• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

paragon top bumper_LI (resized).jpg
paragon top bumper 2 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Appreciate any guidance on getting this gremlin fixed. After complete refurbishment, removed and replaced all components on playfield for restore have one little problem can’t figure out.
The treasure chamber kick out isn’t working. Going through the test mod the #3 solenoid pulls in (treasure chamber saucer), when switch is engaged will make sound and add points, have Alltech Systems MPU board, recently refurbished solenoid driver board. All other solenoids work properly.

Any clues on what to look for.
My givens are solenoid is working per test, switch is working from sound and scoring – what am I missing?
Thanks.
FYI want to sell this and move onto next project – seeking – Bally - multi ball - wide body.

#2 6 years ago

Post to one of the electronic forums. This is the electromechanical forum.

#3 6 years ago

can not figure out how to edit the post to new group? I am new to posting on forum. any ideas

#4 6 years ago

Sub forums, Tech, Early Solid state.

[I had a Paragon a few years ago and loved it]

#5 6 years ago

Does the switch engage when a BALL goes in there, or is this testing with your finger? Sometimes those switches can be finicky, so I thought I’d ask.
Otherwise, if the switch is registering, and the coil works, it’s kind of a head scratcher, as I’m sure you know.

#6 6 years ago

Switch does register properly with ball and coil works during test, could something have happened to MPU board it’s a new Altech. Wonder if there was update to board or others have had problem?

#7 6 years ago

With the game in attract, place a ball in the saucer. Does it immediately get kicked out? Do the same with the other saucer for comparison.

#8 6 years ago

Tried this - yes it does get kicked out as the other two.

#9 6 years ago

I was wrong. In attract mode it will NOT kick it out. The other two will. If left in and when first turning it on it will kick out. So switch is not sending signal to some part of system. -

#10 6 years ago

In test mode is it actually kicking the treasure chamber on the solenoid number it's supposed to? Or just sometime during the test it does kick out? I'm thinking it sounds like a wiring issue... everything works but when the signal goes back that a ball is in the hole, it scores and then actually triggers some other signal... does anything happen anywhere else on the playfield when the ball goes in the treasure chamber?

#11 6 years ago

Back to basics... what changed just before it stopped working... what did you touch related to treasure chamber as part of the refurb?

Mpu... not likely cause, other stuff would likely not be working.
New driver board... not likely if kicker does work sometime...
In the hole switch... no because something registers...

What else was changed or fixed?
Wiring ? Connectors? Proms? Leaf switches? Kicker hole assembly? Was it working before the refurb or did you buy it not working?

When you trigger the treasure chamber is it registering the correct thing? Ie. 5x when the drop targets are down, then free ball... do the drop downs pop up again after free ball? Will you get a special after you knock down drop targets again and activate saucer?

In your first post you said it makes sounds and scores points... Im not sure it's supposed to do that... 5x, free ball, special when valley of demons drop targets are down first... is what it should do... unless you get some points in addition; I'll check mine. Did you accidentally rewire it to either that small top bumper or the golden cliffs? If you press the top bumper on left beside golden cliffs does it cause the treasure chamber kicker to work?

added pictures where the small bumper is... if you've wired incorrectly to this switch signal, all you would get is a small "bing!" and maybe 100 or 500 points. It's really close to the Treasure Chamber so is it possible you swapped the wires?

paragon top bumper 2 (resized).JPGparagon top bumper 2 (resized).JPG

paragon top bumper_LI (resized).jpgparagon top bumper_LI (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from lknpin:

Appreciate any guidance on getting this gremlin fixed

Quoted from HowardR:

Post to one of the electronic forums. This is the electromechanical forum.

Quoted from lknpin:

can not figure out how to edit the post to new group? I am new to posting on forum. any ideas

Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

Sub forums, Tech, Early Solid state.

#13 6 years ago

in test mode it works on number 03 as identified in table for self test #s. I swapped play fields so don't have a bases if that play field ever worked. I have two play fields and used the one which was in machine originally as guide when rebuilding. The wires going to switch are brown-white and white-yellow just like the extra play field I still have, that one had worked prior to refer-bush. When switch engaged it only scores 10 points and makes sound and advances the bonus area by one step. 10 points is what a rebound switch will score so why is that?
I traced all wires back to sound board and MPU board and look like in correct position for the four plugs they travel to. I have not tested continuity for all wires yet - think I should? Wires going to solenoid are double yellow single orange.
the 10 points scored is weird?

#14 6 years ago

the top bumper scores 500 points but does not engage solenoid.

#15 6 years ago

solenoid wires are double yellow wires and single orange and and looks black or green?

#16 6 years ago

now I may be getting close when the top center target switch is engaged has two white-yellow and brown-yellow wires it will engage the treasure chamber saucer solenoid. now how do I fix that?

#17 6 years ago

solved
on the MPU board plug number J2 position number 13 and 14 where reversed. thanks to all for creating the thinking process. not sure how these where reversed since I did not mess with the plug wiring. this was play field I never used but used it to refurbish the whole game. NOW it works ---.

#18 6 years ago

Sweet. Nice work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-treasure-chamber-saucer-solenoid-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.