(Topic ID: 190414)

Paragon solenoid intermittent activation

By Xtraball

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

My paragon has been working fine for months. While recently playing a game the ball landed in the Paragon saucer (upper right) and didn't kick out. Went into solenoid test and #4 solenoid doesn't kick. Tuned the game off and come back later it's fine for a game or so. Then it quits again. Thought maybe a heat issue. Next day turn game on and it still doesn't work. Later that night I turn the game on and it works. I don't play a game I just shut the game off and turned it back on again and it doesn't fire. The game didn't have a chance to get hot in the backbox. I determined transistor #14 is for the saucer so I grounded it and it fires. What would be next step?

#2 6 years ago

Could the switch in the saucer need some cleaning? dip a business card in some alcohol and rub it between the contacts.

Jeff

#3 6 years ago

It scores correctly and plays the appropriate tune every time the ball lands in the saucer. I don't think it's the switch.

#4 6 years ago

Reflow all the connector pins on the driver board, just in case

#5 6 years ago

Disconnect and reconnect the connector housing that the wire for SOL#4 goes through. If this resolves the problem, plan on rebuilding the connectors soon. Order your headers and connector pins from Great Plains Electronics (both sizes, .100 and .156).

Rebuilding connectors is mandatory in this vintage game if they haven't been done recently.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 185.00
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-solenoid-intermittent-activation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.