) (resized).jpg20230314_165237 (1) (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-vs-barracora and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.