Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200429_183610 (resized).jpg
20200429_183556 (resized).jpg
20200429_183549 (resized).jpg
20200429_183543 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi everyone, recently picked up a Paragon & totally love the game. Best art and acion packed playfield - stoked to have it in my collection

The other day when i started it though, as soon as it power up it gave the "tilt" sound effect. When i start a ball, it will instantly Tilt - everytime

Have checked the tilt and thats not the issue. I also uncrewed the wiring to the tilt belt and it has continued.

Did a switch test and all worked except 14 & 15. 14 is the coin lock door so not sure if its meant to fire anything off (its constantly open) . 15 is the small flipper on the right, which works when i get the quick chance to fire off before the tilt kicks in.

Bit lost to where to check next.

Only other issue this game has is player 1 display drops in and out due to a dodgy connection. I can see one has a burn mark from previous - but will generally work once it has been juggled about.

Checked & swapped all fuses also

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

Did a switch test and all worked except 14 & 15. 14 is the coin lock door so not sure if its meant to fire anything off (its constantly open) . 15 is the small flipper on the right, which works when i get the quick chance to fire off before the tilt kicks in.

The coin lockout coil is solenoid 14 and the flipper enable relay is solenoid 15 in solenoid test mode. So you actually ran solenoid test, not switch test mode.
There's no switch 14 or 15 wired.

The J2 connector on the MPU board is the playfield switch harness, and the J3 connector on the MPU board is the cabinet/door switch harness.
Disconnect those connectors one at a time to help isolate where the tilt switch issue is (playfield or cabinet).

BTW there's a weighted tilt switch between the flipper mechs under the playfield so also check that one if you haven't yet.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The coin lockout coil is solenoid 14 and the flipper enable relay is solenoid 15 in solenoid test mode. So you actually ran solenoid test, not switch test mode.
There's no switch 14 or 15 wired.
The J2 connector on the MPU board is the playfield switch harness, and the J3 connector on the MPU board is the cabinet/door switch harness.
Disconnect those connectors one at a time to help isolate where the tilt switch issue is (playfield or cabinet).
BTW there's a weighted tilt switch between the flipper mechs under the playfield so also check that one if you haven't yet.

Thanks, yep sorry, thats what i meant - Solenoid test!
Thanks for giving me some direction here.

the tilt is stopping on J3 removal. What do you suggest i check next?

#4 3 years ago

Can you post a clear picture of the cabinet tilt board showing the plumb bob and the ball roll cage? Oh, check that the ball isn't stuck at the back end of the ball roll cage causing the tilt activation.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Can you post a clear picture of the cabinet tilt board showing the plumb bob and the ball roll cage? Oh, check that the ball isn't stuck at the back end of the ball roll cage causing the tilt activation.</blockquote
Done!

20200429_183543 (resized).jpg20200429_183543 (resized).jpg20200429_183549 (resized).jpg20200429_183549 (resized).jpg20200429_183556 (resized).jpg20200429_183556 (resized).jpg20200429_183610 (resized).jpg20200429_183610 (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

Could be a failed (shorting) capacitor across the tilt plumb bob mechanism wiring. See the olive green round disc capacitor on that screw lug you've disconnected? Cut or unsolder one of the legs of that capacitor and see if the tilt goes away.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Could be a failed (shorting) capacitor across the tilt plumb bob mechanism wiring. See the olive green round disc capacitor on that screw lug you've disconnected? Cut or unsolder one of the legs of that capacitor and see if the tilt goes away.

Un-bloody-believable. You just diagnosed and correctly fixed a problem ive spent 2 hours over the course of the past 2 days trying to get to the bottom of - in 5 minutes, from across the other side of the world. Its fixed.

Mind Fxxxxg BLOWN

This is actually one of the biggest reasons i love pinball - that was just incredible mate & im pretty sure its not the first time you have done this for me.

THANK YOU!

#8 3 years ago

Next up is that player 1 display. It's common for the soldering on the 20 pin header and sometimes on the glass display pins to crack. Pull that display out and carefully inspect the soldering across both those locations and touch up where necessary.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Next up is that player 1 display. It's common for the soldering on the 20 pin header and sometimes on the glass display pins to crack. Pull that display out and carefully inspect the soldering across both those locations and touch up where necessary.

Haha, only just saw this. I was off playing some celebratory games!

Will have a look now and let you know

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:Next up is that player 1 display. It's common for the soldering on the 20 pin header and sometimes on the glass display pins to crack. Pull that display out and carefully inspect the soldering across both those locations and touch up where necessary.

Yep, a bit of soldet had it working better. I think i will need to re-pin the connector at some point as well as there are some clear burn marks on pins 8-10.

For now though, she is running smooth as eggs. Thanks again buddy

2 years later
#11 1 year ago

Thanks for this thread! Mine just pulled the same thing. Went straight to the forums, 2 min. Later was back to playing!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-tilting-on-power-up-amp-ball-start?hl=raouljuke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.