(Topic ID: 205422)

Paragon - non working - should I scoop it up?

By Smart_Bomb

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Smart_Bomb
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a chance to pick up a paragon for $200, non working. It lights up and thats it. The back glass would need replacing..it has bad flaking.

I have not physically looked at the game...just going by what the guy is telling me, who is not a hobbyist/collector..its just a pin he has and looking to get rid of it. I have no idea the extent of work required to get it going...for all i know the pcb could have acid damage.

Should I get it?

#2 6 years ago

As long as the wood isn't rotting, being eaten by termites, and the playfield is halfway decent, sure.

Boards aren't too difficult to swap or repair. There is a lot of info on pinwiki.

$280 for a backglass, $150 for a new MPU, $15-$60 for a new rectifier board (cheaper if you assemble it yourself), then either repair or replace the other boards, depending on what your skills are and how willing you are to learn how to repair stuff. Then rebuild the flipper assemblies with new parts ($40-$60), put new coil sleeves in everything, replace drop targets, pop bumper rebuild kits, and replacing anything else that's badly worn or broken.

If you think you would enjoy fixing it up, then yes, it's a good price. If it's not something you think you would enjoy, then a project game might not be for you.

You may need to put $500-$700 into the game as it sits. A fully working one is around $1200-$1500, if you can find one. So if you can do the work, you can save a few hundred.

[edit]: If it is listed publicly, it's probably already gone. Cheap project games are very desirable to those who like working on them.

#3 6 years ago

hell yes you should!

edit: it should be in your car in 5...4...3...

#4 6 years ago

Wow that game started at I think $1200 or $1000 then I saw he dropped it to $600 in some places and $500 in others he has it listed but he will take $200.

If you want it better get it as you released its price to the LA pinheads.

#5 6 years ago

Log out and go get it NOW!

#6 6 years ago

Im going to check it out tomorrow..i'll post the results.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

As long as the wood isn't rotting, being eaten by termites, and the playfield is halfway decent, sure.
Boards aren't too difficult to swap or repair. There is a lot of info on pinwiki.
$280 for a backglass, $150 for a new MPU, $15-$60 for a new rectifier board (cheaper if you assemble it yourself), then either repair or replace the other boards, depending on what your skills are and how willing you are to learn how to repair stuff. Then rebuild the flipper assemblies with new parts ($40-$60), put new coil sleeves in everything, replace drop targets, pop bumper rebuild kits, and replacing anything else that's badly worn or broken.
If you think you would enjoy fixing it up, then yes, it's a good price. If it's not something you think you would enjoy, then a project game might not be for you.
You may need to put $500-$700 into the game as it sits. A fully working one is around $1200-$1500, if you can find one. So if you can do the work, you can save a few hundred.
[edit]: If it is listed publicly, it's probably already gone. Cheap project games are very desirable to those who like working on them.

The back of the back box needs to be replaced and no termite damage...no place as a repo back glass..i see one on ebay but its not a repo amd has some flaking issues...all places ive seen online thus far are all sold out of repos...and im also reading in order to upgrade to led’s i would have to install a new drive board for the lights.i will know tomorrow once i go see it in person.

#8 6 years ago

good luck, great title to own.

#9 6 years ago

Bgresto.com has Paragon backglass.
Good luck!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

no place as a repo back glass

bgresto.com can make it, though it can take a few months.

#11 6 years ago

YES! Go get it!!

#12 6 years ago

I have a near mint original Bally backglass!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Bgresto.com has Paragon backglass.
Good luck!

Bgresto: $310 shipped

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

Im going to check it out tomorrow..i'll post the results.

If you don’t buy this, I’ll be tempted to drive from Atlanta to buy it for $200. Please don’t tempt me as I don’t want to make another road trip

#15 6 years ago

I passed..the game is missing the main pcb amd another board and he didnt know it..., the back glass definitley needs to be replaced....the art work fell off as i removed the glass...no keys..no locks...rubbers need replacing..all coil arms are corroded solid black.....i had it at $200 before i got there...after looking at and explaining to him he said give him $100...i said no still.

The playfield and cab is decent..a good waxing of the playfield is needed...playfield artwork was unusually good.

Legs needed a complete restore. The entire game needs total restore of around $1,000 between art and electronics.

Then he asked me "is it worth anytning to u?"... I said " no, its a headache". He said he would take it to auction and get $250 to $300 for it."..i said “not if u tell them its missing the main pcbs” then he said he will "because people are stupid."

I said id give u $20....he said $50..i said $40...he said no..he can't go lower..i said i cant go higher.

So there is a paragon u can get for $50 u will drop a grand into and man hours...a complete restore needed.

I have 12 arcade and 2 pin projects going on and dont need another one plus no room for it.

#16 6 years ago

$50 for a project? I would have nabbed that in a heartbeat even if I didn't have time for it just to rescue it. You could always pass along a good deal to someone else.

