(Topic ID: 33423)

Paragon switch problems

By the96stang

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I just picked up a Paragon and the only problem that the machine has is that disk switches and coils to not match up. If either words when a ball lands in a kick out hole a pop bumper fires. I checked the connectors and they are correct. I also swapped the PIA chips and nothing changed. Where do I go from here?

#2 11 years ago

If you don't have a manual, d/l one from the IPDB. Then run the coil test, and see if the coils firing match up to the coil numbers given in the manual. Report results...

#3 11 years ago

They do not fire correctly. The only ones that do are the knocker and the middle pop bumper. The rest dont fire or fire incorrectly.

#4 11 years ago

What actually fires, vs. what should fire, helps diagnose what line(s) are having a problems. The info comes over from MPU on connector J4, lines 1-10 (or so), as a binary number. If one or more lines is missing, the number gets messed up. For example (these numbers are made up) if 0011 is the number for bumper 1, but the LSB is always missing, the number seen by the SDB will be 0010, and will fire the wrong coil, and continue to fire wrong coils for all that need that bit.

Soooo, you could make a little table of what coil fires, vs. what coil should fire, consult the schematic (d/l the EBD one, it has the schematic), and find which line(s) are busted.

Or maybe this is overkill. You might get lucky by messing with the MPU j4 connector, and see if that helps--make sure it has solid continuity on all lines, etc.

But if a chip is causing the problem, then you'll need to dig further...

#5 11 years ago

Cut the small disc capacitors off of the switches and see if the phantom reactions go away.

#6 11 years ago

From the description of the problem, these are not 'phantom reactions' but incorrect solenoid firings in response to switch actions. I get this problem when I have the wrong game selected on my Alltek - as this is a new machine to you are you sure the game roms are correct? And as has already been mentioned, connector issue?

#7 11 years ago

I have had similar problems in the past. Assuming the MPU chips are correct and the connectors are good, this issue comes up due to problems with the switch matrix. I visually check each switch that has the capacitor and diode. If they are touching metal this will disrupt the matrix and the MPU switch responses. I`ve most often found the issue on the drop targets, tilt ball assembly and also coin switch area. Good luck.

#8 11 years ago

It turned out to be a flaky J4 connector on the driver board. Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-switch-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.