(Topic ID: 60514)

Paragon display help (Now displays are working! Coils are not....)

By Gov

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2558.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fanatic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 6 years ago

I had a similar problem.

I used this guide to troubleshoot:
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index3.htm#display

Scroll down to section "3n When things don't work - High Voltage section problems".
The photo shows the high voltage section of the solenoid driver board. Under that plastic line shield is a tiny 8AG fuse. This fuse protects the high-voltage side of all displays. I'm suggesting this as another place to check while you're looking.
Just as a reminder, you need to remove at least one end of the fuse from the fuse-holder to properly check for continuity on fuses (just in case you weren't already).

The above article has a really good walk-through for checking the power supply, rectifier board, and other items. Your troubleshooting method appears to be sound. Start at the source - where voltages are derived. Chase through the system until the fault becomes evident.

#14 6 years ago

I'm glad that little fuse solved your problem (mostly)!

A 1/4 amp fuse is a touch too large. Yes, your displays will work but they are over-fused and exposed to risk of over-current. I used a 1/4 amp fuse temporarily for troubleshooting but I really don't recommend this practice. Get the right one installed ASAP.
This site has your fuses and many other parts:
http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/

Still talking about your displays. The missing digit is an easy fix. I used this article to track down the offending parts:
http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_disp6r.htm
Scroll down to the part dealing with the level shifters.

As for playfield coils:
Use the flipperwinkel guide I posted above. Section "3i" will get you started. If it were me, I would start at the rectifier board. I have a 1984 system so it may be different.
If we have the same board (AS-2518-54):
You should find +43vdc between TP5 and Gnd
This circuit is protected by a 5A fuse labeled "F4"
Hope this helps.

Another handy thing to use while troubleshooting your coil circuit is to rig up a circuit breaker (sized appropriately for your circuit). Much better than "smoking" fuses while you look for a problem. Also, don't risk using too-large of a fuse while troubleshooting. You're likely to "smoke" something downstream and create a much larger problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 30.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 7.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fanatic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside