(Topic ID: 282086)

Paragon Help

By paulbaptiste

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Was chasing down a problem on my Paragon and created another. Was losing power to parts of the playfield and noticed some loose connections on J1 of my solenoid driver board. I replaced the connectors and removed the board to clean up any cold solder joints.

When I replaced the board the game starts up, boots correctly but I have no displays. Also no bumpers or slingshots are active during play. When I place in test mode I have nothing in displays. When I go into solenoid test all bumpers and slingshots fire. Any idea what I did here? Fuses seem to be fine.

Also swapped in the solenoid driver from Silverbsll and same symptoms.

Appreciate the help!

#2 3 years ago

Forgot to mention I swapped the solenoid board from Silverball mania in to see if it made any difference and it did not.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Forgot to mention I swapped the solenoid board from Silverball mania in to see if it made any difference and it did not.

Did you check fuses on your power supply?
Check test points on your power supply and solenoid driver board?
Do you have another MPU to try in your Paragon?

David
www.pinballdoctor.com

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Did you check fuses on your power supply?
Check test points on your power supply and solenoid driver board?
Do you have another MPU to try in your Paragon?
David
www.pinballdoctor.com

I checked and replaced all fuses. I haven't checked test points yet. I have a frontier and silverball here. Can I temporarily swap either of those in? There is currently an Altek mpu in paragon.

#5 3 years ago

I reset some of the connectors I replaced in the J1 connector of the solenoid driver board. I now have displays and one of 3 pop bumpers work. Slingshots work occasionally. Can all this be a symptom of incomplete work on that connector?

Again when in self test all pop bumpers fire and slingshots work. In game I only have the upper left pop working and bottom right sling (intermittently working)

Any help?

#6 3 years ago

Also put the solenoid driver board from paragon into my silverball and silverball worked perfectly. I do have an altek mpu in my silverball I can swap into paragon if needed.

Just for background. I didnt have these problems before I repinned the J1 connector. The game would start and function normally but the solenoids on the playfield would lose power mid game. I noticed lose connectors on J1 so started there.

#7 3 years ago

Yes connectors are very suspect. Shine a flash light through the back of all the .100 pinned connectors in question and where there is a bigger gap than the others, replace those pins at minimum. You should have a good crimping tool and .100 pins. I use the ratcheting style crimper and it gives a solid perfect crimp every time.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Yes connectors are very suspect. Shine a flash light through the back of all the .100 pinned connectors in question and where there is a bigger gap than the others, replace those pins at minimum. You should have a good crimping tool and .100 pins. I use the ratcheting style crimper and it gives a solid perfect crimp every time.

I'm thinking this has to be the culprit. I have a ratcheting tool and .100 connectors. I struggled in the beginning not to crush too much of the connector so maybe have some lose connections still.. I will go through them all again.

Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-help-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.