Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello I am currently doing a full Comet LED install on a Paragon, and I am seeing a weird issue. There are a handful of ROM controlled lights that simply do not flash or light up as they should. However, if I remove the LED bulbs from those non working sockets and install an incandescent bulb, it will work like it should. Just have not seen where a LED would not work at all before.

Is this the solution to my woes?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MB-07-010

#2 3 years ago

Are you just using an original light board with LEDs?

#3 3 years ago

Yeah wacky stuff will happen if you don't have an LED Bally/Stern kit installed.

#4 3 years ago

I've never used them but they are a cheap option.
Weebly light board also, altek light board, putting a resistor on each socket are your options.

#5 3 years ago

You can use those adapter kits or you can buy a lamp driver board from weebly or alltek that will solve this issue, I like weebly as he sells a DIY kit that 10 bucks more than the adapter kits but you get the whole board

#6 3 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1055-nvramweeblycom/04081-bally-stern-lamp-driver-board-ldb

It looks like the DIY are out of stock but the pre assembled are available

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Is this the solution to my woes?

Not for LEDs that aren't illuminating. The purpose of those boards is only to reduce flickering experienced with some LEDs.

Check the controlled lamp voltage which is the common bare braid wire connected to the base of those lamp sockets. If it measures half voltage around 3 volts instead of 6 volts then there's an issue at the rectifier board, likely bridge rectifier BR1.
Incandescent lamps will still come on with 3 volts but they'll be dimmer.

#8 3 years ago

Thanks for the help guys. Here is some more information.

I checked the voltage at the problematic bulbs, and I have 6.1V, so that's not the issue. I check the continuity of one of the floating ground wires for a problematic bulb, and the resistance is .6 ohms.

Again, if I pull the LED and put in an incandescent bulb, it lights normal and appears to be normal brightness. Could this be an issue with a chip or a couple of transistors on the lamp driver board?

#9 3 years ago

if I pull the LED and put in an incandescent bulb, it lights normal and appears to be normal brightness.

Have you proven that LED works elsewhere?

Could this be an issue with a chip or a couple of transistors on the lamp driver board?

Which lamp locations aren't working so we can backtrack?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-leds-install-issue?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.