Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Chalkey
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RaoulJuke.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Had been having issues with my Paragon booting up, which i had assumed was my rectifier board. I had this tested and repaired and once re-installed it was working ok again.

I had many globes blown however, so i replaced with new globes. This process went fine and when completed i pulled the PF down and back to reseat into the cabinet - when the game and lights dropped out. The the majoirty of the PF lights went also - The GI's remain working.

I reset the game and it would still not boot. I checked the CPU board test flasher and am getting 1 flash, followed by a small pause with 5 more - 6 in total. I have re-seated all the connectors & also checked the fuses which all look ok. Not sure what is stopping the final flash & game to boot, can anyone advise a suggestion.

Also, a small side question - many of the lights i replaced will work but then drop out. I have wiggled them and the connector around & they will go again, but will drop out. Clearly there is a connection issue between the globe and socket - but i really dont know how to fix this from being a constant problem .Does anyone have any tops on the best way to avoid this happening, especially with older, less kept machines.

Thanks in advance

#4 3 years ago

An update folks

removed all fuses on PF & rect board and all tested ok.

Disconnected the sound board as read that can be an issue.

removed all connectors on all boards, one by one, to see is i could get it to boot. Then re-seated them.

No change.

Based on this is it likely a resistor on one of the boards? I am not very skilled with board issues. Which resistor should i be looking at and how would be the best way to test?

\

#6 3 years ago

Hi im not sure what this exactly involves & the attached link is "outdated".

Ive already removed fuse F4 & tested it & it was fine. Do u mean its possibly the fuse holder?

With U10 & U14, are these on the mpu board? If so, How doi test them?

Sorry, board stuff i am not quiet there.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

You'll still want to check for the 43V on the rectifier where the F4 fuse is. That is Test Point 5 (TP5). You'll need a digital multimeter to check it. The black connects the the ground braid and the red to TP5. If the fuse is good, and TP5 shows 43V, your issue on the MPU, possibly the chips. If it doesn't show 43V, your issue is with the rectifier board.

Hmm, i think it must be on the rectifer board still. Only getting a reading of 1v. So does this discount it being a connecter on the rect.board?

#10 3 years ago

If someone can direct me to what needs attention,
Im willing to have a crack at repairing components on it. have the day off so might as well & need to learn sometime

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

All my classic bally sterns get a new rectifier board at the first sign of a problem. If you repair the old ones you'll end up chasing your tail as new problems invariably pop up (as you have discovered). Weebly.nvram.com has lots for around 40 bucks or you can get a completed one for around 80ish. If you want to save the ducketts and just fix the one problem check br3. Negative multimeter probe to positive and positive to each AC one at a time, should be around 5-6, then positive multimeter probe to negative bridge, negative probe to each AC for the same result. You can compare to the other bridges to verify your testing method.

Thanks will do the test for educational purposes but agree - it needs a new board. I have chased tail on this one.

To confirm power on machine, change to AC on multi-V, - to + & + to ACs on BR3?

#13 3 years ago

SoLVED: when testing the BR3, when pushing prod onto AC point the game booted up. When removed though, progress ceased. I reflowed the solder on that AC point & the machine worked without issue.

Will still invest in a new rect board at some point, but glad to have her purring again. Thanks mate, massive help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RaoulJuke.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-not-booting-up?tu=RaoulJuke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.