(Topic ID: 60514)

Paragon display help (Now displays are working! Coils are not....)

By Gov

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2558.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I recently picked up a working Paragon for free After replacing a couple of fuses, everything works except the displays. I did see them flicker on the first time I turned the game on, but have not been able to even get them to flicker since then. I have wiggled all of the wires and connectors to see if that might be the problem, but I can't seem to get anything out of them.

Can anybody tell me which connector is responsible for the displays on the board or a good place to start checking? I am new to Bally's after messing with Gottlieb System 80's for a while.

IMG_2558.JPGIMG_2558.JPG

#2 10 years ago

the board pins probally need to be reflowed.

#3 10 years ago

Do you know which plug controls the displays? That is kind of what I figured, but usually when you wiggle them on a problem like that something will at least flicker.

#4 10 years ago

Before you cook your displays, do you have meter to check your display voltage?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I recently picked up a working Paragon for free

Awesome .. congrats ..I'm not jealous .. honest

i found this really helpful with reco of mine.
http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_disp6r.htm

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Before you cook your displays, do you have meter to check your display voltage?

Yes I do, just need to know where to start.

#7 10 years ago

As Vid said, check your display voltage. I would suggest starting at the rectifier board, then solenoid driver after that. If your voltages are okay, then check the upper left connector on the CPU board.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

Awesome .. congrats ..I'm not jealous .. honest
i found this really helpful with reco of mine.

Thanks, that is helpful!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

As Vid said, check your display voltage. I would suggest starting at the rectifier board, then solenoid driver after that. If your voltages are okay, then check the upper left connector on the CPU board.

rgr that. I am going to check voltages and report back

#10 10 years ago

Well, voltages look good until I got to J3-8 on the solenoid driver board. I wasn't getting anything from that post. Fun thing happened though. Now the high voltage doesn't seem to be working at all as none of the coils on the playfield are working now and they were before. Checked the fuses and they are all fine. Oh well, that is enough for tonight. I will tear back into it tomorrow.

#12 10 years ago

I had a similar problem.

I used this guide to troubleshoot:
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index3.htm#display

Scroll down to section "3n When things don't work - High Voltage section problems".
The photo shows the high voltage section of the solenoid driver board. Under that plastic line shield is a tiny 8AG fuse. This fuse protects the high-voltage side of all displays. I'm suggesting this as another place to check while you're looking.
Just as a reminder, you need to remove at least one end of the fuse from the fuse-holder to properly check for continuity on fuses (just in case you weren't already).

The above article has a really good walk-through for checking the power supply, rectifier board, and other items. Your troubleshooting method appears to be sound. Start at the source - where voltages are derived. Chase through the system until the fault becomes evident.

#13 10 years ago

Good news everybody!

The displays are now working. It turns out that the little 3/16A fuse was blown. I got a remote fuse holder and a 1/4A fuse to test to see if that made a difference. I only had them on for a minute. Will that 1/4A fuse do long term damage? If so I will have to order the right ones over the internet and wait it out I guess. All of the displays lit up and look good aside from a missing digit on the player one display. The hundreds digit. However, I still do not have any power to the coils on the playfield. The game starts fine and switches work, but no go on the coils. I took all of the fuses out and checked them and they seem ok. So, anybody have a suggestion on where to check on that?

Thanks for the help so far!!

#14 10 years ago

I'm glad that little fuse solved your problem (mostly)!

A 1/4 amp fuse is a touch too large. Yes, your displays will work but they are over-fused and exposed to risk of over-current. I used a 1/4 amp fuse temporarily for troubleshooting but I really don't recommend this practice. Get the right one installed ASAP.
This site has your fuses and many other parts:
http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/

Still talking about your displays. The missing digit is an easy fix. I used this article to track down the offending parts:
Scroll down to the part dealing with the level shifters.

As for playfield coils:
Use the flipperwinkel guide I posted above. Section "3i" will get you started. If it were me, I would start at the rectifier board. I have a 1984 system so it may be different.
If we have the same board (AS-2518-54):
You should find +43vdc between TP5 and Gnd
This circuit is protected by a 5A fuse labeled "F4"
Hope this helps.

Another handy thing to use while troubleshooting your coil circuit is to rig up a circuit breaker (sized appropriately for your circuit). Much better than "smoking" fuses while you look for a problem. Also, don't risk using too-large of a fuse while troubleshooting. You're likely to "smoke" something downstream and create a much larger problem.

#15 10 years ago

3/16 = 0.1875
1/4 = 0.25

Close enough in my opinion. In fact i always use a 1/4amp or 210 mA fuse because 3/16a is hard to find. Bally didn't even fuse the regulated side of this circuit on the first generation boads. If the HV transistors short this fuse won't even blow and +230v goes right to the displays (bally design here is stupid).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-display-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.