#17 6 years ago

No offense, but passing on that is nuts. Just take your time and pick up parts as they show up, or pass it onto someone and make a few bucks. (That said, I sold all my projects--I came to the realization that with a job, a business, and 3 kids playing sports, I'm just a consumer for now).

#18 6 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for someone, but if you're looking for something that is perfect, a big project isn't the most cost effective starting point. Sounds like you could have a working paragon for ~$350-400

#19 6 years ago

I know..i thought of all of that...storing and /or trade bait...really guys i just have no room or energy for so much work it required. My back yard sheds and patio and livng room is borderline an episode of hoarders with all the projects i have going on and stored away...id never get to the paragon pin and its not a game on my want or wish list...i have to say no sometimes no matter what the deal is...had it been a game i like i would have absolutley sucked it up...but for a game i can careless about i had to pass.

That $50 would turn into a grand easily id rather put towards another game or something else and ALOT of man hours on top of that...i just dont have it in me for a game i dont want.

#21 6 years ago

Maybe there will be a happy ending since you passed I just called a freind of mine who is closer then me. He had made an offer before but was turned down kicker is it was higher then your offer of two but this may have been when the owner was asking a grand. If the owner will take $50 I know he will buy it.

#22 6 years ago

Looking at those pictures on CL it doesn't look that bad. $200 for a glass, another $200 for boards, $100 misc parts and you'd have a decent and classic game. Even at $200 for the game it's a no brainer. I think you made a mistake but to each is there own I guess.

John

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Looking at those pictures on CL it doesn't look that bad. $200 for a glass, another $200 for boards, $100 misc parts and you'd have a decent and classic game. Even at $200 for the game it's a no brainer. I think you made a mistake but to each is there own I guess.
John

More like $310 for a back glass....$300 to $400 for 2 new main boards...new rubbers, they are rotted...new legs (because they are rusted bad 100%) or buff and paint...restore coin door (rust)...all new coils will be needed...if u upgrade to led kit u are looking at another $200.

The positives on the pin was the cab was soild, faded but solid; coin door had the coin mechs and playfield did not need to be replaced from what i could tell but thats about where it ends.

Besides that just about everything else had to be replaced or restored. And even replacing everything doesn’t mean it will work. The displays may be bad..i have no idea...no way to tell.

Youll be in a grand when its all said and done.

I didn't have the energy for it....thats why im letting pinside know about it..hopefully one of u guys will get it.

#24 6 years ago

With a little effort a glass can be found for around $200, it might not be perfect either but presentable. A original rebuilt MPU is under $100 these days as are the other boards. Displays? We'll who knows......just take that as it comes, anyways worse case scenario is they all need to replaced but there under $150 for a set of five. Rubbers $20, legs $20. Whats the matter with the coils that are in it? Who cares about LED's ?? Waste of money. So on the low end, $450 ish plus displays if there bad. All new light bulbs and sockets, so there's another $100. Still way cheaper then you might think but that's my feelings on it. It might not be a fully restored show piece but still presentable and a decent player of a great game. $550 in parts, plus $50 for the game= $600 ish. Games like that around these parts people will kill for. Again, just my opinion.
On a side note, if your sheds are soooo full already then why even bother to waste the guys time if you claim you don't have the room for it? Sounds like your trying to justify the fact that you should have bought it and it's an excuse that you didn't? Again my two cents here.

John

#25 6 years ago

"Smart" Bomb. Yes I'm doing this with my fingers too.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

I passed..the game is missing the main pcb amd another board and he didnt know it..., the back glass definitley needs to be replaced....the art work fell off as i removed the glass...no keys..no locks...rubbers need replacing..all coil arms are corroded solid black.....i had it at $200 before i got there...after looking at and explaining to him he said give him $100...i said no still.
The playfield and cab is decent..a good waxing of the playfield is needed...playfield artwork was unusually good.
Legs needed a complete restore. The entire game needs total restore of around $1,000 between art and electronics.
Then he asked me "is it worth anytning to u?"... I said " no, its a headache". He said he would take it to auction and get $250 to $300 for it."..i said “not if u tell them its missing the main pcbs” then he said he will "because people are stupid."
I said id give u $20....he said $50..i said $40...he said no..he can't go lower..i said i cant go higher.
So there is a paragon u can get for $50 u will drop a grand into and man hours...a complete restore needed.
I have 12 arcade and 2 pin projects going on and dont need another one plus no room for it.

I have 2 Paragon project games plus an extra PF. At that price I'd of stacked them to the ceiling. You're concerned about legs? Working OE boards, SDB, Lamp and MPU $200 or less. I'd of paid $100 in an instant, $200 if PF was decent.

#27 6 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. I would've scooped it up and passed it on to someone on pinside or locally if I decided not to invest the time or money in a restore. Nothing better than paying it forward for some pinball karma. A used cabinet would be $50 at least. Bad backglasses are frustrating to look at but not an emergency to replace.

