6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by StratDoc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

The top left lamp in the Valley of Demons has decided not to work. Ground wire to the lamp socket activates the lamp. Ground wire to the corresponding SCR leg "A" activates the lamp. In diagnostic test the lamp does not work. i have also replaced the socket.

I am using a new lamp driver board.

Thanks,

#2 6 years ago

SCR on new lamp driver can be bad.

#3 6 years ago

Yep, you did everything right. Probably a bad SCR.

#4 6 years ago

Damn. I was afraid of that. It is an Alltek with those little SCR. Are they difficult to replace?

#5 6 years ago

Below the bad SCR are through holes. I read another post that said those were for replacements. What type SCR do I need? The surface mount is CR088 but that does not bring anything up when I google it.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

Below the bad SCR are through holes. I read another post that said those were for replacements. What type SCR do I need? The surface mount is CR088 but that does not bring anything up when I google it.

Can stick a logic probe no the gate of the SCR to make sure the decoder chip is doing work.

i think the alltek board has a through holes as well as surface mount pads, so you should be able to fit a new through hole SCR like MCR100 / 2n45064. The bigger SCR is MCR106.

Depending on the surface mount package type of the original SCR you can usually get a solder blob on all the legs with a traditional iron to get it loose. Cut off any / all legs if you can get snips on it. If the original SCR failed completely open you could probably even leave it in place, but I imagine you want it off.

#7 6 years ago

Great. I have both. Install the flat part of the 2n45064 with ID oriented down when the board is installed in back cabinet?

#8 6 years ago

Dropped ina 2n45604 in the through holes. Backenup and going. Thanks

#9 6 years ago

So, now I have a new lamp problem. The "O" at the top saucer will not light. Ground wire to socket base it lights. Ground wire to Q25 the SCR, does not light. I buzzed the Q25 with a logic probe and it appears okay. I checked continuity on Q25 and it also appears okay. don't know why the alltek board has decided to start acting up.

#10 6 years ago

So this is interesting. When I reinstalled the Alltek Lamp board after replacing SCR, I noticed one of the ground screws was missing so i reinstalled the board with two ground screws. If I remove the second ground screw the "O" lights back up. It must short to the back box somewhere.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-lamp-question?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.