Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by halpain24
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider halpain24.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Got a new project Paragon. I replaced the F5 fuse and the game plays, lights are all on, however the single left pop switch does not work, and the middle and right pop switch of the 3 do not work, and the center top target switch and the two outside star switches up top do not work. The pop coils all fire in test so it seems to just be the switches. I have tried to jump the switches and they still do not work. Other issue is all the backglass lights do not light. The two up top and bottom that are sectioned off in the panel do light but all the main lights that light the backglass do not work. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: Issue resolved. bad capacitors on switched caused them to stay closed. replacing capacitors resolved issue.
backbox lighting issues were due to J3 connector on the A2 board. Pins were burnt and female connector wasn't making good contact.

#3 8 years ago

I dont see it say 0 in the coin display but this is my first SS game. When running through tests inside coin door based on the manual, the one just after the drain sound is the stuck switch test I believe. It shows 30 on the displays, which 30 would be the top center target I believe, meaning that switch is stuck open?

#4 8 years ago

Ok, so because of what you said and 30 was stuck open, I cut the capacitor and then ran switch test again and it changed to 34 which is another switch not working. 30 (center target) is working now. Is it safe to leave it working without a capacitor? Sorry, I don't know enough about this. I am assuming if I keep cutting capacitors these switches will all work, just not sure that's the best resolution??

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Only the pop bumpers and stand up targets have capacitors, the rollover switches don't. Verify none of the switches are physically stuck closed. The rollover and pop bumper switch cannot be gapped too wide or they won't work.
It's also possible the switch contacts have a lot of dirt buildup and just need to be cleaned really well. Have you tried shorting the switch blades with an alligator clip wire?

I have shorted and none worked. Also the top rollover switches did have a capacitor.

Quoted from cody_chunn:

The numbers reporting back in the test are switches stuck CLOSED. The capacitors on the switches fail by shorting internally, causing the switch to register. Cutting off the caps will eliminate the stuck switch, but the game will play like crap as the MPU will miss detecting quick switch closures, like on standup targets, star rollovers and pop bumpers.
Once you get the switch report clear (00), best to replace all those caps.
Check rectifier board connectors for backglass lights. Marked G.I. to Backbox (BB) in manual.

Thanks, sorry. I'm still learning. That makes sense. So I have cut the 5 capacitors of the five switches that were stuck closed, and they all work now. So I need to order capacitors. Can I buy these? 0.047uF, 50 Volt Ceramic Capacitor. Would they be the same on all switches weather it runs a pop bumper or not correct? Thanks again.

#10 8 years ago

Does polarity matter?

#12 8 years ago

Awesome, looks like my local Radio Shack has the .047 so I'm gonna go grab a handful and put those on tonight. Also just as an update I found a connector running to the A2 board that has 2 burnt pins on it. I am going to take it apart tonight and see if that fixes the lighting issue and then probably replace that connector.

#13 8 years ago

Update: Looks like all is fixed. The two center pins on the J3 plug on A2 board were not making good contact. After adjusting the female end the backbox is lit as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider halpain24.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-switch-issues?tu=halpain24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.