Quoted from Dayhuff:On a side note, if your sheds are soooo full already then why even bother to waste the guys time if you claim you don't have the room for it? Sounds like your trying to justify the fact that you should have bought it and it's an excuse that you didn't? Again my two cents here.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

With a little effort a glass can be found for around $200, it might not be perfect either but presentable. A original rebuilt MPU is under $100 these days as are the other boards. Displays? We'll who knows......just take that as it comes, anyways worse case scenario is they all need to replaced but there under $150 for a set of five. Rubbers $20, legs $20. Whats the matter with the coils that are in it? Who cares about LED's ?? Waste of money. So on the low end, $450 ish plus displays if there bad. All new light bulbs and sockets, so there's another $100. Still way cheaper then you might think but that's my feelings on it. It might not be a fully restored show piece but still presentable and a decent player of a great game. $550 in parts, plus $50 for the game= $600 ish. Games like that around these parts people will kill for. Again, just my opinion.
On a side note, if your sheds are soooo full already then why even bother to waste the guys time if you claim you don't have the room for it? Sounds like your trying to justify the fact that you should have bought it and it's an excuse that you didn't? Again my two cents here.
John

Not justifying anything..i simply didn't want it after i was standing in front of it and seeing/knowing what it would take. It wasn’t a waste of time for him or me..i educated him on the pin and i seen exactly what he was offering. And yeah, i am packed to, the gills but if it was a game i HAD to have id figure a way to make room somehow.or put it in my parents garage and get around to it in 2 yrs. These are all decisions i made in the moment at the time and i still dont regret it. I simply “nope-d” the heck out of there.

I dont regret one second of not dropping $50 on a pin that wasnt worth the time and effort TO ME! Is it a deal at $50?..sure, why not..was it a deal i wanted to put energy towards? Nope, not after seeing it. i didnt even want to offer him $40 to be honest....im glad he said no to the $40...If the back glass was good and not 100% fall from the glass i may have paid the $50. Seriously, when i removed the back glass the entire art work just fell off in 3 big pieces...i never seen anything like it...then i open the box and multiple boards were missing...it was all down hill from there...metally i was just like “nah..im so not in the mood for this pin..i’ll, pass the info along to others, let someone else get it.”

The way i see it i saved money in the long run and someone here will get a great deal and save it instead..it just wont be me.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Capinball:

I was wondering the same thing. I would've scooped it up and passed it on to someone on pinside or locally if I decided not to invest the time or money in a restore. Nothing better than paying it forward for some pinball karma. A used cabinet would be $50 at least. Bad backglasses are frustrating to look at but not an emergency to replace.

Me telling everyone here there is a paragon for $50 is me paying it forward...im pointing it to you...go get it.

Actually it may have already been scooped up..a member here passed along my info on the pin to someone close to,its location...they will get it hopefully.

See..someones getting a great deal because i got the guy to his rock bottom price...whos to say if i didn’t go there first someone else couldnt get him down from $1,000 (which was his original advertised price) to $50? everyones happy now, right?

I did my part in a sense, now someone go get it.

#30 6 years ago

Fair enough. Lets move on.

John

#31 6 years ago

Whoever gets it better post pix here!

#32 6 years ago

Nothing wrong with passing on this if you have no interest in taking on a huge project.
It's a good deal for someone who wants a project.
Someone will end up with a great game after a bunch of work.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Whoever gets it better post pix here!

here ya go...the back glass art is completely gone now..it fell out when i was there...its missing boards out of the backbox, mainly the main pcb. some lights come on.

neworleans.craigslist.org link

gulfport.craigslist.org link

#34 6 years ago

Hah! No, I meant pix when they restore it.....but thanks!

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

here ya go...the back glass art is completely gone now..it fell out when i was there...its missing boards out of the backbox, mainly the main pcb. some lights come on.
gulfport.craigslist.org link

That actually looks pretty good. I've seen paragon playfields in a lot worse shape.

To me, missing boards in bally games aren't much of a problem. They are fairly common, aren't too expensive, and you have options to find and repair originals fairly inexpensively, or new ones from a couple of sources for a reasonable cost.

#36 6 years ago

if i hadn't just driven 15 hours to pick up a game, and currently own a beautiful paragon I'd have made the drive absolutely. Hell, still wish I could!

#37 6 years ago

I sent the seller an offer to buy it. Let’s see what happens.

#38 6 years ago

$200? Go for it!

#39 6 years ago

I ended up paying $100 for the project and I will pick it up Friday.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Cool another one saved.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Why did you pay more than $50?

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Why did you pay more than $50?

I offered $75 because someone in this thread said that at $50 a local friend was going to be interested in buying it. The seller countered at $100. At $100 it’s still a bargain.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

At $100 it’s still a bargain.

Exactly!! It just kills me at how no matter how cheap something is or how good of a deal it is to start with that they just HAVE to get a little bit better deal or they will walk away. Pinball guys are like the people that come to your garage sale and offer you .25cents for something that's marked .50cents. Give me a break.

John

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

GREAT! I’m happy for you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-non-working-should-i-scoop-it-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.