Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by StratDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

my paragon has a new altek MPU and new Rottendog rectifier board. I was playing a game the other night and all solenoids quit working. MPU boots, displays works, sounds works, and I can start a game. Checked voltages on rectifier board test points and at J1 pin 6. Both register 43 volts. Micro volts registered at the solenoids on playfield and at the playfield fuse. Fuse under playfield is good. No continuity from J1 pin 6 to fuse under playfield. So perhaps a short in the wiring?

The other troubling thing is the F5 fuse on the rectifier board is getting so hot you cannot touch it. You can smell the heat coming off the fuse, and it appears the fuse holder has melted or bubbled where it connects to the board. The fuse, however, does not blow. I have never noticed this before the issue with the solenoids.

#2 6 years ago

So as I understand you have 43v on the power supply but no volts on the playfeld? Can't be a short or the fuse would blow. The 43v comes off of J1-6 on the transformer and goes direct to the playfield fuse via a brown wire. Is there 43v on both the brown and yellow wire side of the playfield fuse? Not unusual for that fuse holder to wear out. Do you have 43v on J1-6 of the PS? If not then you have a bad connection or problem with the PS board.

F5 is the GI fuse and that circuit draws a lot of power. It should get hot, that connection gets so hot the connections on the power supply connectors char and are a pain to early Bally operators everywhere.

#3 6 years ago

Thank you for the reply. I found the problem, actually two issues causing the problem. The bottom left flipper coil plastic that the lugs is on was broken. Almost impossible to tell since the wiring to the lugs was well soldered. The fuse holder was needed t be replaced. Back in business and working properly.

I replaced the the burned/charred fuse clip at f5 on the rectifier board and it seems to have reduced the heat somewhat for now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-no-solenoids-1?hl=heavymetalballs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.