(Topic ID: 66675)

Paragon: No MPU: Buy original or Alltek?

By NJGecko

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by HPR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Here's a question..
I have a Paragon (yes, another) and it's missing an MPU. So is it worth it to buy a used 2518-35 and the ROMs for it or just spend the extra and get an Alltek?

#2 10 years ago

Some like to keep things original, but I have been very happy with the Alltek board. Free play is nice.

#3 10 years ago

Just my humble opinion, but I'd go with the Alltek. It's rock solid, and nice to have around if you have other Bally pins from the same era. It's worth the extra $$ to me.

#4 10 years ago

I've had allteks and they work well. And figure I can get an original -35 for around $100 plus a set of ROMs...for another hundred bucks I will have a brand new board that I can use in a lot more games if I wanted to....

#5 10 years ago

i put allteks in everything they work in without even looking at the old mpu .. love them.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

i put allteks in everything they work in without even looking at the old mpu

That's funny. I'm almost as gulity. I'll at least see of the original MPU boots. If not, or I see acid damage - hello Alltek.

#7 10 years ago

I had a similar problem with my Centaur. No MPU, lots of lamps out on both my lamp boards.

You can't really go wrong with the Alltek boards as a whole - it'll make troubleshooting a little easier, and there's more protection built into those boards in case something decides to go poof.

Downside, of course, is the price.. but how badly do you want your Paragon to just work?

-G

#8 10 years ago

Anybody know how hard it is to trace down a problem with the light controller? I have 3 inserts stuck on and a few others not working at all.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Anybody know how hard it is to trace down a problem with the light controller? I have 3 inserts stuck on and a few others not working at all.

get the schematic, find which transistor control that light in the insert, change it.

#10 10 years ago

Gov, lamps stuck on = bad scr.

I sell rebuilt original MPUs for $100. I have sold hundreds in the last few years and less than 1% come back for warranty work. When you fix a bally MPU correctly, they are rock solid.

#11 10 years ago

I need to fix a fuse blowing issue on a stellar wars. Is there an alltek board for williams system 4 cpu?

#12 10 years ago

Rebuilt MPUs are great if done correctly, I've even got some with a free play rom hack that work nicely. The alltek is rock solid also, so it's personal taste. Make sure if you get a "rebuilt" original mpu it is from a reputable supplier.

#13 10 years ago

I always use original boards in my machines, original displays, original all around the most possible.
Repro or replacement only if i have no choice but i'm always chasing for original parts.

That keep the nice original 80's look and the value for the long term.

#14 10 years ago

I run Allteks in all my Bally/Stern games. Can't beat the performance and the lifetime warranty. Also, the solenoid driver board has short circuit protection and other diagnostics that the original driver board doesn't have.

#15 10 years ago

This does raise a good question. At what point does having repro boards impact value? I can see where a HEP or other high end restoration may be negatively impacted if the boards are not original, but what about the average 'player' pin? Are resale prices negatively impacted by having repro boards? I'm almost of the opposite mindset, in that if I was buying a 'player' pin, I may pay a bit more knowing is has reliable repro boards.

#16 10 years ago

When original boards are restored correctly they are very reliable.
All my games runs with original boards and they all runs without a glitch for many years (some games more than 10 years now)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-no-mpu-buy-original-or-alltek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.