1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

paragon 34 (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

I recently swapped out my paragon playfield, and the game plays ok, but there are some phantom scoring issues.

1) At the start of each ball, 50 points are scored before the ball hits the plunger.
2) Other random 50 point scores occur throughout the game, then the sounds don’t line up with the scores.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

#2 1 year ago

What does the switch test say?

#3 1 year ago

Check the switches on the four star rollovers. One is probably gapped too close, and when there’s a small vibration on the playfield, the switch registers a hit. That would explain the initial 50 points when you launch the ball, and then randomly assigns 50 points the rest of the game.

#4 1 year ago

I couldn’t ever get diagnosis in the switch test. However, I thought that I would like to see if the kick out was shorted somehow, so I placed the machine in the switch test, and dropped the playfield .5” by accident. This caused 34 to pop up.

I looked at 34 for the roll over, blocked it with paper, and redid the slight drop, still showed the 34. Clipped the diode? On the switch, and it still happened. Then I realized that 34 is also over the drop target. I made an adjustment on the switch over the drop target, and I am currently resoldering the diode, and once done I will retest.

More to follow shortly…

#5 1 year ago

I currently have both switches separated with paper, and if I knock on the playfield in the switch test, 34 still shows up. Where should I look for shorts?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from JWCpinball:

I currently have both switches separated with paper, and if I knock on the playfield in the switch test, 34 still shows up. Where should I look for shorts?

There are 3 switches

paragon 34 (resized).pngparagon 34 (resized).png
#7 1 year ago

Thank you. It appears that the roll over buttons are sticking. Is there any way to lube them so they move freely?

#8 1 year ago

has the playfield been clearcoated in the past? Just curious as the clearcoat will cause the star rollovers to stick.

they can be removed but it's tricky and not sure if you want to go down that path in case a leg snaps off.
i only mention removing them because they may be built up with grime or similar, but you could try spraying some isopropyl alcohol into the red housing with a rag underneath to catch any muck, or just try some teflon spray. My concern was adding spray onto muck that may make it worse, ideally the inserts and stars want to be clean first.

the other option is to replace the white star rollovers, cut the nub from the underside and use a toothpick or similar to push the star out, clean the red housing and insert new ones?

#9 1 year ago

Might try letting a drop of rubbing alcohol soak into the stem from underneath, move it up and down several times to clean it, then soak up the gunk with a tissue. Maybe doing that a few times. But that's in case the sticking is not in the 'star' pf slots.

1 week later
#10 1 year ago

I removed the rollover by clipping off the bottom of the star. Once removed, I spent about 20 minutes clearing out the excess clearcoat with an exacto knife, inserted a new star, and Viola, everything worked perfectly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-phantom-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.